About This Chapter
AEPA Math: Continuous Probability Distributions - Chapter Summary
If you could use a bit of a refresher on probability distributions of the continuous variety, check out the video lessons in this chapter which will help prepare you to answer test questions about:
- Probability distributions graphs of random variables
- Interpretation of continuous random variables in terms of expected value
- Theoretical development of continuous probability distributions
- Normal distribution properties
- Using normal distributions to estimate population percentages
- Approximating binomial probabilities using normal distribution
Our expert instructors have made these video lessons brief and engaging for quick and effective review. Short, multiple-choice quizzes follow each lesson to help ensure you're grasping and retaining the concepts you set out to review.
Objectives of the AEPA Math: Continuous Probability Distributions Chapter
To assess the readiness of current and aspiring secondary teachers to teach math, Arizona State now uses the NES Mathematics exam instead of the AEPA math exam. This test is computer-based and consists of 150 multiple-choice questions divided into five sections. Information relevant to this title is in the Statistics, Probability and Discrete Mathematics section. Specifically, probability objectives that you could be tested on throughout this section include determining probabilities of simple and compound events; determining conditional probabilities; calculating probabilities using counting principles and a variety of graphical representations, and analyzing various types of probability distributions including uniform, binomial and normal varieties.
Since there are multiple objectives related to probabilities in a section that accounts for about 19% of the total exam, it would be wise to review these topics as you prepare for the AEPA Mathematics test.
1. Graphing Probability Distributions Associated with Random Variables
What's a random variable? Does it have anything to do with gambling? What's the difference between a continuous and a discrete variable? This lesson explains the difference and how to graph each one.
2. Finding & Interpreting the Expected Value of a Continuous Random Variable
How can you find the expected value of something like height distributions? This lesson explains how to find and interpret the expected value of a continuous random variable.
3. Developing Continuous Probability Distributions Theoretically & Finding Expected Values
What is an expected value? How can you tell how many time you should expect a coin to land on heads out of several flips? This lesson will show you the answers to both questions!
4. Normal Distribution: Definition, Properties, Characteristics & Example
In this lesson, we will look at the Normal Distribution, more commonly known as the Bell Curve. We'll look at some of its fascinating properties and learn why it is one of the most important distributions in the study of data.
5. Estimating Population Percentages from Normal Distributions: The Empirical Rule & Examples
If you've been working with z-scores for long, you probably get tired of checking those tables every time you need to check the area under the curve. Luckily, the empirical rule helps us memorize the most important values.
6. Using Normal Distribution to Approximate Binomial Probabilities
Binomial probabilities describe processes in our world. Learn how to create and interpret a binomial probability distribution graph, and discover how the normal distribution can form a good approximation of the binomial distribution.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AEPA Mathematics (NT304): Practice & Study Guide course
- AEPA Math: Properties of Real Numbers
- AEPA Math: Fractions
- AEPA Math: Decimals & Percents
- AEPA Math: Ratios & Proportions
- AEPA Math: Units of Measure & Conversions
- AEPA Math: Logic
- AEPA Math: Reasoning
- AEPA Math: Vector Operations
- AEPA Math: Matrix Operations & Determinants
- AEPA Math: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- AEPA Math: Algebraic Expressions
- AEPA Math: Linear Equations
- AEPA Math: Inequalities
- AEPA Math: Absolute Value
- AEPA Math: Quadratic Equations
- AEPA Math: Polynomials
- AEPA Math: Rational Expressions
- AEPA Math: Radical Expressions
- AEPA Math: Systems of Equations
- AEPA Math: Complex Numbers
- AEPA Math: Functions
- AEPA Math: Piecewise Functions
- AEPA Math: Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- AEPA Math: Continuity of Functions
- AEPA Math: Limits
- AEPA Math: Rate of Change
- AEPA Math: Derivative Rules
- AEPA Math: Graphing Derivatives
- AEPA Math: Applications of Derivatives
- AEPA Math: Area Under the Curve & Integrals
- AEPA Math: Integration Techniques
- AEPA Math: Applications of Integration
- AEPA Math: Foundations of Geometry
- AEPA Math: Geometric Figures
- AEPA Math: Properties of Triangles
- AEPA Math: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- AEPA Math: Parallel Lines & Polygons
- AEPA Math: Quadrilaterals
- AEPA Math: Circles & Arc of a Circle
- AEPA Math: Conic Sections
- AEPA Math: Geometric Solids
- AEPA Math: Analytical Geometry
- AEPA Math: Using Trigonometric Functions
- AEPA Math: Trigonometric Graphs
- AEPA Math: Solving Trigonometric Equations
- AEPA Math: Trigonometric Identities
- AEPA Math: Sequences & Series
- AEPA Math: Graph Theory
- AEPA Math: Set Theory
- AEPA Math: Statistics Overview
- AEPA Math: Summarizing Data
- AEPA Math: Tables, Plots & Graphs
- AEPA Math: Probability
- AEPA Math: Discrete Probability Distributions
- AEPA Math: Sampling
- AEPA Math: Regression & Correlation
- AEPA Mathematics Flashcards