About This Chapter
African Art & Music Lesson Plans - Chapter Summary
Plan your African art and music curriculum with this helpful collection of teacher resources. The chapter includes detailed lesson plans that cover the history, characteristics and types of African textiles, dance, music, and art. There are also several African music activities included that you can easily incorporate into your lessons. Some of the topics that you'll be able to teach include:
- African dance costumes
- History and types of African masks
- The characteristics and instruments of West African music
- Famous African-American artists
- Types of African musical instruments
- The history of Egyptian art and music
- African tribal art
After planning your lessons, use the chapter's resources to supplement your instruction. Use the lessons to start class discussions and assign our interactive quizzes to make sure your students understand these African art and music topics.
How It Helps
- Curriculum standards: Lesson plan content is aligned with curriculum standards
- Additional resources: Use the chapter's lessons and quizzes as supplemental materials for your art and music lessons
- Class activities: Includes fun music activities to enhance your students' understanding of African music
How It Works
This helpful resource offers teachers lesson plan outlines with relevant tools to make planning African art and music lessons easy.
- Find lesson plans for specific African art and music topics you want to cover in class.
- Formulate your African art and music class outline using the suggested classroom tools offered in the lesson plans.
- Share the related African art and music lessons for each lesson plan with students in class to make learning fun and engaging.
- Use related lesson quizzes to ensure your students understand the most important African art and music concepts from the lessons.
- Engage your students with relevant African art and music activities, discussion questions or other materials found in the lesson plan outline.
1. African Art Lesson Plan
What is African art? A Study.com text lesson delivers essential information about African art, while an in-class activity gives students the chance to create an African tribal mask. Related lessons and extra activities help to further instruction.
2. African Tribal Art: History & Examples
Some of the most famous artists of the Western world, such as Picasso, were influenced by traditional African art. This lesson focuses on the history of African tribal art and takes a look at some well-known examples.
3. African Textiles Lesson Plan
In this lesson, students will become familiar with African fabrics, their origination and best uses. This lesson includes independent reading, two activities and a quiz.
4. African Textile History
The history of African textiles spans centuries in time and reflects the ancestral traditions of the African people. Learning about the types of fabrics used in cloth-making and understanding their cultural significance are major goals of this lesson.
5. African Textiles: Patterns & Techniques
Colorful, bold, striking. These are a few words that come to most people's mind when viewing African textiles. But how do people put designs on the fabric? In this lesson, we'll explore some patterns and techniques used in making African textiles.
6. African Masks: Meaning & Designs
Some masks aren't simple objects that are meant to be worn for Halloween or other holidays. In African cultures, masks mean many things. This lesson explores meanings and designs of African masks.
7. African Masks Lesson Plan
What role have masks played in the culture of Africa throughout history? This lesson plan opens with a text lesson to outline key facts and closes with an activity to reinforce learning. Each student will walk away with an African mask of their own.
8. African Masks: Types & History
Have you ever worn a mask? If so, why? Was it for fun or for a serious purpose? In this lesson, explore several types of African masks and learn about their history.
9. African Dance: Moves, Costumes & History
Africa is known for its cheerful music and dances. In this lesson, explore African dance and learn about its history and cultural significance. Also, discover some basic formations found in several dances and examine the traditional costumes.
10. African Music Lesson Plan
Use this lesson plan to help you teach your students about the music of West Africa. Students will watch our engaging video lesson that explains the rhythm and melody of this genre before pausing to discuss concepts, then apply learning to a fun activity.
11. West African Music Lesson Plan
What is unique about West African music and how did it influence other musical styles? This lesson plan builds upon an engaging video lesson with an activity designed to connect students to the sounds of West African music.
12. Music of West Africa: Rhythms, Dance, Instruments & Characteristics
In this lesson, explore the musical traditions of West Africa and discover how rhythms and melodies interact to create a complex song structure. Then, test your understanding with a brief quiz.
13. African Music Activities
African music delights with unique sounds, instruments and movements. However, many people have never even heard African music. These activities are designed to share the beauty of African music as you teach students about its elements and nuances.
14. African Drumming Lesson Plan
The drums are exciting instruments to play whether in an orchestra or drum circle. Your students will learn about the African drums as they read and discuss a text lesson, demonstrate the drums, and create their own drum rhythms.
15. African Drums: Types, Beats & Facts
In this lesson, we'll look at some of the more common types of African drums and learn a little about their shape and sound. Additionally, you'll learn how to play one of the most well-known drum types for yourself.
16. African Musical Instruments Lesson Plan
Teachers, this lesson plan introduces students to African musical instruments and allows them to create an instrumental song. Students will also read the lesson, participate in discussions, and take a quiz.
17. African Musical Instruments: Types & Facts
Have you ever heard of a kora or a kalimba? How about a balafon? They're all used to make music. In this lesson, explore different types of African musical instruments and learn facts related to them.
18. African American Artists Lesson Plan
What does the African American genre of fine art look like? This lesson plan explains the history and influence of African American artists with the help of a text lesson. An activity welcomes a deeper connection to African American art.
19. African American Artists: Art & Paintings
In the history of American arts, African American painters are often overlooked. In this lesson, we're going to discuss major artists and look at their works within the context of American and global movements.
20. Egyptian Music Lesson Plan
Musical instruments of ancient Egypt are the focus of this lesson plan. Through discussion and activities, students learn about ancient Egyptian musical instruments and their role in Egyptian society. Students will create an Egyptian sistrum.
21. Egyptian Music: Instruments & History
Have you ever heard of a sistrum? What does it have in common with harps, trumpets, and flutes? Learn about this instrument and more as we explore musical instruments played in ancient Egypt.
22. Elementary School Egyptian Art Lesson Plan
Use this lesson plan to help you introduce students to ancient Egyptian art. Students will read a text lesson and discuss ancient Egyptian art before using their newfound knowledge to create their own pieces of art.
23. Egyptian Art Lesson for Kids: Facts & History
Ancient Egyptians were famous for creating different types of artwork. In this lesson, learn how religion influenced many forms of Egyptian art, and discover how ancient Egyptians used natural materials to create pottery, paintings, and impressive architecture.
24. South African Music: Origin & History
Have you ever heard the song ''The Lion Sleeps Tonight''? Did you know it's connected to South African music? In this lesson, explore the complex origins and history of South African music.
25. African Masks Lesson Plan for Elementary School
What role do masks play in African culture? This lesson plan explains this with the help of text lesson designed for kids. An activity gives each student the opportunity to create their very own African mask.
26. African Masks: Lesson for Kids
Do you like learning about different cultures and how they dress for celebrations? Well, come and learn about African masks. This lesson will focus on their purpose, the different types of African masks, stylistic characteristics, and how you can make your own.
27. Kente Weaving Lesson Plan
With this lesson plan, your students are going to learn about the West African tradition of kente cloth. They will apply their learning with a craft activity designed to focus on the planning and artistry of kente cloth construction.
28. Kente Cloth: Definition, History & Designs
Kente cloth is one of the most important fabrics in West Africa. In this lesson, we are going to explore the history and significance of this cloth, and see how it is produced.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the World Music & Art Lesson Plans & Activities course
- Japanese Art & Music Lesson Plans
- Asian Music & Art Lesson Plans
- Caribbean Music & Art Lesson Plans
- Russian Art & Music Lesson Plans
- Greek & Roman Art & Architecture Lesson Plans
- Cultural Art & Music Lesson Plans
- Native American Art & Music Lesson Plans & Resources
- Latin American Art & Music Lesson Plans