About This Chapter
AEPA Reading K-8: Types of Texts - Chapter Summary
These chapter resources will help you brush up on different types of texts and their purposes. You'll cover the text types you'll need to know for the AEPA Reading K-8 exam, including:
- Literary non-fiction
- Expository texts: types
- Persuasive texts: definition
- Functional texts: examples
- Informational texts: characteristics
There is no faster or easier way to learn about text types than with these short lessons and quizzes. Our instructors clearly and concisely explain the topics you'll need to know so you can get up to speed in less time. Review these short video lessons and text transcripts, then test your knowledge with lesson quizzes and a chapter exam.
AEPA Reading K-8: Types of Texts Chapter Objectives
The AEPA Reading K-8 exam is part of the licensure process for some Arizona educators. It consists of 100 constructed-response questions and one written assignment. You'll have three-and-a-half hours to complete the exam.
This chapter corresponds to the Content Area Literacy in Grades K-8 subarea of the exam, which makes up about 13% of the total test. The topics covered in these lessons will give you the background you need to answer questions on the use of different types of texts.
1. What Is Fiction? - Definition & Types
In this lesson, we will learn about fiction. We'll take a close look at its definitions and its types and explore the difference between literary and commercial fiction.
2. Non-Fiction as Literary Form: Definition and Examples
Although non-fiction might seem fairly straightforward, there are quite a few different genres within non-fiction that are easy to confuse. With this in mind, we'll consider the similarities and differences between biographies, autobiographies and memoirs, essays, and journalism.
3. What is Expository Text? - Definition, Types & Examples
Expository text exposes you to facts: plain and simple. In this lesson, you will learn how to understand and identify expository text. You will be able to distinguish between expository and narrative text and understand why this distinction is important.
4. What is Persuasive Text? - Definition & Examples
This lesson will teach you how to identify all components of persuasive writing. You'll learn more about informational texts and test your understanding through a brief quiz.
5. What is a Functional Text? - Definition & Examples
From flyers to recipes, functional texts play a role in our lives by performing a specific function. This lesson describes what sets functional texts apart, including how we interact with them.
6. What is Informational Text? - Definition, Characteristics & Examples
This lesson will help you understand and identify all components of informational text. Learn more about informational text and see examples in this lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AEPA Reading Endorsement K-8 (AZ046): Practice & Study Guide course
- AEPA Reading K-8: Language Development
- AEPA Reading K-8: Teaching Students with Special Needs
- AEPA Reading K-8: Cognitive Foundations of Literacy
- AEPA Reading K-8: Sociocultural Influences on Literacy
- AEPA Reading K-8: Theoretical Models of Reading
- AEPA Reading K-8: Assessment Methods
- AEPA Reading K-8: Purpose of Assessments
- AEPA Reading K-8: Using Data to Drive Instruction
- AEPA Reading K-8: Phonemic Development
- AEPA Reading K-8: Appropriate Literacy Intervention
- AEPA Reading K-8: Effective Literacy Instruction
- AEPA Reading K-8: Teaching Vocabulary & Literacy
- AEPA Reading K-8: Improving Fluency
- AEPA Reading K-8: Leadership in Reading & Literacy
- AEPA Reading K-8: Phonemic & Spelling Awareness
- AEPA Reading K-8: Effective Writing
- AEPA Reading K-8: Comprehension of Content Area Texts
- AEPA Reading K-8: Reading, Writing & Critical Thinking
- AEPA Reading Endorsement K-8 Flashcards