About This Chapter
AEPA General Science: Earth's Atmosphere & Climate - Chapter Summary
As part of your studies for the National Evaluation Series (NES) General Science exam, this chapter will help you study for questions regarding atmospheric structures and processes, along with some of the factors that influence them. Start this review by watching our processional instructors in a series of short, engaging lesson videos about:
- Components and structures of the atmosphere
- Effects of solar radiation
- Atmospheric cycles
- Humidity, cloud formation and precipitation
- Processes of air lift
- Global distributions of the different types of climates
- Factors that determine the climate of a region
- Causes and effects of global warming
Take the lesson quizzes that accompany these lessons to test your understanding of the topics presented. Also use these quizzes to find out which topics you haven't mastered. Improve your mastery over these topics by returning to the lesson videos via the video tags. These videos tags will allow you to skip over the topics you've already mastered while you review the ones you haven't.
1. Major Components of the Atmosphere
Our atmosphere is a complex mixture of many different gases. In this video lesson you will identify the major components of Earth's atmosphere as well as how much there is of each.
2. The Structure of the Atmosphere
If you've ever climbed a mountain or been to the beach, you know that the atmosphere is different at different levels. This lesson explains how the structure of the atmosphere is really like a layer cake.
3. What is Solar Radiation? - Definition & Effects
The sun plays an important role to us on Earth. It provides many things such as light and warmth. But, what is solar radiation and how does it affect us? In this video lesson, you'll learn about solar radiation, how it allows us to survive, and the influence it has on our global climate.
4. Temperature, Clouds, Wind & Humidity on the Atmospheric Cycle
Weather is the current state of the atmosphere and is determined by factors like temperature, pressure and humidity. These factors that cause periodic changes in the Earth's air masses are explored in this lesson.
5. What is Humidity? - Definition, Measurements & Effects
Humidity is an important aspect of the atmosphere because it affects both weather and climate. In this video lesson you will learn about the different types of humidity and understand how temperature affects water vapor in the air.
6. What is Cloud Formation? - Definition, Types & Process
There are many different types of clouds that form in the sky. In this video lesson you will learn about how clouds form, as well as the different types of clouds and how they are classified.
7. Air Lift: Definition & Processes
In this video lesson, you will learn about air lift. You will also identify the different ways air is lifted, as well as some of the effects each mechanism has.
8. What is Precipitation? - Definition, Types & Formation
Precipitation comes in many forms, but it all comes from the same general process. In this video lesson you will identify different types of precipitation, as well as how precipitation forms in the atmosphere from condensation.
9. Climate Classifications & Their Global Distribution
Earth has many climates, but we can categorize them based on common characteristics. In this video lesson you will identify the 5 major climate classifications on Earth, as well as where on Earth these climates are found.
10. Natural Factors That Determine a Region's Climate
Climate is influenced by factors like atmosphere, ocean currents, landforms and plate tectonics. This lesson explains how these effects affect our weather patterns, which determine climate.
11. Global Warming: Atmospheric Causes and Effect on Climate
Global warming is a multifaceted, complex issue. It involves both natural and human causes that can increase the amount of greenhouse gases. This lesson looks at some of the facts about global warming and how they could contribute to climate change.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AEPA General Science (NT311): Practice & Study Guide course
- General Science: Scientific Inquiry
- General Science: Scientific Laws & Theories
- General Science: Scientific Data & Analysis
- General Science: Laboratory Equipment & Safety
- General Science: Science & Society
- General Science: Science in Daily Life
- General Science: Organization of Matter
- General Science: Characteristics of Matter
- General Science: Atomic Structure
- General Science: Nuclear Chemistry
- General Science: Energy & Matter
- General Science: Simple Compounds & Chemical Formulas
- General Science: Types of Chemical Reactions
- General Science: The Mole Concept
- General Science: The Periodic Table
- General Science: Chemical Reactions
- General Science: Equilibrium
- General Science: Acid-Base Chemistry
- General Science: Solutions & Solubility Factors
- General Science: Physics & Motion
- General Science: Newton's Laws
- General Science: Analyzing Motion
- General Science: Analyzing Forces
- General Science: Electrical Concepts
- General Science: Magnetic Fields & Forces
- General Science: Electromagnetic Spectrum
- General Science: Waves, Optics & Sound
- General Science: Cell Structure & Function
- General Science: Cell Reproduction & Division
- General Science: Biochemistry of Life
- General Science: Characteristics of Living Organisms
- General Science: Plant Structures & Functions
- General Science: The Circulatory System
- General Science: The Nervous System
- General Science: The Immune & Endocrine Systems
- General Science: Other Physiological Systems
- General Science: Reproduction & Development
- General Science: Basic Genetics
- General Science: DNA Transcription & Translation Process
- General Science: Genetic Engineering
- General Science: Evolution
- General Science: History of Life
- General Science: Ecosystems
- General Science: Community & Population Ecology
- General Science: Earth Materials
- General Science: Rocks & Minerals
- General Science: Historical Geology
- General Science: Erosion, Weathering & Wasting
- General Science: Earth's Structure & Processes
- General Science: Plate Tectonics
- General Science: The Water Cycle
- General Science: Oceans
- General Science: Glaciers
- General Science: Other Bodies of Water
- General Science: Basic Weather Concepts
- General Science: The Solar System
- General Science: Earth, Moon & Sun
- General Science: Characteristics of the Moon
- General Science: The Universe
- General Science: Orbits of Celestial Bodies
- AEPA General Science Flashcards