About This Chapter
AEPA Math: Area Under the Curve and Integrals - Chapter Summary
The educational video lessons in this chapter prepare you to answer some of the questions on the AEPA Math examination. Reinforce what you know about finding the sums of areas under graphs and functions. Explore methods for using the Riemann sum to calculate definite integrals, and study the applications of the average value theorem. This chapter can also assist you with:
- Calculating integrals and areas using Riemann sums
- Finding the limits of Riemann sums
- Defining and writing the equation for a definite integral, and exploring its linear properties
- Explaining the average value theorem
- Using the fundamental theorem of calculus
- Finding and using antiderivatives
These concepts are taught by educated instructors, who make the learning process fun and entertaining. Watch the video lessons, submit your questions to instructors and take the short self-assessment quizzes. You can review the material at your own pace as you prepare to answer related questions on the AEPA Math examination.
AEPA Math: Area Under the Curve & Integrals - Chapter Objectives
Your ability to understand and teach integral calculus will be assessed in the Trigonometry and Calculus section of the AEPA Math examination. Comprising 19% of the overall test score, this section includes many of the topics presented in this chapter. You'll be required to take a clear approach to problem-solving when you answer the 150 multiple-choice questions. You cannot exceed four hours and 15 minutes when taking this computer-based examination. You are allowed to use an on-screen calculator while testing.
1. How to Use Riemann Sums for Functions and Graphs
Find out how Riemann sums can be used to calculate multiple areas efficiently. In this lesson, you'll learn how this can come in handy for irregular areas and how you can put it to use.
2. How to Find the Limits of Riemann Sums
What would happen if you could draw an infinite number of infinitesimally thin rectangles? You'd get the exact area under a curve! Define the Holy Grail of calculus, the integral, in this lesson.
3. Definite Integrals: Definition
Explore how driving backwards takes you where you've already been as we define definite integrals. This lesson will also teach you the relationship between definite integrals and Riemann sums. Then, discover how an integral changes when it is above and below the x-axis.
4. How to Use Riemann Sums to Calculate Integrals
As a new property owner, you might relish mowing your lawn. Up and down your property you mow and measure out small sections to find the area of your property. In this lesson, you will discover what a Riemann sum approach is and how to calculate an estimated area using multiple slices.
5. Linear Properties of Definite Integrals
If you're having integration problems, this lesson will relate integrals to everyday driving examples. We'll review a few linear properties of definite integrals while practicing with some problems.
6. Average Value Theorem
If you know you've gone 120 miles in 2 hours, you're averaging 60 mph. But what if you know your velocity at every point in time and not how far you've gone? In this lesson, learn how to calculate average values using integrals.
7. The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus
The fundamental theorem of calculus is one of the most important equations in math. In this lesson we start to explore what the ubiquitous FTOC means as we careen down the road at 30 mph.
8. Indefinite Integrals as Anti Derivatives
What does an anti-derivative have to do with a derivative? Is a definite integral a self-confident version of an indefinite integral? Learn how to define these in this lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AEPA Mathematics (NT304): Practice & Study Guide course
- AEPA Math: Properties of Real Numbers
- AEPA Math: Fractions
- AEPA Math: Decimals & Percents
- AEPA Math: Ratios & Proportions
- AEPA Math: Units of Measure & Conversions
- AEPA Math: Logic
- AEPA Math: Reasoning
- AEPA Math: Vector Operations
- AEPA Math: Matrix Operations & Determinants
- AEPA Math: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- AEPA Math: Algebraic Expressions
- AEPA Math: Linear Equations
- AEPA Math: Inequalities
- AEPA Math: Absolute Value
- AEPA Math: Quadratic Equations
- AEPA Math: Polynomials
- AEPA Math: Rational Expressions
- AEPA Math: Radical Expressions
- AEPA Math: Systems of Equations
- AEPA Math: Complex Numbers
- AEPA Math: Functions
- AEPA Math: Piecewise Functions
- AEPA Math: Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- AEPA Math: Continuity of Functions
- AEPA Math: Limits
- AEPA Math: Rate of Change
- AEPA Math: Derivative Rules
- AEPA Math: Graphing Derivatives
- AEPA Math: Applications of Derivatives
- AEPA Math: Integration Techniques
- AEPA Math: Applications of Integration
- AEPA Math: Foundations of Geometry
- AEPA Math: Geometric Figures
- AEPA Math: Properties of Triangles
- AEPA Math: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- AEPA Math: Parallel Lines & Polygons
- AEPA Math: Quadrilaterals
- AEPA Math: Circles & Arc of a Circle
- AEPA Math: Conic Sections
- AEPA Math: Geometric Solids
- AEPA Math: Analytical Geometry
- AEPA Math: Using Trigonometric Functions
- AEPA Math: Trigonometric Graphs
- AEPA Math: Solving Trigonometric Equations
- AEPA Math: Trigonometric Identities
- AEPA Math: Sequences & Series
- AEPA Math: Graph Theory
- AEPA Math: Set Theory
- AEPA Math: Statistics Overview
- AEPA Math: Summarizing Data
- AEPA Math: Tables, Plots & Graphs
- AEPA Math: Probability
- AEPA Math: Discrete Probability Distributions
- AEPA Math: Continuous Probability Distributions
- AEPA Math: Sampling
- AEPA Math: Regression & Correlation
- AEPA Mathematics Flashcards