About This Chapter
Alcohol & Tobacco Use and Personal Health - Chapter Summary
Let our instructors provide you with a comprehensive overview of how alcohol and tobacco are used in the United States. You can also learn about some of the social and environmental issues surrounding their use and ways in which these substances impact health and behavior. Treatment options for alcoholism are discussed as well. Lessons in this chapter are designed to teach you the following about alcohol and tobacco:
- Consumption trends
- Physiological effects
- Associated health risks
Use the resources in this chapter to quickly and easily review key health issues related to tobacco and alcohol. The video lessons last about five minutes each and include tags to help you skip ahead or go back to the content you want to study. You can also identify important vocabulary terms at a glance by viewing the transcripts and test your understanding of lesson and chapter topics with the self-checking quizzes.
1. Alcohol Use in the United States: Trends in Consumption
You more than likely have had alcohol once in your life. At least that's what statistics point to. In fact, this lesson will be chock full of statistics about alcohol use and abuse in the United States.
2. The Effects of Alcohol: Physiological, Behavioral & Long-Term
If you've ever wondered why men seem to tolerate alcohol better than women or what alcohol does to the body and mind, then tune into this lesson for more information.
3. Alcoholism: Causes, Symptoms, Effects & Treatment
Alcohol can be a really terrible thing when it is abused. The problems it causes do not just damage the user but their friends, family, and society as a whole. You'll learn about why alcoholism occurs and how it can be addressed.
4. Tobacco Use in the United States: Trends in Consumption
This lesson will discuss important statistics related to smoking, including how age, ethnicity, education, and geographic location influence tobacco use, as well as the financial and health-related implications of smoking.
5. The Social and Political Issues of Tobacco Use
We often think about the fact that smoking is something we should worry about with respect to cancer, but political, social, and religious concerns are just as important when it comes to this deadly habit. Learn about how these concerns are related to smoking in this lesson.
6. Tobacco Use: Addiction and Short-Term Effects
In this lesson, you will learn about why it is that smoking is so addictive and what the short-term consequences of tobacco use will result in. You will also find out how nicotine plays an important role in all of this.
7. Smoking: Long-Term Consequences
In this lesson, we will look at why smoking is so harmful to your health from a chemical perspective. After that, we will discuss exactly what smoking causes in the long run. You'll be surprised to learn that lung cancer is the least of your concerns.
8. Smoking: Effects on Others & the Environment
This lesson will hopefully dispel some myths surrounding secondhand smoke and how it affects people who do not smoke. You'll even learn about the fact that there are two different kinds of secondhand smoke.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the DSST Health & Human Development: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Introduction to Health and Wellness
- Psychosocial Health for Personal Wellness
- Mood Disorders and Personal Health
- Anxiety Disorders and Personal Health
- Psychotic Disorders and Personal Health
- Personality Disorders and Personal Health
- Stress Disorders and Personal Health
- Stress Management and Coping Mechanisms
- Addictive Behaviors and Drug Use
- Drugs & Substance Use Disorders
- Healthy Relationships and Sexuality
- Contraception and Family Planning
- Human Reproduction, Pregnancy & Birth
- Sexual & Gender Identity Disorders and Personal Health
- Nutrition's Role in Health
- Fitness for Personal Health
- Weight Management for Personal Health
- The Aging Population and Personal Health
- Dying & Bereavement in Personal Health
- Cardiovascular, Respiratory, & Endocrine Health
- Cancer and Personal Health
- Immune Disorders & Infectious Conditions
- Diabetes, Arthritis, and Genetic-Related Disorders
- Neurological Disorders, Symptoms & Conditions
- Introduction to Environmental Health and Risk Analysis
- Environmental Health: Issues and Human Concerns
- Intentional Violence and Injury
- Personal Safety Precautions
- Consumer Awareness of Health Care
- DSST Informational Resources
- DSST Health & Human Development Flashcards