About This Chapter
AEPA General Science: Oceans - Chapter Summary
These lessons and quizzes are a fast and easy way to get up to speed for the AEPA General Science exam. You'll review everything you'll need to know about oceans, including tides, marine organisms and the characteristics of different types of shorelines. The lessons also cover the following topics:
- Passive and active continental margins
- Ocean basins and ridges
- Properties of ocean water
- Ocean circulation patterns and their effect on climates
- Types of waves and their impact on erosion
- Longshore transport
Each video lesson is less than ten minutes long, so you can quickly catch up on the topics you need to review. Use the video timeline tags to skip topics you already know and rewatch those you are a bit rusty on. Our expert instructors are here to answer any questions you might have about the lesson material.
AEPA General Science: Oceans Objectives
This chapter will help you with questions in the earth and space science section of the AEPA General Science exam, which makes up about 19% of the score. For the ocean-related questions on the test, you'll need to demonstrate your understanding of the characteristics and processes of ocean systems, coastal processes and the relationship between oceans and the atmosphere.
The AEPA General Science exam is a part of the certification process to become a science teacher in Arizona. Questions are all multiple-choice, and will be answered on a computer. The exam takes three hours to complete and has 150 questions.
1. Active & Passive Continental Margins
Continental margins are areas that separate the continental crust and oceanic crust. Discover the differences between the tectonically active continental margins and the relatively quiet passive continental margins.
2. Ocean Basins: Definition, Formation, Features & Types
Ocean basins are those areas found under the sea. They can be relatively inactive areas where deposits of sediment slowly collect or active areas where tectonic plates meet. Learn how ocean basins form and about features such as oceanic ridges and trenches.
3. Oceanic Ridge System: Formation & Distribution
The oceanic ridge system is a continuous underwater mountain range with parts found in every ocean of the world. The ridge system is created when magma rising between diverging plates of the lithosphere cools and forms a new layer of crust.
4. Properties of Ocean Water
Ocean waters are salty and contain minerals and dissolved gases. They also have a high heat capacity and vary in density depending on temperature and salinity. Learn more about the unique chemical and physical properties of ocean water.
5. Types of Marine Organisms
Many marine organisms thrive under the surface of the ocean. Learn about the biodiversity of the oceans, from the microscopic plankton to the enormous whales, and how these organisms adapt to their oceanic environment.
6. Ocean Circulation: Patterns & Effect on Climate
The ocean waters are always in motion and as they travel around the globe they carry and distribute heat, which affects the global climate. Learn about the ocean circulation patterns and how they impact the climate.
7. Characteristics of Shorelines & Beaches
Shorelines and beaches are constantly changing due to forces, such as waves, winds and currents. Learn about characteristics of shorelines, including headlands, bays, beach berms, sand dunes, spits, tombolos, barrier islands and lagoons.
8. Waves: Types, Features & Effect on Erosion
There are different types of ocean waves, including wind waves, tsunamis and tidal waves. Learn the features of waves and how their erosive effect creates the unique features found on the shoreline.
9. Contributing Factors of Longshore Transport: Beach Drift & Longshore Current
The longshore transport is the process responsible for the movement of sand and sediment along the coastline. Sand and other particles are transported with the help of the longshore current and beach drift. Learn how these factors shape shorelines.
10. What Are Tides? - Causes & Effects
Tides rise and fall under the influence of the gravitational pull of the moon and sun. Learn about different tides, why they are predictable and their effects on coastal regions of the world.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AEPA General Science: Practice & Study Guide course
- General Science: Scientific Inquiry
- General Science: Scientific Laws & Theories
- General Science: Scientific Data & Analysis
- General Science: Laboratory Equipment & Safety
- General Science: Science & Society
- General Science: Science in Daily Life
- General Science: Organization of Matter
- General Science: Characteristics of Matter
- General Science: Atomic Structure
- General Science: Nuclear Chemistry
- General Science: Energy & Matter
- General Science: Simple Compounds & Chemical Formulas
- General Science: Types of Chemical Reactions
- General Science: The Mole Concept
- General Science: The Periodic Table
- General Science: Chemical Reactions
- General Science: Equilibrium
- General Science: Acid-Base Chemistry
- General Science: Solutions & Solubility Factors
- General Science: Physics & Motion
- General Science: Newton's Laws
- General Science: Analyzing Motion
- General Science: Analyzing Forces
- General Science: Electrical Concepts
- General Science: Magnetic Fields & Forces
- General Science: Electromagnetic Spectrum
- General Science: Waves, Optics & Sound
- General Science: Cell Structure & Function
- General Science: Cell Reproduction & Division
- General Science: Biochemistry of Life
- General Science: Characteristics of Living Organisms
- General Science: Plant Structures & Functions
- General Science: The Circulatory System
- General Science: The Nervous System
- General Science: The Immune & Endocrine Systems
- General Science: Other Physiological Systems
- General Science: Reproduction & Development
- General Science: Basic Genetics
- General Science: DNA Transcription & Translation Process
- General Science: Genetic Engineering
- General Science: Evolution
- General Science: History of Life
- General Science: Ecosystems
- General Science: Community & Population Ecology
- General Science: Earth Materials
- General Science: Rocks & Minerals
- General Science: Historical Geology
- General Science: Erosion, Weathering & Wasting
- General Science: Earth's Structure & Processes
- General Science: Plate Tectonics
- General Science: The Water Cycle
- General Science: Glaciers
- General Science: Other Bodies of Water
- General Science: Earth's Atmosphere & Climate
- General Science: Basic Weather Concepts
- General Science: The Solar System
- General Science: Earth, Moon & Sun
- General Science: Characteristics of the Moon
- General Science: The Universe
- General Science: Orbits of Celestial Bodies