About This Chapter
Who's it for?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering high school algebra material will benefit from taking this course. There is no faster or easier way to learn high school algebra. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding exponential functions or working with exponential growth vs. decay
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning math (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about logarithmic and exponential functions
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra math learning resources
How it works:
- Find videos in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Algebra II: Exponential and Logarithmic Functions chapter exam.
Why it works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Algebra II: Exponential and Logarithmic Functions chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any logarithmic and exponential functions question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students will review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts in an Algebra II: Exponential and Logarithmic Functions unit of a standard high school Algebra II course. Topics covered include:
- Exponential growth vs. decay in graphs
- How to graph and evaluate logarithms
- Logarithmic properties
- Solving exponential equations
- Solving logarithmic equations
1. What Is an Exponential Function?
Brand new technologies don't always catch on right away because they can be expensive and don't always work as well as they should. But once the price comes down, and they start to work better, it doesn't take very long before it seems like everyone has one. Learn about the numbers behind this, exponential functions!
2. Exponential Growth vs. Decay
How is it that it only takes four years for our computer to go from top-of-the-line to almost worthless? Well, it has something to do with what's called exponential decay, which we'll learn about here!
3. What is a Logarithm?
Logarithms can help you solve exponential functions. In this lesson, you will learn about how to work with and recognize logarithms, and how to use logarithm notation with an example problem about earthquakes!
4. How to Graph Logarithms: Transformations and Effects on Domain/Range
The graph of a basic logarithm is relatively simple. This lesson will show you how to graph a logarithm and what the transformations will do to the graph as well as their effects on the domain and range of the graph.
5. How to Evaluate Logarithms
Using this lesson, you can get practice evaluating logarithms, as well as learn some of the shortcuts behind writing and estimating them. You can also learn how to use your calculator to evaluate logarithms, and learn about a concept called the change of base theory.
6. Logarithmic Properties
Along with the change of base property, there are three other logarithmic properties that allow you to manipulate expressions to your advantage. Learn about the product rule, quotient rule and power rule here.
7. Practice Problems for Logarithmic Properties
As you get further and further into mathematics, logarithms will appear more and more. It's the point of this lesson to get you used to dealing with them and able to know what to do when you see a whole line of paper full of them!
8. How to Solve Exponential Equations
Read this lesson to learn the steps you need to take to solve exponential equations. You'll see that it's not too difficult; you just need to make use of one other mathematical operation in order to solve your problems.
9. How to Solve Logarithmic Equations
If you're ever picking out a telescope to see your favorite planet, make sure you do the math first! Learn how to solve the logarithmic equation that will get you the size telescope you want.
10. Congruent Angles: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, we'll explore the definition of a congruent angle. You'll learn how to draw a congruent angle, explore examples of congruent angles, and test your knowledge with a short quiz.
11. How to Graph ln(x)
This lesson will explore the properties of the function ln(x). We will use these properties to graph ln(x), and we will take it a bit further and look at how we can use the relationship between ln(x) and e^x to graph ln(x).
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the High School Algebra II: Help and Review course
- Algebra II - Basic Arithmetic Review: Help and Review
- Algebra II - Algebraic Expressions: Help & Review
- Algebra II - Real Numbers: Help and Review
- Algebra II - Complex and Imaginary Numbers Review: Help and Review
- Exponents & Exponential Expressions in Algebra: Help & Review
- Algebra II - Properties of Functions Review: Help and Review
- Algebra II - Linear Equations Review: Help and Review
- Algebra II - Systems of Linear Equations: Help and Review
- Algebra II - Inequalities Review: Help and Review
- Algebra II - Matrices and Determinants: Help and Review
- Algebra II - Absolute Value Review: Help and Review
- Algebra II - Polynomials: Help and Review
- Algebra II - Factoring: Help and Review
- Algebra II Quadratic Equations: Help and Review
- Algebra II - Rational Expressions: Help and Review
- Algebra II - Graphing and Functions: Help and Review
- Algebra II - Roots and Radical Expressions Review: Help and Review
- Algebra II - Quadratic Equations: Help and Review
- Algebra II - Conic Sections: Help and Review
- Algebra II - Sequences and Series: Help and Review
- Algebra II - Sets: Help and Review
- Algebra II - Combinatorics: Help and Review
- Algebra II Ratios & Proportions: Help & Review
- Algebra II - Statistics: Help and Review
- Algebra II - Trigonometry: Help and Review