About This Chapter
AEPA Reading Endorsement 6-12: Vocabulary Development - Chapter Summary
Use the lessons in this chapter to examine spelling and word patterns as well as the etymology of words. After finishing all of the lessons, answering questions on the AEPA Reading Endorsement 6-12 exam relating to these additional topics will be easy:
- Research related to the teaching of vocabulary words
- Finding the meaning of words using roots and affixes
- Vocabulary instruction
- The introduction of new vocabulary words
- Strategies for developing and teaching vocabulary
- Greek and Latin root words that enhance understanding
- Semantic noise and ambiguous words
- The use of structural analysis
The videos in this chapter make the process of learning about vocabulary development fun. Watch a lesson and then take a quiz to see what information you remember. After completing all of the quizzes, you will know if you are ready for the actual exam or not. If you need assistance with a lesson, just get help from one of our online instructors.
1. Research-Based Guidelines for Teaching Vocabulary
In this lesson, you'll learn some best practices for teaching vocabulary words to students. We'll work to understand the insights of researchers who have spent decades discovering what works best.
2. Spelling & Word Patterns: Prefixes, Suffixes & Root Words
How do we form words in our language? What gives them definitions? Watch this video lesson to discover how word parts like prefixes, suffixes and root words make up words and affect their meanings.
3. Using Affixes and Roots to Find the Meaning of Words
In this lesson, we will learn how to understand the meaning of words by breaking them down into the parts that form them. This requires knowledge of the Greek and Latin roots, and affixes, which are parts we add to roots to make new words.
4. The Etymology of Words
Words are at the center of almost all forms of communication in our society. Watch this video lesson to learn about word etymology and how it affects our world.
5. Selecting Words for Vocabulary Instruction
When students understand and are fluent with vocabulary they have a better understanding of what they read. How can teachers focus their instruction? This lesson will show how to create vocabulary lists to enhance subject knowledge.
6. How to Teach New Vocabulary
This lesson describes how to introduce a new vocabulary word and several sample activities for reinforcing the meanings of the terms. A short quiz follows the lesson.
7. How to Teach Vocabulary Words
Without a rich vocabulary, students have little foundation to understand what they are reading. This lesson highlights vocabulary strategies that can be used to develop student vocabulary skills in elementary, middle and high school.
8. Strategies for Teaching Vocabulary
Vocabulary instruction is an essential component in language development. Using a variety of teaching strategies, including vocabulary journals, foldables, word walls, and games, helps teachers increase student engagement and vocabulary retention.
9. Teaching Greek & Latin Roots to Enhance Vocabulary
Latin and Greek roots run rampant in the English Language. This lesson discusses how to use roots and other word parts to give your students the ability to unlock the meaning of unknown words.
10. How to Determine the Meaning of Ambiguous Words
In this lesson we'll learn a few tricks you can use when you encounter ambiguous words while studying or taking tests. Studying can be a tedious process, especially when memorizing lots of new information. Taking tests can be challenging too. Why not learn a few shortcuts for studying and test taking that can save you a lot of time and effort in the long run? These strategies will help you get on the fast track to success.
11. Semantic Noise in Communication: Definition & Examples
Semantic noise can be a serious roadblock to effective communication. In this lesson, you'll learn about semantic noise and be provided examples. A short quiz follows the lesson to help you reinforce your knowledge.
12. Using Structural Analysis to Determine the Meaning of Words
Discover the importance of using structural analysis to understand unfamiliar words. In this lesson, we'll discuss how to divide unknown words into known pieces to comprehend their overall meanings.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AEPA Reading Endorsement 6-12 (AZ047): Practice & Study Guide course
- AEPA Reading Endorsement 6-12: Linguistic Foundations
- AEPA Reading Endorsement 6-12: Neurological Foundations
- AEPA Reading Endorsement 6-12: Cognitive Foundations
- AEPA Reading Endorsement 6-12: Sociocultural Influences
- AEPA Reading Endorsement 6-12: Theoretical Models
- AEPA Reading Endorsement 6-12: Assessments
- AEPA Reading Endorsement 6-12: Data-Driven Instruction
- AEPA Reading Endorsement 6-12: Literacy Instruction
- AEPA Reading Endorsement 6-12: Age-Appropriate Instruction
- AEPA Reading Endorsement 6-12: Leadership in Literacy
- AEPA Reading Endorsement 6-12: Partnerships
- AEPA Reading Endorsement 6-12: Literacy Intervention
- AEPA Reading Endorsement 6-12: Spelling & Prewriting
- AEPA Reading Endorsement 6-12: Types of Writing
- AEPA Reading Endorsement 6-12: Fluency Development
- AEPA Reading Endorsement 6-12: Strategies for Comprehension
- AEPA Reading Endorsement 6-12: Explicit Instruction
- AEPA Reading Endorsement 6-12: Content Area Texts
- AEPA Reading Endorsement 6-12: Critical Thinking for Reading
- AEPA Reading Endorsement 6-12: Content Concepts
- AEPA Reading Endorsement 6-12: Skills for Improving Reading
- AEPA Reading Endorsement 6-12 Flashcards