About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in the Algebra Connections Multiplication and Proportions chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons with this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the multiplication and proportions topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- Multiplication of binomials
- FOIL and the area method
- How to use the distributive property to solve linear equations
- How to perform operations with polynomials containing several variables
- Methods for solving proportions
- How to calculate proportions and ratios
Algebra Connections is a registered trademark of CPM Educational Program, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Multiplying Binomials Using FOIL and the Area Method
From the distributive property, to FOIL, to the area model, to happy faces and claws, there are many different ways to learn how to multiply binomials. In this lesson, you'll learn how to use all of them and get to pick which one you like the most.
2. Multiplying Binomials Using FOIL & the Area Method: Practice Problems
There are a few mistakes that are easy to make when multiplying binomials with FOIL and also a few ways to complicate problems like this, so why not make sure you're brushed up on your skills? You'll also learn a shortcut and how to use the area method to multiply even bigger polynomials.
3. Applying the Distributive Property to Linear Equations
When it comes to linear equations, there are certain steps you have to take to solve them. One of them is the application of the distributive property when you see a pair of parentheses. Watch this video lesson to learn how.
4. Operations with Polynomials in Several Variables
In this video lesson, you will learn how to handle and work with polynomials that have more than one variable. This is important because in math you sometimes have to work with several variables at the same time.
5. Calculations with Ratios and Proportions
Even if only 99 out of 100 people need to know how to work with ratios, the odds that they'll be useful to you are very high. In this lesson, we'll practice performing calculations with ratios and proportions.
6. Practice Problems for Calculating Ratios and Proportions
In this lesson, you'll get a quick review of a type of math problem that shows up on the SAT: ratios and proportions. We'll walk through some problems in the video, and you can test your skills in the quiz questions.
7. Solving Problems Involving Proportions: Definition and Examples
Learn how you can use proportions to find missing sides and how to increase or decrease the sizes of objects to create models of them in this video lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Algebra Connections: Online Textbook Help course
- Algebra Connections Chapter 1: Problem Solving
- Algebra Connections Chapter 2: Variables and Proportions
- Algebra Connections Chapter 3: Graphs and Equations
- Algebra Connections Chapter 4: Multiple Representations
- Algebra Connections Chapter 6: Systems of Equations
- Algebra Connections Chapter 7: Linear Relationships
- Algebra Connections Chapter 8: Quadratics
- Algebra Connections Chapter 9: Inequalities
- Algebra Connections Chapter 10: Simplifying and Solving
- Algebra Connections Chapter 11: Functions and Relations
- Algebra Connections Chapter 12: Algebraic Extensions