About This Chapter
AFOQT: Biomolecules & Cells - Chapter Summary
Use these lessons to learn about the structure and function of biomolecules and cells as you review for the Air Force Officer Qualifying Test. You can also practice answering questions that reflect the format of the questions on the AFOQT. After completing this lesson, you should be able to answer questions about the following:
- Structure & function of carbohydrates, proteins and lipids
- DNA composition and structure
- Nucleus structure
- Chromosome structure
The instructors help you prepare for biomolecule and cell questions by reviewing the content in a concise way without compromising the integrity of the content. The lessons are either composed of short videos or texts with accompanying assessments to help check your learning as you complete the lessons. The personal dashboard is a feature that can be used to track your overall progress.
1. Structure and Function of Carbohydrates
Carbohydrates are found in many foods that we eat and may be found as sugars, starches, or fiber. Learn more about these three distinct types of carbohydrates, and how they are distinguished through their chemical structures in this lesson.
2. Structure and Function of Lipids
Molecules called lipids have long hydrocarbon chains that determine the way they act. They can be fats, oils, or hormones, and even exist in our cell membranes. Learn more about the chemical structure and biological function of various lipids in this lesson.
3. Proteins I: Structure and Function
We need our proteins, not just as a major food group but for the many useful roles that they play in our bodies. In our introductory lesson to proteins, you'll learn about the many functions we rely on them to perform.
4. DNA: Discovery, Facts, Structure & Function in Heredity
This lesson will help you to navigate the twists and turns of DNA's structure. We'll also clue you in on the amazing discoveries that put this nucleic acid in the limelight as the molecule of heredity.
5. What are Cells? - Overview
All living organisms are made up of cells, but do you know what a cell is? In this lesson, you can learn about the three main structures that all cells contain and about the two major types of cells.
6. Structure of the Nucleus: Nucleolus, Nuclear Membrane, and Nuclear Pores
In this lesson, we'll discuss the organization and importance of the nucleus in your cells. This is the membrane-bound structure responsible for containing all the genetic material essential to making you who you are.
7. Basic Genetics: The Genome & Chromosomes
There are approximately 3 billion bases in the human genome. In this lesson, you'll learn more about the genome and its organization into chromosomes. We think about DNA often as the blueprint for life, but we can also think of it as the recipe for life with the nucleus being the library.
8. How is DNA Organized into Chromosomes? - Structure & Function
Explore the structure of chromosomes and see how DNA fits inside the nucleus of the cell. In this lesson, you'll learn about histones, chromatin and nucleosomes.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AFOQT: Practice & Study Guide course
- AFOQT: Word Comprehension
- AFOQT: Analogies
- AFOQT: Arithmetic Comprehension
- AFOQT: Arithmetic Equations
- AFOQT: Factoring
- AFOQT: Exponents & Roots
- AFOQT: Word Problems
- AFOQT: Algebraic Expressions
- AFOQT: Graphs, Linear Equations & Parabolas
- AFOQT: Quadratic Equations
- AFOQT: Polynomials, Functions & Rational Expressions
- AFOQT: Principles of Geometry
- AFOQT: Lines & Angles
- AFOQT: Circles & Triangles
- AFOQT: Rectangles & Solids
- AFOQT: Figures & Polygons
- AFOQT: Three-dimensional Blocks
- AFOQT: Object Visualization & Manipulation
- AFOQT: Table Knowledge
- AFOQT: Instrument Knowledge
- AFOQT: Aviation
- AFOQT: The Metric System & Scientific Notation
- AFOQT: Atoms & Matter
- AFOQT: Thermodynamics & Electricity
- AFOQT: Magnetism
- AFOQT: Earth Science
- AFOQT: Human Anatomy
- AFOQT: Personality Traits & Attitudes
- AFOQT Flashcards