About This Chapter
AFOQT: Analogies - Chapter Summary
It may have been awhile since you've studied material like the ways to utilize analogies, synonyms, and antonyms for comprehension. This chapter provides you with text and video lessons that can spark your memory of the information needed to answer the questions about analogies on the AFOQT exam. By taking our short quizzes at the end of the lessons, you will get the practice you need to answer questions similar to those you will see on exam day. The other topics covered by this chapter include the following:
- Definition of analogies, analytical intelligence, and weak analogy fallacy
- Functions of verbals, like gerunds and infinitives
- Examples of analogy in literature
Please keep in mind that you do not have to watch the videos in their entirety. Use the video tags to go to specific parts of the videos you need to review. You can also link to parts of the videos that are related to any of your incorrect quiz answers.
1. What Are Analogies? - Definition & Types
Analogy. The word itself is sometimes enough to intimidate the most confident of students. This lesson will explain the analogy and describe the most common types of analogies.
2. Analogy in Literature: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn the definition of an analogy, how to use this common literary device in writing and how to interpret its meaning when reading text.
3. The Weak Analogy Fallacy: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you'll learn how to identify a weak analogy and how to create a few of your own. We'll also look at a several examples of what to avoid when making analogies.
4. Using Synonyms, Antonyms & Analogies to Improve Understanding
In this lesson, you'll explore your three best friends when it comes to understanding difficult words: antonyms, synonyms, and analogies. Then, test your knowledge of these three buddies with a quiz.
5. Classification Analogies: Definition & Types
One of the most common types of analogies are classification analogies, which compares terms according to categories. In this lesson, we'll look at how to identify and solve them.
6. Characteristic Analogies: Definition & Types
Let's face it: at some point you're going to have to solve analogies, and characteristic analogies are among the most common. After this lesson, they'll also be among the easiest.
7. Association Analogies: Definition & Types
Association analogies are the most common analogies found on tests. There are four different kinds and in this lesson, we will cover the definition and main types of association analogies.
8. Part to Whole Analogies: Definition & Types
Analogies are often a cause of concern for many students, with part to whole analogies being among the most common. This lesson teaches the steps to solve a part to whole analogy.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AFOQT: Practice & Study Guide course
- AFOQT: Word Comprehension
- AFOQT: Arithmetic Comprehension
- AFOQT: Arithmetic Equations
- AFOQT: Factoring
- AFOQT: Exponents & Roots
- AFOQT: Word Problems
- AFOQT: Algebraic Expressions
- AFOQT: Graphs, Linear Equations & Parabolas
- AFOQT: Quadratic Equations
- AFOQT: Polynomials, Functions & Rational Expressions
- AFOQT: Principles of Geometry
- AFOQT: Lines & Angles
- AFOQT: Circles & Triangles
- AFOQT: Rectangles & Solids
- AFOQT: Figures & Polygons
- AFOQT: Three-dimensional Blocks
- AFOQT: Object Visualization & Manipulation
- AFOQT: Table Knowledge
- AFOQT: Instrument Knowledge
- AFOQT: Aviation
- AFOQT: The Metric System & Scientific Notation
- AFOQT: Atoms & Matter
- AFOQT: Thermodynamics & Electricity
- AFOQT: Magnetism
- AFOQT: Earth Science
- AFOQT: Biomolecules & Cells
- AFOQT: Human Anatomy
- AFOQT: Personality Traits & Attitudes
- AFOQT Flashcards