About This Chapter
Africa & the Middle East After 1945 - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
The peoples of Africa and the Middle East have rich, complex cultures and histories. They've also faced a number of political, economic and social challenges that have had lasting effects; one only needs to watch the news for a day to pick up on that fact. In this chapter, you'll examine the post-World War II events that have shaped countries in Africa as well as in the Middle East. You will learn about the impact of colonization on Africa, the effect of Israel's creation and the causes of Middle East conflict. By the time you finish the video lessons, you'll have knowledge on topics such as:
- How African colonies were able to gain independence
- How South Africa was affected by apartheid
- Why Israel was established after World War II
- What economic and political factors have influenced the modern Middle East
- What have been sources of post-WWII conflict in the Middle East
|Important Events in Africa: 1945-Present||Explore post-WWII events in Africa, including fights for independence, and how they've affected the continent in modern times.|
|Nigeria: Politics, Economy & Culture (1945-Present)||Learn about the Nigerian culture and the political and economic issues impacting the country since 1945.|
|The Congo: Politics, Economy & Culture (1945-Present)||Get details on the post-WWII economic and political challenges faced by the Congo in Africa.|
|Tanzania: Politics, Economy & Culture (1945-Present)||Examine Tanzania's culture and the political and economic issues that have affected Tanzanians since 1945.|
|South Africa in the Apartheid Era||Explore the roots of apartheid in South Africa and its repercussions in the country.|
|Life in Africa after Independence||Discover the social and political changes African nations have experienced since gaining independence.|
|The Creation of Israel in 1948: Timeline & Resulting Conflicts||See what events led to Israel's establishment and how its existence has led to conflict.|
|Overview of the Middle East: 1945-Present||Take a look at the political and economic influences that have shaped the Middle East region since 1945.|
|Life in the Modern Middle East||Examine the rich diversity in the Middle East and learn about key leaders that have impacted the region during modern times.|
|Conflicts in the Middle East Since World War II||Learn about the causes and effects of post-WWII conflicts among Middle East countries.|
1. Important Events in Africa: 1945-Present
More than any other region, Africa has transformed dramatically over the past 70 years. This lesson explains how a continent of colonies transformed into a continent of vibrant states.
2. Nigeria: Politics, Economy & Culture (1945-Present)
Nigeria is the most populated country in Africa and home to one of the world's fastest growing economies. That said, it also faces many of the same problems and issues as other African states.
3. The Congo: Politics, Economy & Culture (1945-Present)
The Democratic People's Republic of the Congo could be the richest country in the world. However, chronic mismanagement has left it as one of the poorest. This lesson explains how that happened.
4. Tanzania: Politics, Economy & Culture (1945-Present)
Born from the unity of a former German colony and a former Arab sultanate, Tanzania started its independence heavily leaning towards socialism, but is now coming around to more free market views on economics.
5. South Africa in the Apartheid Era
Alongside the American period of segregation and Jim Crow, South Africa remains one of only a handful of countries to legalize and institutionalize racial discrimination. This lesson explains that practice, as well as how it was dismantled.
6. Life in Africa after Independence
In this lesson, we will learn about African independence in the aftermath of World War II. We'll explore key figures, examine the factors that resulted in African independence, and highlight major events and developments.
7. The Creation of Israel in 1948: Timeline & Resulting Conflicts
In this lesson, we explore the movements and political developments that led to the creation of the state of Israel and the subsequent backlash from the Arab world.
8. Overview of the Middle East: 1945-Present
The Middle East has undergone considerable changes since 1945. From 'mandate' territories to areas of great geopolitical interest, few aspects of modern life are untouched by the events of this region.
9. Life in the Modern Middle East
Societies in the Middle East have developed along very different paths, even in the past 100 years. This lesson takes a look at how Turkey, Israel, and Lebanon developed into the states they are today.
10. Conflicts in the Middle East Since World War II
No other world region has been as gripped with conflict as the Middle East since World War II. This lesson explores many of those conflicts, while providing background on underlying causes.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the History 113: World History II course
- Europe's Age of Exploration
- The Protestant Reformation
- The Elizabethan Era in Europe
- European Colonialism
- Absolute Monarchs in Europe
- Empire and Expansion in the 18th Century
- The Asian World (1368-1911)
- The Scientific Revolution and Enlightenment
- The French Revolution and Napoleon Bonaparte
- Nationalist Revolutions Across the World
- Industrialization in the Western World
- European Life & Trends
- Imperialism in the 19th-20th Centuries
- Global Transformations in the Early 20th Century
- World War I: Battles & Diplomacy
- Revolution & Nationalism in Asia
- Crisis & Depression Between the World Wars
- World War II: European & Pacific Theaters
- Restructuring the World After World War II
- The Spread of Democracy Across the World
- Europe & the United States After 1945
- Latin America after 1945
- Asia & the Pacific After 1945
- Contemporary Global Concerns