About This Chapter
AFOQT: Arithmetic Equations - Chapter Summary
Master your ability to solve arithmetic equations by reviewing the lessons in this chapter. When you finish, you'll know more about these topics for the exam:
- Performing addition and subtraction
- Steps used to perform multiplication and division
- Multiplication property of zero
- Performing long division
- Remainders and estimation
- Percents and ratios
- Rate constants and laws
- Rate of change
It's easy to quickly move through each video, as each on is only 5-10 minutes long. The lessons are taught by professional instructors so you can rest assured you are receiving sound math information for the exam. Make sure you are comprehending the information the right way by using the self-assessment quizzes.
1. How to Perform Addition: Steps & Examples
Addition is one of the basic operations of math. You can say that the whole of mathematics is based on addition. Without addition, we wouldn't have higher math. Watch this video to learn how to add.
2. How to Perform Subtraction: Steps & Examples
Subtraction is one of the basic operations in math. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can view and understand subtraction so that you can easily perform it.
3. How to Perform Multiplication: Steps & Examples
Multiplication, one of the basic operations of math, is important not just in elementary math but also in higher math. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can multiply with ease.
4. The Multiplication Property of Zero: Definition & Examples
The number zero has different rules than other numbers; it behaves according to it's own unique properties. This lesson will define the multiplication property of zero and give some examples of how it works.
5. How to Perform Division: Steps & Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can divide. Division is one of the basic operations of math. It is one of the fundamental operations that all higher mathematics depends upon.
6. Performing Long Division with Large Numbers: Steps and Examples
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to divide larger numbers. You'll learn an easy to follow procedure that you can use to divide any two numbers.
7. Remainder in Math: Definition & Example
Division problems often result in remainders. In this lesson, we will define the remainder and use long division of numbers and synthetic division of polynomials to compute remainders.
8. Solving Mathematical Problems Using Estimation
Estimating is a method of calculating a result that is close to, but not exactly, the correct answer to a math problem. Why would you ever need to do this? This lesson reviews estimating and answers the question as to why you would do it.
9. Estimation Problems using Fractions
When working with fractions, estimating can save time and effort while getting you very close to the correct answer. In this lesson, we'll learn how to use estimation to quickly solve problems involving fractions.
10. What is a Percent? - Definition & Examples
Thinking in terms of pizza is an excellent way to think about percentages. Learn how it can help you understand percentages in this video lesson. You will also learn about the uses of percentages in the real world.
11. What is Ratio in Math? - Definition & Overview
In this lesson, learn the different ways that mathematicians write ratios. Also learn how ratios are used when cooking. You will also discover how to effectively use ratios to help you get things done.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AFOQT: Practice & Study Guide course
- AFOQT: Word Comprehension
- AFOQT: Analogies
- AFOQT: Arithmetic Comprehension
- AFOQT: Factoring
- AFOQT: Exponents & Roots
- AFOQT: Word Problems
- AFOQT: Algebraic Expressions
- AFOQT: Graphs, Linear Equations & Parabolas
- AFOQT: Quadratic Equations
- AFOQT: Polynomials, Functions & Rational Expressions
- AFOQT: Principles of Geometry
- AFOQT: Lines & Angles
- AFOQT: Circles & Triangles
- AFOQT: Rectangles & Solids
- AFOQT: Figures & Polygons
- AFOQT: Three-dimensional Blocks
- AFOQT: Object Visualization & Manipulation
- AFOQT: Table Knowledge
- AFOQT: Instrument Knowledge
- AFOQT: Aviation
- AFOQT: The Metric System & Scientific Notation
- AFOQT: Atoms & Matter
- AFOQT: Thermodynamics & Electricity
- AFOQT: Magnetism
- AFOQT: Earth Science
- AFOQT: Biomolecules & Cells
- AFOQT: Human Anatomy
- AFOQT: Personality Traits & Attitudes
- AFOQT Flashcards