About This Chapter
AEPA Math: Statistics Overview - Chapter Summary
Use the lessons in this chapter to help you review the essentials of statistics so you're ready for these types of questions on the AEPA Mathematics (NES Mathematics) test. The videos in this chapter have been put together by expert instructors to help you with questions you might encounter on the exam about:
- Populations and samples and how they differ
- Estimating a parameter using sample data
- Different types of data like quantitative, categorical, discrete and continuous
- Different types of measurements including nominal, ordinal, interval and ratio
- How experiments and observational studies differ
- Random selection and random allocation
- Definition and limitations of convenience sampling
Our expert instructors guide you through these topics, giving you tactics to apply when answering test questions on statistics. The lessons have been made to be short and engaging to keep you focused and make the most efficient use of your time.
1. Descriptive & Inferential Statistics: Definition, Differences & Examples
Descriptive and inferential statistics each give different insights into the nature of the data gathered. One alone cannot give the whole picture. Together, they provide a powerful tool for both description and prediction.
2. Difference between Populations & Samples in Statistics
Before you start collecting any information, it is important to understand the differences between population and samples. This lesson will show you how!
3. Defining the Difference between Parameters & Statistics
Using data to describe information can be tricky. The first step is knowing the difference between populations and samples, and then parameters and statistics.
4. Estimating a Parameter from Sample Data: Process & Examples
One of the most useful things we can do with data is use it to describe a population. Learn how in this lesson as we discuss the concepts of parameters and samples.
5. What is Quantitative Data? - Definition & Examples
Watch this video lesson to find out the difference between saying you have seven apples and saying that those apples are delicious. You will learn about quantitative data and why it is useful.
6. What is Categorical Data? - Definition & Examples
Categorical data is one of two types of data that you can collect when conducting research. This lesson will teach you how to understand and use categorical data.
7. Discrete & Continuous Data: Definition & Examples
You might be surprised to find that data is more than just a collection of numbers. Data is divided into several categories, including discrete and continuous data. Find out why!
8. Nominal, Ordinal, Interval & Ratio Measurements: Definition & Examples
Different types of data can be grouped and measured in different ways. In this lesson, you will learn about nominal, ordinal, interval, and ratio measurements.
9. The Purpose of Statistical Models
Understanding statistics requires that you understand statistical models. This lesson will help you understand the purpose of statistics, statistical models, and types of variables.
10. Experiments vs Observational Studies: Definition, Differences & Examples
There are different ways to collect data for research. In this lesson, you will learn about collecting data through observational studies and experiments and the differences between each.
11. Random Selection & Random Allocation: Differences, Benefits & Examples
Random selection and random allocation are often confused with one another. This lesson will help you remember the differences between them and learn how to use each method.
12. Convenience Sampling in Statistics: Definition & Limitations
Convenience sampling is one of the most common types of sampling in research. This is because of the benefits that convenience sample brings to the researcher. However, there are some limitations. You will learn about both in this lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AEPA Mathematics (NT304): Practice & Study Guide course
- AEPA Math: Properties of Real Numbers
- AEPA Math: Fractions
- AEPA Math: Decimals & Percents
- AEPA Math: Ratios & Proportions
- AEPA Math: Units of Measure & Conversions
- AEPA Math: Logic
- AEPA Math: Reasoning
- AEPA Math: Vector Operations
- AEPA Math: Matrix Operations & Determinants
- AEPA Math: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- AEPA Math: Algebraic Expressions
- AEPA Math: Linear Equations
- AEPA Math: Inequalities
- AEPA Math: Absolute Value
- AEPA Math: Quadratic Equations
- AEPA Math: Polynomials
- AEPA Math: Rational Expressions
- AEPA Math: Radical Expressions
- AEPA Math: Systems of Equations
- AEPA Math: Complex Numbers
- AEPA Math: Functions
- AEPA Math: Piecewise Functions
- AEPA Math: Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- AEPA Math: Continuity of Functions
- AEPA Math: Limits
- AEPA Math: Rate of Change
- AEPA Math: Derivative Rules
- AEPA Math: Graphing Derivatives
- AEPA Math: Applications of Derivatives
- AEPA Math: Area Under the Curve & Integrals
- AEPA Math: Integration Techniques
- AEPA Math: Applications of Integration
- AEPA Math: Foundations of Geometry
- AEPA Math: Geometric Figures
- AEPA Math: Properties of Triangles
- AEPA Math: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- AEPA Math: Parallel Lines & Polygons
- AEPA Math: Quadrilaterals
- AEPA Math: Circles & Arc of a Circle
- AEPA Math: Conic Sections
- AEPA Math: Geometric Solids
- AEPA Math: Analytical Geometry
- AEPA Math: Using Trigonometric Functions
- AEPA Math: Trigonometric Graphs
- AEPA Math: Solving Trigonometric Equations
- AEPA Math: Trigonometric Identities
- AEPA Math: Sequences & Series
- AEPA Math: Graph Theory
- AEPA Math: Set Theory
- AEPA Math: Summarizing Data
- AEPA Math: Tables, Plots & Graphs
- AEPA Math: Probability
- AEPA Math: Discrete Probability Distributions
- AEPA Math: Continuous Probability Distributions
- AEPA Math: Sampling
- AEPA Math: Regression & Correlation
- AEPA Mathematics Flashcards