About This Chapter
AEPA Reading Endorsement 6-12: Spelling & Prewriting - Chapter Summary
Explore the characteristics of phonemes and learn about correct spelling in written work by using the lessons in this chapter. Once you are finished, you will be able to answer questions on the AEPA Reading Endorsement 6-12 test relating to:
- The teaching of sight words that are grade-level appropriate
- The relationship between reading and writing
- Effective prewriting techniques
- Essay structure
- Thesis development steps
- The process of outline building and essay organization
Master the fundamentals of prewriting by watching the videos in this chapter. They make studying fun and are not that long. There are also self-assessment quizzes available, which help you see what topics you are knowledgeable about and what topics you still need to review. Keep track of your progress throughout this chapter with the help of the dashboard feature.
1. Correct Spelling in Written Work: Strategies & Tips
In this lesson, we will discuss why it is important to have correct spelling in your writing. We will then discuss some tips to be sure you are using correct spelling.
2. Phoneme: Definition, Segmentation & Examples
Phonemes are tiny units of sound in speech. When phonemes are combined, they can make up words. In this lesson, we will discuss what phonemes are, how to segment them in words and why they are important.
3. How to Teach Grade Level Appropriate Sight Words
Find out how to create lists of sight words that are relevant to the level of your students. Learn strategies for teaching sight words and then check your knowledge of this topic with a quiz.
4. How Writing Can Improve Reading Skills
Reading and writing are two of the infamous 'Three R's', so naturally we think of them as going hand-in-hand. But can specific writing instruction actually help reading? Turns out, yes. This lesson describes the connection between reading and writing and outlines strategies for using writing skills to boost reading.
5. Effective Prewriting: Instructions and Examples
You should learn prewriting techniques, such as brainstorming, mapping, and freewriting, to produce well-planned, focused essays. This lesson explains the basics for how to conduct effective prewriting.
6. Basic Essay Structure: The Five-Paragraph Essay
Working with an established essay structure provides writers with the necessary elements of a successful essay. In this lesson, we'll work through the drafting process for the five-paragraph essay and make note of important dos and don'ts.
7. Thesis Development: Steps and Instructions
One of the most important components of a successful academic essay is a strong thesis statement. Learn how to construct an effective thesis statement for a persuasive essay by watching this lesson.
8. Essay Organization and Outline Building
Creating an outline before writing an academic essay doesn't take that long to do and can greatly improve the quality of your essay. This lesson covers the basics of how to put together an effective outline that will cover all of the right points.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AEPA Reading Endorsement 6-12 (AZ047): Practice & Study Guide course
- AEPA Reading Endorsement 6-12: Linguistic Foundations
- AEPA Reading Endorsement 6-12: Neurological Foundations
- AEPA Reading Endorsement 6-12: Cognitive Foundations
- AEPA Reading Endorsement 6-12: Sociocultural Influences
- AEPA Reading Endorsement 6-12: Theoretical Models
- AEPA Reading Endorsement 6-12: Assessments
- AEPA Reading Endorsement 6-12: Data-Driven Instruction
- AEPA Reading Endorsement 6-12: Literacy Instruction
- AEPA Reading Endorsement 6-12: Age-Appropriate Instruction
- AEPA Reading Endorsement 6-12: Leadership in Literacy
- AEPA Reading Endorsement 6-12: Partnerships
- AEPA Reading Endorsement 6-12: Literacy Intervention
- AEPA Reading Endorsement 6-12: Types of Writing
- AEPA Reading Endorsement 6-12: Vocabulary Development
- AEPA Reading Endorsement 6-12: Fluency Development
- AEPA Reading Endorsement 6-12: Strategies for Comprehension
- AEPA Reading Endorsement 6-12: Explicit Instruction
- AEPA Reading Endorsement 6-12: Content Area Texts
- AEPA Reading Endorsement 6-12: Critical Thinking for Reading
- AEPA Reading Endorsement 6-12: Content Concepts
- AEPA Reading Endorsement 6-12: Skills for Improving Reading
- AEPA Reading Endorsement 6-12 Flashcards