About This Chapter
AEPA ELA: Strategies for Narrative Writing - Chapter Summary
These lessons are designed to teach narrative writing techniques. While preparing for the AEPA ELA teacher certification examination, you could fine tune your understanding of literary style and narrative techniques. Use this chapter's entertaining educational videos in order to:
- Understand and define narrative nonfiction
- Explain how to write a strong essay
- Identify the characteristics of a narrative essay and provide examples of an autobiography
- Discuss the purpose of organizational patterns
- Outline various narrative techniques
- Explain the use of sensory language
- Provide examples of the active and passive voice
- Explore literary style in writing
- Describe the use of diction and tone in writing
When you work through these lessons, you'll refresh your memory of the narrative writing strategies you learned in college, and you may pick up some new information. Your lesson instructors are experienced educators who are available to answer your submitted questions on this chapter's topics. Take the short quizzes that follow the lessons to ensure your ability to answer corresponding questions on the AEPA ELA examination.
AEPA ELA - Strategies for Narrative Writing - Chapter Objectives
The questions on the Modes of Writing domain of the computer-based AEPA ELA examination will evaluate your understanding of narrative writing strategies. In part, you'll be tested on your ability to identify sensory details and to use the appropriate tone, style, and voice in narrative writing. This fourth domain of the five-domain assessment is worth 23% of the entire score. To achieve a passing score on the test as a whole, you'll be required to answer 150 multiple-choice questions within a three-hour time frame.
1. Narrative Nonfiction: Definition & Books
A lot of the nonfiction you've read may not have been for pleasure, so you might not think that factual works can be any fun. You can dispel that myth in this lesson, where you'll be introduced to the entertaining yet informative genre of narrative nonfiction and get to see a few popular examples.
2. How to Write a Strong Personal Essay
At some point, you may be required to write a personal essay. Watch this video to learn how to turn your personal experiences into an effective essay.
3. Narrative Essay: Definition, Examples & Characteristics
Essays come in many forms. In this lesson, you'll learn all about a narrative essay, from its basic definition to the key characteristics that make for an engaging and effective essay.
4. Autobiography: Definition & Examples
This lesson examines the genre of nonfiction. Specifically, you will learn how an autobiography is nonfiction, with examples illustrating the concepts.
5. Organizational Patterns for Writing: Purpose and Types
Ever read a piece of writing and simply not understand the message? Knowing the structure of the writing will often help you understand it. Watch this video lesson to learn about structure of writing.
6. Narrative Techniques in Writing: Definition, Types & Examples
In this lesson, we will examine various types of narrative techniques in writing, as well as examples of the literary techniques relevant to style, plot, and perspective/point of view.
7. How to Use Descriptive Details & Sensory Language in Your Writing
When you write a narrative, you can draw your reader into your experiences by adding specific, concrete details to your storytelling. This lesson tells you exactly how to do it.
8. Sensory Language: Definition & Examples
This lesson assists you in identifying and understanding the components of sensory writing found in literature. Learn more about sensory writing and test your understanding with a short quiz.
9. Voice in Writing: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you'll learn what voice is in writing and how it can be used to make your writing unique. Take a look at some examples and then test your knowledge with a quiz.
10. Active and Passive Voice
You may have heard your teachers toss around the terms 'passive voice' and 'active voice'. But if you've never really understood what it means to write actively or passively, stick with us -- and learn how to turn to awkward passive sentences into bright, active ones.
11. Literary Style: Definition & Examples
This lesson will assist you in understanding all components of literary style found in literature and how they can be applied to your writing. Learn more about literary style and test your understanding through a quiz.
12. Diction: Definition & Examples
In writing, diction refers to word selection. This lesson will explain the importance of diction, as well as how diction can be used to create voice and impact in one's writing.
13. What is Tone? - Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you'll learn what tone is in writing and how it can be used to make your writing more interesting to your audience by taking a look at some examples.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AEPA English Language Arts (NT301): Practice & Study Guide course
- AEPA ELA: Vocabulary & Reading Comprehension
- AEPA ELA: Reading Informational Texts
- AEPA ELA: Reading Persuasive Texts
- AEPA ELA: Technical & Functional Texts
- AEPA ELA: Literary Nonfiction, Fiction & Drama
- AEPA ELA: Literary Devices
- AEPA ELA: Structure & Elements of Fiction
- AEPA ELA: Poetic Forms
- AEPA ELA: Poetic Devices
- AEPA ELA: World Literature
- AEPA ELA: Social & Political Expression in World Literature
- AEPA ELA: Standard American English Conventions
- AEPA ELA: Essay Elements & Structure
- AEPA ELA: The Writing Process
- AEPA ELA: Writing a Research Paper
- AEPA ELA: Strategies for Expository Writing
- AEPA ELA: Analytical & Persuasive Writing
- AEPA ELA: Effective Listening & Speaking
- AEPA ELA: Using Media Sources Effectively
- AEPA English Language Arts Flashcards