About This Chapter
AEPA Math: Summarizing Data - Chapter Summary
Go over concepts such as dispersion and skewness by using this chapter's helpful graphs, text transcripts and fun video lessons. The chapter also goes over the process of finding the quartiles in a data set. The AEPA Math exam's other content dealing with how data is summarized is covered with these lessons:
- The center in a data set
- Calculating standard deviation and measuring dispersion
- Population and sample variance
- Calculating mean, median, mode and range
- Maximums, minimums and outliers
- Defining the interquartile range and finding percentiles
- Unimodal and bimodal distributions
- Spread in data sets
- Shape, symmetry and skewness
Animated and narrated, these lessons can be studied one at a time or reviewed all in one sitting, depending on your schedule. Using the video tags will get you to different parts of the video lessons in no time, and you can take the quizzes to measure your retention.
Objectives of the AEPA Math: Summarizing Data Chapter
Test items on the AEPA Math exam will be asking about the ways in which data can be summarized, and the self-assessment quizzes throughout this chapter will show you very similar questions for practice. The AEPA Math exam includes 150 multiple-choice questions overall. Test takers are allowed 4 hours and 15 minutes to answer all of the test items. Examinees will be given a formula sheet to look at while taking the test, and there is also a scientific calculator that will show up on the screen for this computer-based exam.
1. What is the Center in a Data Set? - Definition & Options
Finding the center in a data set can sometimes be a little confusing. This lesson will help you determine the correct method for finding the center in a data set, and when you are finished, test your knowledge with a short quiz!
2. Mean, Median & Mode: Measures of Central Tendency
By describing the data using central tendency, a researcher and reader can understand what the typical score looks like. In this lesson, we will explore in more detail these measures of central tendency and how they relate to samples and populations.
3. How to Calculate Mean, Median, Mode & Range
Measures of central tendency can provide valuable information about a set of data. In this lesson, explore how to calculate the mean, median, mode and range of any given data set.
4. Visual Representations of a Data Set: Shape, Symmetry & Skewness
Visual representations are a fantastic way of understanding and analyzing your data. Use this lesson to understand the characteristics of visual representations of data.
5. Measures of Dispersion and Skewness
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can describe your data using two different statistical characteristics. Learn what it means for your graph to have variability and what it means for your graph to be skewed.
6. Unimodal & Bimodal Distributions: Definition & Examples
Sometimes a single mode does not accurately describe a data set. In this lesson, learn the differences between and the uses of unimodal and bimodal distribution. When you are finished, test your knowledge with a quiz!
7. Spread in Data Sets: Definition & Example
Identifying the spread in data sets is a very important part of statistics. You can do this several ways, but the most common methods are through range, interquartile range, and variance.
8. Maximums, Minimums & Outliers in a Data Set
When analyzing data sets, the first thing to identify is the maximums, minimums, and outliers. This lesson will help you learn how to identify these important items.
9. Quartiles & the Interquartile Range: Definition, Formulate & Examples
Quartiles and the interquartile range can be used to group and analyze data sets. In this lesson, learn the definition and steps for finding the quartiles and interquartile range for a given data set.
10. Finding Percentiles in a Data Set: Formula & Examples
Percentiles are often used in academics to compare student scores. Finding percentiles in a data set can be a useful way to organize and compare numbers in a data set.
11. Calculating the Standard Deviation
In this lesson, we will examine the meaning and process of calculating the standard deviation of a data set. Standard deviation can help to determine if the data set is a normal distribution.
12. The Effect of Linear Transformations on Measures of Center & Spread
Linear transformations can be a great way to manipulate and analyze data. This lesson will show you how those transformations affect the center and spread of data.
13. Population & Sample Variance: Definition, Formula & Examples
Population and sample variance can help you describe and analyze data beyond the mean of the data set. In this lesson, learn the differences between population and sample variance.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AEPA Mathematics (NT304): Practice & Study Guide course
- AEPA Math: Properties of Real Numbers
- AEPA Math: Fractions
- AEPA Math: Decimals & Percents
- AEPA Math: Ratios & Proportions
- AEPA Math: Units of Measure & Conversions
- AEPA Math: Logic
- AEPA Math: Reasoning
- AEPA Math: Vector Operations
- AEPA Math: Matrix Operations & Determinants
- AEPA Math: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- AEPA Math: Algebraic Expressions
- AEPA Math: Linear Equations
- AEPA Math: Inequalities
- AEPA Math: Absolute Value
- AEPA Math: Quadratic Equations
- AEPA Math: Polynomials
- AEPA Math: Rational Expressions
- AEPA Math: Radical Expressions
- AEPA Math: Systems of Equations
- AEPA Math: Complex Numbers
- AEPA Math: Functions
- AEPA Math: Piecewise Functions
- AEPA Math: Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- AEPA Math: Continuity of Functions
- AEPA Math: Limits
- AEPA Math: Rate of Change
- AEPA Math: Derivative Rules
- AEPA Math: Graphing Derivatives
- AEPA Math: Applications of Derivatives
- AEPA Math: Area Under the Curve & Integrals
- AEPA Math: Integration Techniques
- AEPA Math: Applications of Integration
- AEPA Math: Foundations of Geometry
- AEPA Math: Geometric Figures
- AEPA Math: Properties of Triangles
- AEPA Math: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- AEPA Math: Parallel Lines & Polygons
- AEPA Math: Quadrilaterals
- AEPA Math: Circles & Arc of a Circle
- AEPA Math: Conic Sections
- AEPA Math: Geometric Solids
- AEPA Math: Analytical Geometry
- AEPA Math: Using Trigonometric Functions
- AEPA Math: Trigonometric Graphs
- AEPA Math: Solving Trigonometric Equations
- AEPA Math: Trigonometric Identities
- AEPA Math: Sequences & Series
- AEPA Math: Graph Theory
- AEPA Math: Set Theory
- AEPA Math: Statistics Overview
- AEPA Math: Tables, Plots & Graphs
- AEPA Math: Probability
- AEPA Math: Discrete Probability Distributions
- AEPA Math: Continuous Probability Distributions
- AEPA Math: Sampling
- AEPA Math: Regression & Correlation
- AEPA Mathematics Flashcards