About This Chapter
AEPA Reading K-8: Teaching Students with Special Needs - Chapter Summary
These lessons and quizzes are a fast and easy way to review topics related to teaching students with special needs for the AEPA Reading Endorsement K-8 exam. You'll cover a variety of learning challenges that you may encounter in the classroom and review strategies for teaching special needs students. By the end of the chapter, you'll have reviewed the following:
- Symptoms and treatment of dyslexia
- Types and characteristics of learning disabilities
- Identifying learning disabilities
- Adapting instruction for students with sensory challenges
- Educating special needs students
Each of these lessons gives you the essential information you need to know in ten minutes or less. Work through the lessons at your own pace, taking as much or as little time as you need to master the lesson concepts. Test your knowledge with the assessment quizzes before or after working through the lessons. And take the exam at the end of the chapter to review your retention of the entire chapter.
AEPA Reading K-8: Teaching Students with Special Needs Objectives
Some Arizona educators will need to take the AEPA Reading K-8 exam as part of the endorsement process for their licensure.The exam consists of 100 selected-answer questions and one written response. You'll have three and a half hours to complete the test questions, which are delivered electronically.
This chapter corresponds with the Theoretical and Research Foundations subarea of the exam, which is about 13% of the total test. These chapter resources will help you with questions about the results of scientific studies on good and struggling readers, including readers with learning disabilities such as dyslexia, and more.
1. What Is Dyslexia in Children? - Symptoms, Definition & Treatment
Dyslexia is a learning disorder that affects between five and 17 percent of children in the United States. Learn about dyslexia, its symptoms, how it is treated, and more.
2. What Is a Learning Disability in Children? - Definition, Types & Characteristics
In this lesson, you'll learn to define learning disabilities in general, as well as learn about specific characteristics of the various types of learning disabilities. Following completion of this lesson, you'll have the opportunity to test your knowledge with a short quiz.
3. Learning Disabilities: How to Identify Children with a Learning Disability
Identifying children with a learning disability can be tricky because it can be confused with a lack of interest in a school subject. In this lesson, we will look at how learning disabilities can be identified and the three most common learning disabilities: dyscalculia, dysgraphia and dyslexia.
4. Adapting Instruction for Learners With Sensory Challenges
In this lesson, we will discuss the general characteristics of children with sensory dysfunction and how teachers can adapt the classroom environment to accommodate these students.
5. Educating Students with Special Needs
In this lesson, we will explore how to educate students with special needs. We will specifically address how the educational needs of these students are best served if they are in a mainstream classroom being taught alongside their peers.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AEPA Reading Endorsement K-8 (AZ046): Practice & Study Guide course
- AEPA Reading K-8: Language Development
- AEPA Reading K-8: Cognitive Foundations of Literacy
- AEPA Reading K-8: Sociocultural Influences on Literacy
- AEPA Reading K-8: Theoretical Models of Reading
- AEPA Reading K-8: Assessment Methods
- AEPA Reading K-8: Purpose of Assessments
- AEPA Reading K-8: Using Data to Drive Instruction
- AEPA Reading K-8: Phonemic Development
- AEPA Reading K-8: Appropriate Literacy Intervention
- AEPA Reading K-8: Effective Literacy Instruction
- AEPA Reading K-8: Teaching Vocabulary & Literacy
- AEPA Reading K-8: Improving Fluency
- AEPA Reading K-8: Leadership in Reading & Literacy
- AEPA Reading K-8: Phonemic & Spelling Awareness
- AEPA Reading K-8: Effective Writing
- AEPA Reading K-8: Comprehension of Content Area Texts
- AEPA Reading K-8: Reading, Writing & Critical Thinking
- AEPA Reading K-8: Types of Texts
- AEPA Reading Endorsement K-8 Flashcards