About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other high school algebra II work.
- Identify the exponents and exponential expressions concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our high school algebra II tutoring solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn exponents and exponential expressions and earn better grades. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding exponential and scientific notation, order of operations, power of zero, negative exponents, power of powers or any other exponents and exponential expressions topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their math learning
- Prefer learning math visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their exponents and exponential expressions review unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in high school algebra II
- Don't have access to their math teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning about exponents and exponential expressions simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live algebra II tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn about exponents and exponential expressions on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Describe the relationship between exponents and multiplication.
- Write exponential notation for a product.
- Use scientific notation to write numbers.
- Simplify and solve exponential expressions.
- Multiply and divide exponential expressions.
- Understand how to use the power of zero.
- Use negative exponents to write powers of fractions and decimals.
1. How to Use Exponential Notation
Exponential notation is a mathematical method for writing longer multiplication problems in a simplified manner. This lesson will define how to work with exponential notation and give some examples of how it is used.
2. Scientific Notation: Definition and Examples
Scientific notation is a special way of writing numbers so they are easier to work with. This lesson will define scientific notations and show some examples of how to convert numbers from standard notation to scientific notation and back.
3. Simplifying and Solving Exponential Expressions
What do we do with an exponent? In this lesson, we'll learn how to simplify and solve expressions containing exponents. We'll solve a variety of types of exponential expressions.
4. Exponential Expressions & The Order of Operations
When performing mathematical operations, there is a specific order in which the operations should be performed. This includes when to simplify the exponents. This lesson will describe in what order exponents should be solved as you are performing mathematical operations.
5. Multiplying Exponential Expressions
There are certain rules that govern working with exponential expressions. This lesson deals with the rule for multiplying exponential expressions. It will describe the rule and give some examples of how it works.
6. Dividing Exponential Expressions
Any time you work with expressions that contain exponents, you have to follow a specific set of rules that are not the same as when you are working with expressions that do not contain exponents. This lesson will describe the rules associated with dividing terms that contain exponents.
7. The Power of Zero: Simplifying Exponential Expressions
Raising a number to the power of zero is not the same as if the exponent is a number other than zero. This lesson will explain the rule involving using zero as an exponent and will give some examples of how it works.
8. Negative Exponents: Writing Powers of Fractions and Decimals
Most numbers can be written in different ways, either as a fraction, decimal or exponent. This lesson will teach you how to write fractions and decimals using exponents and how to convert between the two.
9. Power of Powers: Simplifying Exponential Expressions
Mathematics is a very logical science. There is a rule for everything and not many exceptions to those rules. Working with exponents is no different. This lesson will describe the rule for raising a power to a power and also will give some examples in how to solve them.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the High School Algebra II: Tutoring Solution course
- Algebra II - Basic Arithmetic Review: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Algebraic Expressions and Equations Review: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Real Numbers: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Complex and Imaginary Numbers Review: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Properties of Functions Review: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Linear Equations Review: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Systems of Linear Equations: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Inequalities Review: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Matrices and Determinants: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Absolute Value Review: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Polynomials: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Factoring: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Graphing and Factoring Quadratic Equations Review: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Rational Expressions: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Graphing and Functions: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Roots and Radical Expressions Review: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Quadratic Equations: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Exponential and Logarithmic Functions: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Conic Sections: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Sequences and Series: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Sets: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Combinatorics: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Calculations, Ratios, Percent & Proportions Review: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Statistics: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Trigonometry: Tutoring Solution