About This Chapter
Algebra II: Quadratic Equations - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
This chapter begins with an introduction to quadratic equations and an explanation of why these mathematical equations are relevant to algebra. You'll develop the skills to square up and solve several types of quadratics. Lessons also look at solving non-traditional and more complicated quadratics. After you finish this chapter, you should be able to understand the topics listed below:
- Quadratic formula
- Greatest common factor
- Multiplication property of zero
- Non-standard quadratics
- Quadratic inequalities
|What Is a Quadratic Equation? - Definition and Examples||Provide a definition of quadratic equations and how they relate to algebra and real-life situations.|
|How to Square up Quadratics||Show how and why quadratic equations often result in two different solutions by squaring up quadratics.|
|Solving Quadratics: Assigning the Greatest Common Factor and Multiplication Property of Zero||Understand how to assign a greatest common factor and use the multiplication property of zero to solve quadratic equations.|
|How to Use the Quadratic Formula to Solve a Quadratic Equation||Apply the quadratic formula to answer quadratic equation problems.|
|How to Solve Quadratics That Are Not in Standard Form||Know how to solve quadratics that are not written in the standard mathematical form.|
|Solving Quadratic Inequalities Using Two Binomials||Learn how to solve quadratic inequalities by factoring the problem into two binomials.|
1. What is a Quadratic Equation? - Definition & Examples
You might be surprised to learn that quadratic equations are an important part of the world we live in. We sometimes even make use of them for our entertainment! Watch this video lesson to learn more about these equations.
2. Solving Quadratics: Assigning the Greatest Common Factor and Multiplication Property of Zero
When it comes to solving quadratics, we have at our disposal several methods. Watch this video lesson to learn one such method you can use to solve quadratics that don't have a constant term.
3. How to Use the Quadratic Formula to Solve a Quadratic Equation
When solving a quadratic equation by factoring doesn't work, the quadratic formula is here to save the day. Learn what it is and how to use it in this lesson.
4. How to Solve Quadratics That Are Not in Standard Form
It isn't always the case that your equation will be set up nicely for you to solve. In this lesson, learn how to factor or use the quadratic formula to solve quadratic equations, even when they are not in standard form.
5. Solving Quadratic Inequalities Using Two Binomials
Watch this video lesson to learn what simple steps you can take to solve quadratic inequalities using two binomials. See how it only requires a few steps to solve quadratic inequalities using this method.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Algebra II: High School course
- Algebra II: Real Numbers
- Algebra II: Complex and Imaginary Numbers Review
- Algebra II: Exponents and Exponential Expressions Review
- Algebra II: Properties of Functions Review
- Algebra II: Linear Equations Review
- Algebra II: Systems of Linear Equations
- Algebra II: Inequalities Review
- Algebra II: Absolute Value Review
- Algebra II: Graphing and Factoring Quadratic Equations Review
- Algebra II: Factoring
- Algebra II: Polynomials
- Algebra II: Rational Expressions
- Algebra II: Graphing and Functions
- Algebra II: Conic Sections
- Algebra II: Roots and Radical Expressions Review
- Algebra II: Exponential and Logarithmic Functions
- Algebra II: Sequences & Series
- Algebra II: Combinatorics
- Algebra II: Calculations, Ratios, Percent & Proportions Review
- Algebra II: Statistics
- Algebra II: Trigonometry
- Teacher Resources for High School Algebra II