About This Chapter
Air Masses & Wind - Chapter Summary
This chapter's videos make sure you are familiar with El Nino and La Nina, including their effects on land and at sea. You can learn about the Pacific Decadal Oscillation in one of the engaging lessons and study polar fronts and gradient forces. By watching the lessons in this chapter, you'll also be brushing up on these relevant topics:
- The names of the major wind belts
- The causes of jet streams
- Types of monsoonal circulations
- Gradient forces, Coriolis Effect and other factors that affect wind
Refresh your knowledge of wind and air masses by watching these videos on a computer or your Internet-enabled handheld device. Once you complete any of these videos, you can go back to double-check any of the main segments with the video tags. Every lesson comes with a practice quiz that enables you to quickly confirm your grasp of the material.
1. The Global Wind Patterns of the Three Wind Belts
You are familiar with wind, but did you know there are different wind belts depending on where you are on the earth? This lesson will examine the three main wind belts: polar easterlies, tropical easterlies and prevailing westerlies.
2. Jet Streams & the Polar Front
You've probably heard about jet streams during the news weather segment. But what is a jet stream? This lesson will explain how jet streams form, what they are and then will focus on the polar jet stream.
3. Monsoons & Monsoonal Circulations
Monsoons bring a seasonal change in weather to many parts of the world. This lesson will explore two monsoonal circulations and will also discuss how monsoons impact the people who experience them.
4. Factors That Affect Wind: Pressure Gradient Forces, Coriolis Effect & Friction
In this video lesson, you will learn about wind and some factors that affect it, such as air temperature and pressure, the Coriolis effect, and friction. By the end of this lesson, you will also understand how Earth's rotation plays a role in how winds travel.
5. The Relationship Between El Nino & La Nina
In this video lesson, you will learn about El Niño and La Niña. You will understand the differences between them, as well as some of their effects on both ocean waters and weather patterns on land.
6. The Pacific Decadal Oscillation & El Nino
Understanding the Pacific Decadal Oscillation, or the PDO, and El Niño allows scientists to better understand weather phenomenon. This lesson explores the PDO, as well as its similarities with El Niño and La Niña.
7. Types of Air Masses & Their Effect on Weather
Air masses affect weather in a number of different ways. In this lesson, you will learn about the different types of air masses found on Earth and how the movement of air masses creates changes in the weather.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NES Earth & Space Science - WEST (307): Practice & Study Guide course
- The Scientific Revolution & Society
- Scientific Research & Experiments
- Laboratory Equipment, Solutions & Measurements
- Using Mathematics in Science
- Reading & Constructing Maps
- Cycles and Spheres of Earth
- Rocks & Minerals
- Earth's Internal Structure
- The Lithosphere
- Understanding Earthquakes
- Weathering, Erosion & Soil
- Geologic Time & Relative Dating
- Natural Resources & Energy
- Earth's Water Balance
- Oceans & Tides
- Ground Water Systems
- Flowing Water
- Water Resource Issues
- Atmospheric Cycle & Solar Energy
- Earth's Climate Systems
- Severe Weather & Disturbances
- Weather Forecasting & Analysis
- Atmospheric Changes
- Formation & Phases of the Moon
- The Sun's Structure, Energy & Life Cycle
- Solar Radiation, Energy & Light
- Orbits & Gravity
- Formation of the Solar System
- Solar System Components & Characteristics
- The Laws of Kepler & Newton
- Star Types & Life Cycle
- Stars, Energy & Spectra
- Cosmological Theories of the Universe
- Space Science Technology
- NES/WEST Earth & Space Science Flashcards