About This Chapter
AEPA Reading K-8: Sociocultural Influences on Literacy - Chapter Summary
Use these lessons and quizzes to review how sociocultural factors can influence literacy development in students. These study tools are designed to help you answer these types of questions on the AEPA Reading Endorsement K-8 exam. Lesson topics in this chapter include the following:
- Techniques to foster student motivation
- Types of student motivators
- Nativist perspective of language development
- Bilingual, multicultural and immersion education
- Effects of culture and environment on language development
Get up to speed quickly and easily with these lessons. Concepts are broken down into small chunks of information so the topics are easy to understand. Use the lesson quizzes to figure out what you know and what you still need to work on.
AEPA Reading K-8: Sociocultural Influences on Literacy Objectives
The AEPA Reading K-8 exam is part of the certification process for some Arizona teachers. The exam consists of 100 selected-answer questions and one written response. Questions are delivered via computer at a designated testing site. You'll have three and a half hours to complete the exam.
The lessons in this chapter will help you answer questions about the sociocultural foundations of literacy in the Theoretical and Research Foundations subarea of the exam. This exam section makes up about 13% of the total test. You'll be asked how environmental socioeconomic and cultural factors can affect literacy and language development.
1. Motivational Tools for Students: Techniques & Examples
In this lesson, we will explore the importance of student motivation and ways that teachers can motivate their students through tools like rewards, praise, and encouraging independence.
2. Motivators for Students: Examples & Types
Learn about motivators for students and the different types. Find out how to inspire motivation in students. Read the lesson, then take a quiz to test your new knowledge.
3. Intrinsic Motivators: Examples & Overview
What are intrinsic motivators and why are they important? This lesson takes you through the definition, the significance, and some examples of intrinsic motivators.
4. The Nativist Perspective and Language Development
In this lesson, learn how we develop language according to the nativist perspective. Discover Noam Chomsky's idea of the language acquisition device (LAD) and its role in this process.
5. Bilingual Education, Immersion & Multicultural Education
Educators use many approaches for second-language instruction. The approaches vary based on the individual needs of the learner, focusing on his or her current language abilities, background, and cultural experiences. This lesson will differentiate between the different types of second-language instruction, including immersion, bilingual education, and multicultural education.
6. The Effects of Environment and Culture on Language Development
Both environmental and cultural factors have an impact on early language development. This lesson will provide examples to consider and discuss possible reasons for this impact.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AEPA Reading Endorsement K-8 (AZ046): Practice & Study Guide course
- AEPA Reading K-8: Language Development
- AEPA Reading K-8: Teaching Students with Special Needs
- AEPA Reading K-8: Cognitive Foundations of Literacy
- AEPA Reading K-8: Theoretical Models of Reading
- AEPA Reading K-8: Assessment Methods
- AEPA Reading K-8: Purpose of Assessments
- AEPA Reading K-8: Using Data to Drive Instruction
- AEPA Reading K-8: Phonemic Development
- AEPA Reading K-8: Appropriate Literacy Intervention
- AEPA Reading K-8: Effective Literacy Instruction
- AEPA Reading K-8: Teaching Vocabulary & Literacy
- AEPA Reading K-8: Improving Fluency
- AEPA Reading K-8: Leadership in Reading & Literacy
- AEPA Reading K-8: Phonemic & Spelling Awareness
- AEPA Reading K-8: Effective Writing
- AEPA Reading K-8: Comprehension of Content Area Texts
- AEPA Reading K-8: Reading, Writing & Critical Thinking
- AEPA Reading K-8: Types of Texts
- AEPA Reading Endorsement K-8 Flashcards