About This Chapter
AEPA Math: Rate of Change - Chapter Summary
This chapter offers quick, entertaining video lessons to help you study important rate of change concepts as part of your AEPA Math exam preparation. As you work through the chapter, you will cover:
- Types of rate of change
- The mean value theorem
- Rolle's theorem
- Derivatives and the property of being differentiable
Take the short quiz after each lesson to practice using the information you've covered and evaluate your exam readiness. If you need help with any of the concepts, ask our instructors for assistance.
1. Slopes and Rate of Change
If you throw a ball straight up, there will be a point when it stops moving for an instant before coming back down. Consider this as we study the rate of change of human cannonballs in this lesson.
2. Average and Instantaneous Rates of Change
When you drive to the store, you're probably not going the same speed the entire time. Speed is an example of a rate of change. In this lesson, you'll learn about the difference between instantaneous and average rate of change and how to calculate both.
3. What is the Mean Value Theorem?
Three people set off on a car trip. They all start at the same time and end at the same time. Learn what calculus says about how fast they traveled along the way as you study the Mean Value Theorem in this lesson.
4. Rolle's Theorem: A Special Case of the Mean Value Theorem
Super C, the human cannonball, is shot into the air at 35 mph, but his average vertical velocity is zero. In this lesson, you will use Rolle's theorem to explain what this means about Super C's flight.
5. Derivatives: The Formal Definition
The derivative defines calculus. In this lesson, learn how the derivative is related to the instantaneous rate of change with Super C, the cannonball man.
6. Derivatives: Graphical Representations
Take a graphical look at the definitive element of calculus: the derivative. The slope of a function is the derivative, as you will see in this lesson.
7. What It Means To Be 'Differentiable'
Lots of jets can go from zero to 300 mph quickly, but super-jets can do this instantaneously. In this lesson, learn what that means for differentiability.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AEPA Mathematics (NT304): Practice & Study Guide course
- AEPA Math: Properties of Real Numbers
- AEPA Math: Fractions
- AEPA Math: Decimals & Percents
- AEPA Math: Ratios & Proportions
- AEPA Math: Units of Measure & Conversions
- AEPA Math: Logic
- AEPA Math: Reasoning
- AEPA Math: Vector Operations
- AEPA Math: Matrix Operations & Determinants
- AEPA Math: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- AEPA Math: Algebraic Expressions
- AEPA Math: Linear Equations
- AEPA Math: Inequalities
- AEPA Math: Absolute Value
- AEPA Math: Quadratic Equations
- AEPA Math: Polynomials
- AEPA Math: Rational Expressions
- AEPA Math: Radical Expressions
- AEPA Math: Systems of Equations
- AEPA Math: Complex Numbers
- AEPA Math: Functions
- AEPA Math: Piecewise Functions
- AEPA Math: Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- AEPA Math: Continuity of Functions
- AEPA Math: Limits
- AEPA Math: Derivative Rules
- AEPA Math: Graphing Derivatives
- AEPA Math: Applications of Derivatives
- AEPA Math: Area Under the Curve & Integrals
- AEPA Math: Integration Techniques
- AEPA Math: Applications of Integration
- AEPA Math: Foundations of Geometry
- AEPA Math: Geometric Figures
- AEPA Math: Properties of Triangles
- AEPA Math: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- AEPA Math: Parallel Lines & Polygons
- AEPA Math: Quadrilaterals
- AEPA Math: Circles & Arc of a Circle
- AEPA Math: Conic Sections
- AEPA Math: Geometric Solids
- AEPA Math: Analytical Geometry
- AEPA Math: Using Trigonometric Functions
- AEPA Math: Trigonometric Graphs
- AEPA Math: Solving Trigonometric Equations
- AEPA Math: Trigonometric Identities
- AEPA Math: Sequences & Series
- AEPA Math: Graph Theory
- AEPA Math: Set Theory
- AEPA Math: Statistics Overview
- AEPA Math: Summarizing Data
- AEPA Math: Tables, Plots & Graphs
- AEPA Math: Probability
- AEPA Math: Discrete Probability Distributions
- AEPA Math: Continuous Probability Distributions
- AEPA Math: Sampling
- AEPA Math: Regression & Correlation
- AEPA Mathematics Flashcards