About This Chapter
AEPA Math: Using Trigonometric Functions - Chapter Summary
Use these quick, accessible, engaging video lessons to study trigonometric functions as part of your AEPA Math assessment preparation. Chapter topics include:
- Basic trigonometry and the Pythagorean theorem
- Cotangent, secant and cosecant functions
- Trigonometric ratios and the unit circle
- Properties of right triangles and special right triangles
- Special angles and the double-angle formula
- Sine and cosine laws and applications
Take the short self-assessment after each lesson to assess your comfort-level with the material. Check out the video transcripts if you need additional review- they highlight key formulas and ideas. Let our instructors know if you need any help.
1. Trigonometry: Sine and Cosine
Learn an easy trick to help you solve trigonometry problems, including problems with sine, cosine and inverse trig functions. At the end of this lesson, you'll know what SohCahToa means and how to use it.
2. Trigonometry and the Pythagorean Theorem
Explore how the Pythagorean Theorem can be used in conjunction with trigonometric functions. In this lesson, take an inverse trigonometric function, and define all three sides of a right triangle.
3. Other Trigonometric Functions: Cotangent, Secant & Cosecant
After watching this video lesson, you will understand how the trigonometric functions cotangent, secant, and cosecant are related to the sine, cosine, and tangent functions.
4. Trigonometric Ratios and Similarity
Where do terms like sine, cosine and tangent come from? In this lesson, we'll learn about how similarity with right triangles leads to trigonometric ratios.
5. Unit Circle: Memorizing the First Quadrant
Memorizing the unit circle can be a daunting task, but this lesson will show you a pattern to help you memorize the points, degree measures, and radian measures for the entire first quadrant.
6. Using Unit Circles to Relate Right Triangles to Sine & Cosine
The unit circle is a helpful tool for understanding trigonometric concepts. In this lesson, we'll look at right triangles on the unit circle to better grasp sine and cosine.
7. Special Right Triangles: Types and Properties
Not all right triangles are the same. In this lesson, we'll look at two special right triangles (30-60-90 and 45-45-90) that have unique properties to help you quickly and easily solve certain triangle problems.
8. Trigonometric Function Values of Special Angles
After watching this video lesson, you will better understand the six trigonometric functions. You will also know what special angles there are and what the trigonometric values for these special angles are.
9. Law of Sines: Definition and Application
Don't get stuck trying to find missing sides or angles in a triangle. Use the Law of Sines to rescue you from any perilous triangle in which you have just a few pieces of information.
10. Law of Cosines: Definition and Application
In this lesson, we'll learn how to solve problems involving three sides and one angle in a triangle. The Law of Cosines, a modification of the Pythagorean Theorem, will save the day.
11. The Double Angle Formula
When you encounter a doubled angle, there are special formulas that can help you handle trigonometric value. In this lesson, we'll define and practice using the double angle formulas for sine, cosine and tangent.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AEPA Mathematics (NT304): Practice & Study Guide course
- AEPA Math: Properties of Real Numbers
- AEPA Math: Fractions
- AEPA Math: Decimals & Percents
- AEPA Math: Ratios & Proportions
- AEPA Math: Units of Measure & Conversions
- AEPA Math: Logic
- AEPA Math: Reasoning
- AEPA Math: Vector Operations
- AEPA Math: Matrix Operations & Determinants
- AEPA Math: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- AEPA Math: Algebraic Expressions
- AEPA Math: Linear Equations
- AEPA Math: Inequalities
- AEPA Math: Absolute Value
- AEPA Math: Quadratic Equations
- AEPA Math: Polynomials
- AEPA Math: Rational Expressions
- AEPA Math: Radical Expressions
- AEPA Math: Systems of Equations
- AEPA Math: Complex Numbers
- AEPA Math: Functions
- AEPA Math: Piecewise Functions
- AEPA Math: Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- AEPA Math: Continuity of Functions
- AEPA Math: Limits
- AEPA Math: Rate of Change
- AEPA Math: Derivative Rules
- AEPA Math: Graphing Derivatives
- AEPA Math: Applications of Derivatives
- AEPA Math: Area Under the Curve & Integrals
- AEPA Math: Integration Techniques
- AEPA Math: Applications of Integration
- AEPA Math: Foundations of Geometry
- AEPA Math: Geometric Figures
- AEPA Math: Properties of Triangles
- AEPA Math: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- AEPA Math: Parallel Lines & Polygons
- AEPA Math: Quadrilaterals
- AEPA Math: Circles & Arc of a Circle
- AEPA Math: Conic Sections
- AEPA Math: Geometric Solids
- AEPA Math: Analytical Geometry
- AEPA Math: Trigonometric Graphs
- AEPA Math: Solving Trigonometric Equations
- AEPA Math: Trigonometric Identities
- AEPA Math: Sequences & Series
- AEPA Math: Graph Theory
- AEPA Math: Set Theory
- AEPA Math: Statistics Overview
- AEPA Math: Summarizing Data
- AEPA Math: Tables, Plots & Graphs
- AEPA Math: Probability
- AEPA Math: Discrete Probability Distributions
- AEPA Math: Continuous Probability Distributions
- AEPA Math: Sampling
- AEPA Math: Regression & Correlation
- AEPA Mathematics Flashcards