About This Chapter
AEPA Physical Education: The Skeletal System - Chapter Summary
Review the details behind our skeletal system through entertaining video lessons. Study the characteristics of connective tissue layers, muscle fibers and myofibrils. You can also use these lessons to prepare for AEPA Physical Education exam questions on:
- Functions of the axial and appendicular skeleton divisons
- The three types of muscle fibers and their functions
- Groups of skeletal muscles
- Physiological processes of the skeletal system
Study at the time, place and pace that's most convenient for you. Each video also includes a timeline feature that can be advanced to anywhere you would like with the click of a button, and corresponding text lessons are available if you prefer to read the lessons or to print them out and study offline.
1. The Skeletal System: Function and Terms
You'll learn about the two major divisions of our skeleton, the axial and appendicular skeleton, in this video lesson. In addition, you will find out how bone is formed, thanks to tiny little cells called osteoblasts and osteoclasts, and what the major parts of a long bone are.
2. Skeletal Muscle Fibers: Types and Functions
Did you know most human muscles contain a mixture of fast, slow and intermediate fibers? This lesson describes the structure and function of the three muscle fiber types found in humans.
3. Skeletal Muscle Organization: Connective Tissue and Layers
Did you know that skeletal muscles are organized into tightly packed groups? This lesson identifies the connective tissue layers that organize skeletal muscle into fascicles, muscle fibers and myofibrils. Additionally, the microscopic structure of the sarcomere is described.
4. Actions & Processes of the Skeletal System
Although you may think of your skeleton as just a scaffold for your body, today you'll be learning about many other important functions of the skeleton. From creating muscle movement to developing your immune system and cells in the cardiovascular system, the skeleton is far more than just a sturdy frame.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AEPA Physical Education (NT506): Practice & Study Guide course
- AEPA Phys Ed: Growth & Development
- AEPA Phys Ed: Wellness & Activity
- AEPA Phys Ed: The Muscular System
- AEPA Phys Ed: The Circulatory System
- AEPA Phys Ed: The Respiratory System
- AEPA Phys Ed: The Nervous System
- AEPA Phys Ed: The Digestive System
- AEPA Phys Ed: Physical Activity & the Body
- AEPA Phys Ed: Motor Development & Learning
- AEPA Phys Ed: Movement Concepts & Biomechanics
- AEPA Phys Ed: Sports & Recreational Activities
- AEPA Phys Ed: Exercise & Body Composition
- AEPA Phys Ed: Weight Management
- AEPA Phys Ed: Responsible Personal & Social Behaviors
- AEPA Phys Ed: Supporting Student Development
- AEPA Phys Ed: Organizing & Evaluating Phys Ed Programs
- AEPA Phys Ed: Maintaining a Safe Environment
- AEPA Physical Education Flashcards