About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other high school algebra II work.
- Identify the polynomials concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our high school algebra II tutoring solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn polynomials and earn better grades. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding basic polynomial graphs, basic transformations, quartics and quintics, Pascal's Triangle, the binomial theorem or any other polynomials topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their math learning
- Prefer learning math visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their polynomials unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in high school algebra II
- Don't have access to their math teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning about polynomials simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live algebra II tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn about polynomials on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Evaluate polynomials in function notation.
- Graph polynomial functions.
- Perform basic transformations on polynomial graphs.
- Graph cubics, quatrics, quintics and more.
- Add, subtract and multiply polynomials.
- Understand how to use Pascal's triangle.
- Become familiar with the binomial expressions used in the binomial theorem.
- Divide polynomials using long division and synthetic division.
- Perform operations using polynomials in several variables.
1. How to Evaluate a Polynomial in Function Notation
This lesson will review how to evaluate polynomials in function notation. Along with an analogy to explain the process, examples will be given and worked during the lesson.
2. Understanding Basic Polynomial Graphs
This lesson will cover understanding basic polynomial graphs. The lesson focuses on how exponents and leading coefficients alter the behavior of the graphs.
3. Basic Transformations of Polynomial Graphs
The basic transformations for a graph are movement up and down, left and right, pinched or stretched graphs, and flipped graphs. This lesson will review how to accomplish each of these transformations.
4. How to Graph Cubics, Quartics, Quintics and Beyond
Finding the graph of a polynomial isn't too hard. If you can graph, you already know the major steps! With a couple rules and helpful memorizing tools, you will be graphing polynomials in no time!
5. How to Add, Subtract and Multiply Polynomials
Adding, subtracting and multiplying polynomials are, basically, the same as adding, subtracting and multiplying numbers. They only difference is that we have a pesky variable to worry about, but this video will show you that's no problem, so no worries! This method has worked for many of my students, and I think it will work for you, too!
6. Pascal's Triangle: Definition and Use with Polynomials
Pascal's Triangle is defined and discussed briefly. Following the introduction to the triangle, its use in expanding polynomial powers is elaborated with examples.
7. The Binomial Theorem: Defining Expressions
In this lesson, students will learn the binomial theorem and get practice using the theorem to expand binomial expressions. The theorem is broken down into its parts and then reconstructed.
8. How to Divide Polynomials with Long Division
Arithmetic long division and polynomial long division are very similar. Yes, it's a long process, but once you have the rhythm you will get every problem correct!
9. How to Use Synthetic Division to Divide Polynomials
Synthetic division is a 'short-cut' way of dividing a polynomial by a monomial. You still need to know long division, sorry, but this method is way fun when you're dividing by a monomial!
10. Dividing Polynomials with Long and Synthetic Division: Practice Problems
Let's look at some more polynomial division problems. We will use long division and synthetic division, but this time we will have a couple of more involved problems. So, get out some paper and a pencil and let's begin!
11. Operations with Polynomials in Several Variables
In this video lesson, you will learn how to handle and work with polynomials that have more than one variable. This is important because in math you sometimes have to work with several variables at the same time.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the High School Algebra II: Tutoring Solution course
- Algebra II - Basic Arithmetic Review: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Algebraic Expressions and Equations Review: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Real Numbers: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Complex and Imaginary Numbers Review: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Exponents and Exponential Expressions Review: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Properties of Functions Review: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Linear Equations Review: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Systems of Linear Equations: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Inequalities Review: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Matrices and Determinants: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Absolute Value Review: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Factoring: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Graphing and Factoring Quadratic Equations Review: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Rational Expressions: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Graphing and Functions: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Roots and Radical Expressions Review: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Quadratic Equations: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Exponential and Logarithmic Functions: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Conic Sections: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Sequences and Series: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Sets: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Combinatorics: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Calculations, Ratios, Percent & Proportions Review: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Statistics: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Trigonometry: Tutoring Solution