About This Chapter
AEPA Reading K-8: Appropriate Literacy Intervention - Chapter Summary
Use these lessons and quizzes to review strategies for literacy intervention. These study resources can help you prepare for questions on the AEPA Reading Endorsement K-8 exam. By the end of the chapter, you'll have covered the following topics:
- Alphabetic basis of the English language
- Plans and strategies for student intervention
- Assessing phonemic awareness
- Associating sounds and symbols
- Basic phonics and decoding skills
- Strategies for improving reading comprehension and reading habits
- Prefixes and suffixes
- Activities for improving student reading development
This chapter uses a combination of video and text lessons to get you up to speed on literacy intervention. Review the lessons, and then take the practice quizzes to see what you know and what you still need to cover. If you have any questions, our expert instructors are available to help.
AEPA Reading K-8: Appropriate Literacy Intervention Chapter Objectives
The AEPA Reading K-8 exam is part of the requirements for a lower-grade reading endorsement in the state of Arizona. Expect to answer 100 selected-answer questions and complete one written assignment.
This chapter corresponds with instruction and intervention in phonics and word identification objectives, which are part of the Essential Elements of K-8 Literacy Instruction and Intervention subarea of the exam. This subarea accounts for 40% of the total test. You could be asked about the alphabetic principle, sequencing phonics instruction, instruction strategies for sight words and morphemes, syllabication patterns, word roots, prefixes, suffixes and compound words. You may also be asked about writing activities that support student literacy development.
1. English as an Alphabetic Language
Children learn to read by relying on the alphabetic principle. This lesson focuses on defining this principle, and explains why it's important for students to fully understand it when learning to read and write.
2. Student Intervention Plan and Strategies
This lesson will highlight various academic and behavioral intervention plans that you can use for students who are in need of academic or behavior support in the classroom. A short quiz will follow to test your knowledge.
3. Phonemic & Phonological Awareness: Definitions & Activities
Phonics, phonemic awareness, and phonological awareness may all sound really similar, but they are all different yet important skills required for successful reading. Watch this lesson to find out about each one and how to develop them.
4. Assessment Techniques for Phonemic Awareness
In this lesson, we will learn about some assessment tools for monitoring the development of phonemic awareness in Kindergarten through the second grade.
5. Sound-Symbol Association & Literacy Development
In this lesson, you'll find out why symbols and their sounds are important to new readers. You'll also put yourself in the shoes of a new reader and consider some of the challenges you faced when you first learned to read and write.
6. Basic Phonics & Decoding Skills for Literacy
Learning to read and write requires a solid foundation of phonics and decoding skills. This lesson will define phonics and show how basic skills can help struggling readers.
7. Strategies for Reading Comprehension
Have you been assigned to read something and you just couldn't understand what the author is trying to tell you? In this lesson, you will learn five strategies to help yourself understand what you are reading.
8. Strategies for Developing Students' Learning & Reading Habits
Ever finished reading and couldn't remember what you had just read? Many students experience this, too. Watch this video lesson to learn strategies to help your students develop healthy reading habits.
9. What Are Suffixes? - Examples & Definition
A suffix is an important part of language found at the end of many words. Suffixes can be the key to figuring out the meaning of a complex word. Let's take a look at suffixes and how they can work to determine a word's meaning or even part of speech.
10. Prefixes: Definition & Examples
Learn how the meanings of simple words can be changed with the addition of a prefix. Using this knowledge, you will gain the skill of quickly unlocking the meanings of more complex words.
11. Activities & Strategies for Student Reading Development
Helping students develop their reading skills can create learners who love to read. This lesson offers some ideas that help young readers develop their reading abilities.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AEPA Reading Endorsement K-8 (AZ046): Practice & Study Guide course
- AEPA Reading K-8: Language Development
- AEPA Reading K-8: Teaching Students with Special Needs
- AEPA Reading K-8: Cognitive Foundations of Literacy
- AEPA Reading K-8: Sociocultural Influences on Literacy
- AEPA Reading K-8: Theoretical Models of Reading
- AEPA Reading K-8: Assessment Methods
- AEPA Reading K-8: Purpose of Assessments
- AEPA Reading K-8: Using Data to Drive Instruction
- AEPA Reading K-8: Phonemic Development
- AEPA Reading K-8: Effective Literacy Instruction
- AEPA Reading K-8: Teaching Vocabulary & Literacy
- AEPA Reading K-8: Improving Fluency
- AEPA Reading K-8: Leadership in Reading & Literacy
- AEPA Reading K-8: Phonemic & Spelling Awareness
- AEPA Reading K-8: Effective Writing
- AEPA Reading K-8: Comprehension of Content Area Texts
- AEPA Reading K-8: Reading, Writing & Critical Thinking
- AEPA Reading K-8: Types of Texts
- AEPA Reading Endorsement K-8 Flashcards