About This Chapter
AFOQT: Arithmetic Comprehension - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter help you improve your arithmetic comprehension, including analyzing number lines and the recognizing different types of numbers for the test. After going through this chapter, you should be capable of answering questions on the test that relate to:
- Odd and even numbers
- Definition and examples of prime numbers
- Notation for fractions, decimals and rational numbers
- Decimal place value and absolute value
- Mathematical sequences
- Non-binary and binary operations
- Classifying an arithmetic sequence
The videos in this chapter are short and have an engaging format, helping you review basic arithmetic topics for the exam in a fun manner. If you get stuck with a topic, you can simply send a question to one of the instructors. Self-assessment quizzes and lesson transcripts are also available to make the study process less difficult.
1. What Is a Number Line?
A number line is a visual representation of all real numbers. In this lesson, we'll learn how to identify points on a number line. We'll also practice addition and subtraction, letting the number line do all the hard work.
2. What are the Different Types of Numbers?
Learn all of the different types of numbers: natural numbers, whole numbers, integers, rational numbers, irrational numbers, and real numbers. This video lesson teaches you how to classify any numbers you come across.
3. What Are Odd & Even Numbers? - Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you'll learn what odd and even numbers are with the help of some visual aids. You'll also learn some interesting properties of odd and even numbers. Then, you can test your new knowledge with a brief quiz.
4. What Are Prime Numbers? - Definition & Examples
In this lesson, we'll do a brief review of factors, and then learn how factors make prime numbers unique. You can also test your knowledge with a brief quiz.
5. Notation for Rational Numbers, Fractions & Decimals
How do fractions become decimals? And how do decimals become fractions? In this lesson, we'll learn about the notation of rational numbers, fractions and decimals and learn how they're related.
6. What is a Decimal Place Value?
In this video lesson, you will see how a decimal, a simple dot, can change the place value of all the digits in a number. You will also learn how to read decimals using place values.
7. What is an Absolute Value?
When we're talking and comparing numbers, we often don't care whether its positive or negative, just how big it is. This is often called the magnitude of a number and we find it by taking the absolute value. Learn all about it here!
8. What is a Mathematical Sequence?
Math is often the most fun when it acts like a puzzle to be solved. The branch of math where this is the most true involves sequences. Get an introduction to the basics and important vocabulary, as well as learn where sequences appear in nature!
9. How to Find and Classify an Arithmetic Sequence
Arithmetic sequences are everywhere, and with a few tricks you learn here, you could end up looking like a psychic the next time you go to a movie or a football game!
10. Binary and Non-Binary Operations
Binary and non-binary are two terms that might really scare you, much like an operation may scare you. But don't worry, this lesson is super fun and super easy. You'll learn the definitions of these terms and see examples of each.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AFOQT: Practice & Study Guide course
- AFOQT: Word Comprehension
- AFOQT: Analogies
- AFOQT: Arithmetic Equations
- AFOQT: Factoring
- AFOQT: Exponents & Roots
- AFOQT: Word Problems
- AFOQT: Algebraic Expressions
- AFOQT: Graphs, Linear Equations & Parabolas
- AFOQT: Quadratic Equations
- AFOQT: Polynomials, Functions & Rational Expressions
- AFOQT: Principles of Geometry
- AFOQT: Lines & Angles
- AFOQT: Circles & Triangles
- AFOQT: Rectangles & Solids
- AFOQT: Figures & Polygons
- AFOQT: Three-dimensional Blocks
- AFOQT: Object Visualization & Manipulation
- AFOQT: Table Knowledge
- AFOQT: Instrument Knowledge
- AFOQT: Aviation
- AFOQT: The Metric System & Scientific Notation
- AFOQT: Atoms & Matter
- AFOQT: Thermodynamics & Electricity
- AFOQT: Magnetism
- AFOQT: Earth Science
- AFOQT: Biomolecules & Cells
- AFOQT: Human Anatomy
- AFOQT: Personality Traits & Attitudes
- AFOQT Flashcards