About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other high school algebra II work.
- Identify the graphing and functions concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our high school algebra II tutoring solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn graphing and functions and earn better grades. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding compounding, inverse and polynomial functions, the natural log, slopes and tangents, point-slope formula, asymptotes or any other graphing and functions topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their math learning
- Prefer learning math visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their graphing and functions unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in high school algebra II
- Don't have access to their math teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning about graphing and functions simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live algebra II tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn about graphing and functions on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Learn how to graph basic functions.
- Graph the functions of functions.
- Define inverse functions and graph them.
- Describe the properties of polynomial functions.
- List the properties of exponentials.
- Understand the uses of logarithms and the natural log.
- Determine the slopes and tangents of a graph.
- Use the point-slope formula to determine the equation of a line.
- Identify the vertical and horizontal asymptotes of a graph.
- Describe the relationship between inverse and implicit functions.
1. Graphing Basic Functions
Graphs are just like maps - when you know the language! Review how locations have x and y coordinates similar to latitude and longitude, and how to plot points in the Cartesian plane.
2. Compounding Functions and Graphing Functions of Functions
We know that functions map numbers to other numbers, so what happens when you have a function of a function? Welcome to functions within functions, the realm of composite functions!
3. Understanding and Graphing the Inverse Function
If you use a function to map a to b, is there a way to go back from b to a again? Learn how to find and graph inverse functions so that you can turn a into b and back into a.
4. Polynomial Functions: Properties and Factoring
Everything from projectile motion to trigonometric functions can be described by polynomials. Review factoring, polynomials and quadratic functions in this lesson.
5. Polynomial Functions: Exponentials and Simplifying
How do we keep track of a rapidly multiplying population of bunnies? Well, those are simply powers of 2. Review powers and simplify problems with exponents in this lesson.
6. Exponentials, Logarithms & the Natural Log
Use the properties of exponentials and logarithms to learn how carbon dating works. This lesson covers properties of a natural log and rules of logarithms.
7. Slopes and Tangents on a Graph
Hit the slopes and learn how the steepness of a line is calculated. Calculate the slopes between points and draw the tangents of curves on graphs in this lesson.
8. Equation of a Line Using Point-Slope Formula
It's time for a road trip to Las Vegas, and after four hours of driving at 60 mph ... Are we there yet? Learn the point-slope form of the equation of a line to help answer this age-old question.
9. Horizontal and Vertical Asymptotes
No matter how hard you try to get to them, asymptotes remain out of reach. Learn about these invisible lines on graphs that show you places your equations just can't go.
10. Implicit Functions
Sometimes inputting a variable into a function 'black box' doesn't yield a simple output. Find out what happens when you can't isolate the dependent variable on one side of the equal sign.
11. Contingency Table: Statistics, Probability & Examples
In statistics, dealing with situations where there are more than one variable can be difficult. Contingency tables can provide a way to make sense of the data given. This lesson will describe contingency tables and give some examples of them.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the High School Algebra II: Tutoring Solution course
- Algebra II - Basic Arithmetic Review: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Algebraic Expressions and Equations Review: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Real Numbers: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Complex and Imaginary Numbers Review: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Exponents and Exponential Expressions Review: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Properties of Functions Review: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Linear Equations Review: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Systems of Linear Equations: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Inequalities Review: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Matrices and Determinants: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Absolute Value Review: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Polynomials: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Factoring: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Graphing and Factoring Quadratic Equations Review: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Rational Expressions: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Roots and Radical Expressions Review: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Quadratic Equations: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Exponential and Logarithmic Functions: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Conic Sections: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Sequences and Series: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Sets: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Combinatorics: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Calculations, Ratios, Percent & Proportions Review: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Statistics: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Trigonometry: Tutoring Solution