About This Chapter
AEPA Math: Parallel Lines & Polygons - Chapter Summary
This chapter uses quick video lessons and multiple-choice assessments to help you study the parallel lines and polygons topics you're likely to encounter on the AEPA Math assessment. As you work through the chapter, you will review:
- How to prove that lines are parallel
- Transversal angles
- The parallel postulate and indirect proof
- Properties and measurements of polygons
If you need additional study, consult the video transcripts - they highlight key terms and ideas, making it easy to track down the concepts you need to review. Let our instructors know if you'd like any assistance.
1. Angles Formed by a Transversal
When you have a pair of parallel lines and a transversal, something very interesting happens to the angles that are formed. You can see this happen in real life at street intersections and such. Watch this video lesson to learn about all of this.
2. Parallel Lines: How to Prove Lines Are Parallel
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can prove that two lines are parallel just by matching up pairs of angles. Learn which angles to pair up and what to look for.
3. Using Converse Statements to Prove Lines Are Parallel
Because a pair of parallel lines produces unique angle characteristics, we can use this information to our advantage. Watch this video lesson to see how we turn this advantage into converse statements to help us prove parallel lines.
4. The Parallel Postulate: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn about an important postulate in Euclidean geometry, called the Parallel Postulate. It sounds kind of hard, but this lesson explains it in simple terms and provides several examples of it as well.
5. Regular Polygons: Definition & Parts
What makes a polygon a polygon? And what shapes are considered polygons? In this lesson, find out the answers to these questions and more as we learn all about polygons and their parts.
6. How to Find the Number of Diagonals in a Polygon
At first, you might think that the diagonals of a polygon are pretty useless, but watch this video lesson to learn how diagonals are used in real life. You will learn the formula to find how many diagonals a polygon has as well as how to use it.
7. Finding the Perimeter of Polygons
In this video lesson, you will learn the process you need to take to find the perimeter of polygons. You will also learn that there is a shortcut if your polygon is a regular polygon.
8. Measuring the Area of Regular Polygons: Formula & Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn why a regular polygon makes your life easier when it comes to finding the area inside one. Learn the one formula for area that will work for any type of regular polygon.
9. How to Measure the Angles of a Polygon & Find the Sum
Watch this video lesson to learn the one formula that lets you find the measure of angles in any regular polygon. Also, learn how you can tell if you are working with a regular polygon or not.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AEPA Mathematics (NT304): Practice & Study Guide course
- AEPA Math: Properties of Real Numbers
- AEPA Math: Fractions
- AEPA Math: Decimals & Percents
- AEPA Math: Ratios & Proportions
- AEPA Math: Units of Measure & Conversions
- AEPA Math: Logic
- AEPA Math: Reasoning
- AEPA Math: Vector Operations
- AEPA Math: Matrix Operations & Determinants
- AEPA Math: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- AEPA Math: Algebraic Expressions
- AEPA Math: Linear Equations
- AEPA Math: Inequalities
- AEPA Math: Absolute Value
- AEPA Math: Quadratic Equations
- AEPA Math: Polynomials
- AEPA Math: Rational Expressions
- AEPA Math: Radical Expressions
- AEPA Math: Systems of Equations
- AEPA Math: Complex Numbers
- AEPA Math: Functions
- AEPA Math: Piecewise Functions
- AEPA Math: Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- AEPA Math: Continuity of Functions
- AEPA Math: Limits
- AEPA Math: Rate of Change
- AEPA Math: Derivative Rules
- AEPA Math: Graphing Derivatives
- AEPA Math: Applications of Derivatives
- AEPA Math: Area Under the Curve & Integrals
- AEPA Math: Integration Techniques
- AEPA Math: Applications of Integration
- AEPA Math: Foundations of Geometry
- AEPA Math: Geometric Figures
- AEPA Math: Properties of Triangles
- AEPA Math: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- AEPA Math: Quadrilaterals
- AEPA Math: Circles & Arc of a Circle
- AEPA Math: Conic Sections
- AEPA Math: Geometric Solids
- AEPA Math: Analytical Geometry
- AEPA Math: Using Trigonometric Functions
- AEPA Math: Trigonometric Graphs
- AEPA Math: Solving Trigonometric Equations
- AEPA Math: Trigonometric Identities
- AEPA Math: Sequences & Series
- AEPA Math: Graph Theory
- AEPA Math: Set Theory
- AEPA Math: Statistics Overview
- AEPA Math: Summarizing Data
- AEPA Math: Tables, Plots & Graphs
- AEPA Math: Probability
- AEPA Math: Discrete Probability Distributions
- AEPA Math: Continuous Probability Distributions
- AEPA Math: Sampling
- AEPA Math: Regression & Correlation
- AEPA Mathematics Flashcards