About This Chapter
AEPA Reading K-8: Improving Fluency - Chapter Summary
Use these chapter resources to brush up on methods for improving student reading fluency. These lessons will help you prepare for fluency questions on the AEPA Reading K-8 exam. By the end of the chapter, you'll have covered the following topics:
- Methods for improving reading fluency
- Instructing students in radio reading
- Peer groups
- Literacy learning with peer-assisted strategies
- Jigsaw activities
These lessons will give you concrete teaching strategies for fluency in short, easily understandable lessons. Access the lessons as many times as you need. Keep an eye on your progress through the chapter with the personal dashboard feature, which tracks how far you've come and what you still need to cover.
AEPA Reading K-8: Improving Fluency Objectives
Arizona educators who wish to teach elementary or middle grade English will need to pass the AEPA Reading K-8 exam. The exam lasts three hours and 30 minutes and consists of 100 constructed-response questions and one written assignment.
This chapter is designed to prepare you for questions on instruction and intervention in fluency in the Essential Elements of K-8 Literacy Instruction and Intervention subarea of the exam. This subsection as a whole accounts for about 40% of the total test. You'll be tested on key indicators of reading fluency, common factors that disrupt fluency, strategies for providing fluency instruction and intervention strategies that address student needs in fluency improvement.
1. Strategies for Improving Students' Reading Fluency
Learning to read includes more than just decoding words. Students need to build fluency to be solid readers. How can teachers help? This lesson outlines several strategies to help students improve fluency in reading.
2. Radio Reading: Definition & Instruction
In this lesson, you'll learn how radio reading works and how a teacher might use this strategy in the classroom. Find out the benefits of this approach for students doing the radio reading assignment and for their classmates.
3. Peer Group: Definition & Concept
A peer group is a social group that consists of individuals of the same social status who share similar interests and are close in age. Learn about peer groups, how they influence socialization during childhood and adolescence, and more.
4. Peer-Assisted Strategies for Learning Literacy
In this lesson, you'll gain an understanding of the techniques known as peer-assisted learning strategies for literacy learning. We'll look at definitions, examples, and benefits of this approach.
5. Jigsaw Activities: Examples & Classroom Applications
Learn about jigsaw activities, and how they're used in the classroom. Find out how to apply jigsaw activities to your lessons. Review the lesson then take a quiz to test your knowledge.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AEPA Reading Endorsement K-8 (AZ046): Practice & Study Guide course
- AEPA Reading K-8: Language Development
- AEPA Reading K-8: Cognitive Foundations of Literacy
- AEPA Reading K-8: Theoretical Models of Reading
- AEPA Reading K-8: Teaching Students with Special Needs
- AEPA Reading K-8: Sociocultural Influences on Literacy
- AEPA Reading K-8: Assessments Overview
- AEPA Reading K-8: Purpose of Assessments
- AEPA Reading K-8: Assessment Methods
- AEPA Reading K-8: Using Data to Drive Instruction
- AEPA Reading K-8: Phonemic Development
- AEPA Reading K-8: Appropriate Literacy Intervention
- AEPA Reading K-8: Effective Literacy Instruction
- AEPA Reading K-8: Teaching Vocabulary & Literacy
- AEPA Reading K-8: Leadership in Reading & Literacy
- AEPA Reading K-8: Phonemic & Spelling Awareness
- AEPA Reading K-8: Effective Writing
- AEPA Reading K-8: Comprehension of Content Area Texts
- AEPA Reading K-8: Reading, Writing & Critical Thinking
- AEPA Reading K-8: Content-Area Texts
- AEPA Reading K-8: Types of Texts
- AEPA Reading Endorsement K-8 Flashcards