About This Chapter
Alcohols & Phenols - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you will cover lessons that will assist you in identifying alcohol categories and reactions, as well as other lessons about alcohols and phenols. Each short lesson concludes with a self-assessment quiz to let you know how you're doing. This chapter will enable you complete the following objectives:
- Understand the types, uses and formula of alcohol in chemistry
- Know the structure, uses, and formula of ethane
- Determine the formula, properties, and ways to use propane
- Examine the definition, process, and examples of oxidation
- Discuss the definition and examples of dehydration reaction
- Analyze the structure, uses, reactions of phenol
The quizzes are brief. This chapter and others can be viewed on any mobile device. The lessons in this chapter can be in text or video format. Use the Help tab to let our instructors know if you have any questions.
1. Alcohol in Chemistry: Types, Uses & Formula
This lesson describes how to recognize and name alcohols. Monohydric, dihydric, and polyhydric alcohol classifications are discussed as well as primary, tertiary, and secondary alcohol groups. The properties of alcohols and reactivity is also covered.
2. Alcohol Classification & Reactions
In organic chemistry, alcohol means a lot more than an alcoholic drink, as it commonly known. In this lesson, we'll chemically define an alcohol, look at the different oxidizing reactions that it can undergo, and the resulting products that are formed.
3. Ethane: Structure, Uses & Formula
Some of us use natural gas in our homes as fuel. Did you know that ethane is one of the components of natural gas? Ethane has many other uses as well. In this lesson, we will learn more about the formula, structure, and various uses of ethane.
4. Propane: Formula, Properties & Uses
Propane is a chemical compound that's essential in our everyday lives because of its many uses, not only inside our homes but also in different industries as well. In this lesson, we'll discuss propane and its different uses and properties.
5. What is Oxidation? - Definition, Process & Examples
In this lesson, learn about oxidation and its process, and examine some examples of oxidation, including the mystery of browning fruit. Then, measure what you've learned with a quiz.
6. Dehydration Reaction: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you'll learn how chemists define dehydration reactions and explore some specific examples from both organic and inorganic chemistry. You'll also see how dehydration reactions differ from a broader class of reactions called condensation reactions.
7. What is Phenol? - Structure & Uses
A type of carbolic acid and aromatic compound, phenol is found in numerous household products, like aspirin and detergent. Use this lesson to gain insight about phenol, understand its structure, and explore its uses.
8. Phenol: Preparation & Reactions
This lesson will focus on the properties of phenol, how to synthesize it, and a few important functional group manipulation reactions this important organic building block can undergo.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ISC Chemistry: Study Guide & Syllabus course
- Basic Concepts of Chemistry
- Measurement in Chemistry
- Atomic Structure & Models
- Periodic Table & Periodicity
- Representative Elements
- Compounds of Element Groups
- Types of Chemical Bonding
- Covalent Bonds
- Characteristics of Gases
- Properties of Colloids
- Rates of Chemical Reactions
- Heat, Work & Energy
- Redox Reactions
- Organic Compounds in Chemistry
- Chemical Reaction Mechanisms
- Aliphatic & Aromatic Hydrocarbons
- Everyday Chemistry
- Chemistry & the Environment
- Relative Molecular Mass & Mole
- Solid State Structure & Properties
- Chemical Dynamics & Reaction Rates
- Chemical Equilibria
- Ionic Equilibria
- Electrochemistry & Voltaic Cells
- Coordination Compounds
- Chemistry of p-Block Elements
- Chemistry of Transition & Inner-Transition Elements
- Alkyl & Aryl Halides
- Ethers & Carbonyl Compounds
- Cyanides, Isocyanides & Nitro Compounds
- Polymer Basics
- Types of Biomolecules
- ISC Chemistry Flashcards