About This Chapter
AEPA Reading Endorsement 61-12: Skills for Improving Reading - Chapter Summary
Since reading is incorporated into almost every facet of learning, having the tools to help your students improve their reading abilities is crucial for an educator. Prepare for the AEPA Reading Endorsement 6-12 exam by studying the information reviewed in the video lessons and quizzes outlined in this chapter. Examine topics such as:
- Teaching strategies for note-taking and outlining
- Methods of paraphrasing, summarizing and quoting research
- Explanation of metacognitive strategies
- Developing independent learning strategies
Teaching your students the fundamental skills of reading and how to improve their comprehension can greatly aid in their future educational success. Thus, it is important that you are knowledgeable about the various strategies that improve reading skills so you are equipped with the tools to encourage them in this journey. Utilize these video lessons and practice your skills with the lesson quizzes and chapter exam to be exam and classroom-ready.
AEPA Reading Endorsement 6-12: Skills for Improving Reading Chapter Objectives
The Arizona Educator Proficiency Assessments (AEPA) Reading Endorsement 6-12 exam is geared towards educators seeking their certification to teach this content area in grades 6-12. This exam measures an examinee's understanding of reading objectives and ability to meet state teaching standards. It is a computer-based exam with 100 selected-response questions and one additional written performance assessment. There are five subareas tested in the exam, one of which is Essential Elements of 6-12 Literacy Instruction and Intervention, which is where the subject presented in this chapter falls. This subarea accounts for 40% of the exam questions.
Upon thoroughly reviewing the information explored in this study guide chapter, you will have the tools needed to successfully understand and pass this portion of the exam. These video lessons, quizzes and chapter exam will help you become familiar with the types of questions you'll encounter on the exam. If further understanding is needed for any of the topics presented, instructors are available to provide assistance.
1. Instructional Strategies for Summarizing & Note-Taking
Note-taking and summarizing is an important skill for students. This lesson will highlight techniques for each and show how teachers can effectively instruct students on the use of these skills.
2. Quoting, Paraphrasing and Summarizing Your Research
Quoting, paraphrasing and summarizing are three important skills to master for writing in the academic and business world. These skills will help support claims and add credibility to your work.
3. Metacognitive Strategies: Definition & Examples
This lesson will define and explain in detail what metacognitive strategies are and how they can be used in the classroom to help deepen students' thinking about content and develop students who are ready and willing to tackle new content.
4. Independent Learning Strategies
Learn about strategies teachers can use to help their students build independent learning skills. Included are the foundations of a good independent learning lesson and some examples of activities teachers can easily implement.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AEPA Reading Endorsement 6-12 (AZ047): Practice & Study Guide course
- AEPA Reading Endorsement 6-12: Linguistic Foundations
- AEPA Reading Endorsement 6-12: Neurological Foundations
- AEPA Reading Endorsement 6-12: Cognitive Foundations
- AEPA Reading Endorsement 6-12: Sociocultural Influences
- AEPA Reading Endorsement 6-12: Theoretical Models
- AEPA Reading Endorsement 6-12: Assessments
- AEPA Reading Endorsement 6-12: Data-Driven Instruction
- AEPA Reading Endorsement 6-12: Literacy Instruction
- AEPA Reading Endorsement 6-12: Age-Appropriate Instruction
- AEPA Reading Endorsement 6-12: Leadership in Literacy
- AEPA Reading Endorsement 6-12: Partnerships
- AEPA Reading Endorsement 6-12: Literacy Intervention
- AEPA Reading Endorsement 6-12: Spelling & Prewriting
- AEPA Reading Endorsement 6-12: Types of Writing
- AEPA Reading Endorsement 6-12: Vocabulary Development
- AEPA Reading Endorsement 6-12: Fluency Development
- AEPA Reading Endorsement 6-12: Strategies for Comprehension
- AEPA Reading Endorsement 6-12: Explicit Instruction
- AEPA Reading Endorsement 6-12: Content Area Texts
- AEPA Reading Endorsement 6-12: Critical Thinking for Reading
- AEPA Reading Endorsement 6-12: Content Concepts
- AEPA Reading Endorsement 6-12 Flashcards