About This Chapter
AEPA Math: Functions - Chapter Summary
Strengthen your knowledge of functions before you take the AEPA Math exam. You'll see helpful examples and clear definitions for the domain and range of composite functions as you're studying the content in this chapter. Other information on functions brought to your attention via text and video lessons includes:
- How to compose functions
- Graphic, numeric and algebraic comparisons of function properties
- Function addition, subtraction, multiplication and division
- Even, odd and inverse functions
- Different kinds of math transformations
- Various ways to recognize symmetry about the x-axis and y-axis
- Compounding functions and graphing functions of functions
Our professional instructors will make you more familiar with these topics through their effective teaching styles. The video lessons are short, and they express the text content to you in an easily understood way.
Objectives of the AEPA Math: Functions Chapter
Part of the AEPA Math exam's content is concerned with your knowledge of various functions topics. Questions that relate to functions can be found in the Patterns, Algebra and Functions content domain of the test, which is worth about 24% of the exam score. The test questions are all multiple-choice and there are 150 of them. The time limit set for getting through all the questions is 4 hours and 15 minutes. This computer-based exam has a scientific calculator that appears on the screen for your use and there is also a page with formulas to reference. Try this chapter's practice quizzes for a fast way to gauge your comprehension of functions before test day.
1. Compare Properties of Functions Algebraically
In this lesson, we will explore algebraic and numeric properties and the evaluation of functions. We'll demonstrate function evaluations and the idea that every element of the domain has a unique element in the range.
2. Compare Properties of Functions Graphically
In this lesson, we will cover the characteristics of graphs of functions. We will employ the vertical line test and understand why some graphs do not qualify as functions.
3. Compare Properties of Functions Numerically
Can you compare functions when they're written out numerically as tables of values? In this lesson, you'll learn to do just that and to compare one function as a table to another written in a different form.
4. Transformations: How to Shift Graphs on a Plane
What is a transformation? Well, it's something that transforms one function into another! To see what I mean and how that looks, check out this lesson!
5. What Is Domain and Range in a Function?
The domain and range are the possible outputs and inputs of a function. In this lesson, learn about what might restrict the domain and how to figure out the domain and range from a graph.
6. How to Add, Subtract, Multiply and Divide Functions
Adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing functions is about as simple as substituting in expressions and then just doing whichever operation it asks you to do. Check out this video lesson to see some examples of this and learn just how easy it is!
7. How to Compose Functions
Function composition is the process of putting two or more functions together. This video lesson will explain how this process works and also show you how to evaluate functions that have been composed.
8. Domain & Range of Composite Functions: Definition & Examples
Learn what makes a function a composite function and also learn how the parts of a composite function determine its domain. Also in this video lesson, learn about the range of composite functions.
9. Compounding Functions and Graphing Functions of Functions
We know that functions map numbers to other numbers, so what happens when you have a function of a function? Welcome to functions within functions, the realm of composite functions!
10. Inverse Functions
Inverse functions are two functions that do exactly opposite things. Check out this lesson to learn about how to write inverse functions, find inverse functions, and predict whether or not they exist.
11. Understanding and Graphing the Inverse Function
If you use a function to map a to b, is there a way to go back from b to a again? Learn how to find and graph inverse functions so that you can turn a into b and back into a.
12. Recognizing Symmetry Graphically, Algebraically, and Numerically About the X-axis and Y-axis
When you fold a piece of paper exactly in half, you are creating symmetry. Symmetry is found in many areas of mathematics. In this lesson, learn to recognize symmetry graphically, algebraically, and numerically about the x- and y- axes.
13. Recognizing Symmetry Graphically, Algebraically & Numerically About the Origin
If you look at flowers and fruits, you'll see that many of these items in nature are symmetrical. In this lesson, learn about symmetry about the origin of a graph. When you are finished, test your knowledge with a short quiz!
14. Even & Odd Functions: Definition & Examples
Even and odd functions are an aspect of line symmetry. You can use knowledge of even and odd functions to quickly identify equation symmetry. After this lesson, test your knowledge with a short quiz!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AEPA Mathematics (NT304): Practice & Study Guide course
- AEPA Math: Properties of Real Numbers
- AEPA Math: Fractions
- AEPA Math: Decimals & Percents
- AEPA Math: Ratios & Proportions
- AEPA Math: Units of Measure & Conversions
- AEPA Math: Logic
- AEPA Math: Reasoning
- AEPA Math: Vector Operations
- AEPA Math: Matrix Operations & Determinants
- AEPA Math: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- AEPA Math: Algebraic Expressions
- AEPA Math: Linear Equations
- AEPA Math: Inequalities
- AEPA Math: Absolute Value
- AEPA Math: Quadratic Equations
- AEPA Math: Polynomials
- AEPA Math: Rational Expressions
- AEPA Math: Radical Expressions
- AEPA Math: Systems of Equations
- AEPA Math: Complex Numbers
- AEPA Math: Piecewise Functions
- AEPA Math: Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- AEPA Math: Continuity of Functions
- AEPA Math: Limits
- AEPA Math: Rate of Change
- AEPA Math: Derivative Rules
- AEPA Math: Graphing Derivatives
- AEPA Math: Applications of Derivatives
- AEPA Math: Area Under the Curve & Integrals
- AEPA Math: Integration Techniques
- AEPA Math: Applications of Integration
- AEPA Math: Foundations of Geometry
- AEPA Math: Geometric Figures
- AEPA Math: Properties of Triangles
- AEPA Math: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- AEPA Math: Parallel Lines & Polygons
- AEPA Math: Quadrilaterals
- AEPA Math: Circles & Arc of a Circle
- AEPA Math: Conic Sections
- AEPA Math: Geometric Solids
- AEPA Math: Analytical Geometry
- AEPA Math: Using Trigonometric Functions
- AEPA Math: Trigonometric Graphs
- AEPA Math: Solving Trigonometric Equations
- AEPA Math: Trigonometric Identities
- AEPA Math: Sequences & Series
- AEPA Math: Graph Theory
- AEPA Math: Set Theory
- AEPA Math: Statistics Overview
- AEPA Math: Summarizing Data
- AEPA Math: Tables, Plots & Graphs
- AEPA Math: Probability
- AEPA Math: Discrete Probability Distributions
- AEPA Math: Continuous Probability Distributions
- AEPA Math: Sampling
- AEPA Math: Regression & Correlation
- AEPA Mathematics Flashcards