About This Chapter
Who's it for?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering high school algebra material will benefit from taking this course. There is no faster or easier way to learn high school algebra. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding how to find the square root of a number or working with factoring radical expressions
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning math (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about roots and radical expressions
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra math learning resources
How it works:
- Find videos in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Algebra II: Roots and Radical Expressions Review chapter exam.
Why it works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Algebra II: Roots and Radical Expressions Review chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any roots and radical expressions question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students will review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts in an Algebra II: Roots and Radical Expressions Review unit of a standard high school algebra II course. Topics covered include:
- Estimating square roots
- Simplifying expressions containing square roots
- Radicands and radical expressions
- Factoring radical expressions
- Solving radical equations
1. How to Find the Square Root of a Number
What is a square root? In this lesson, we'll learn what a square root is and how to find it. We'll review a variety of examples in order to master the concept.
2. Estimating Square Roots
Inverse operations are mathematical operations that undo each other. The square root is the inverse of the squared (or multiplying a number by itself) operation. There is an easy method for estimating the square root of a number, which you will learn in this lesson.
3. Simplifying Square Roots When not a Perfect Square
Numbers that are imperfect squares are those that, when evaluated, do not give solutions that are integers. The proper mathematical way to simplify these imperfect squares is discussed in this lesson.
4. Simplifying Expressions Containing Square Roots
In order to write radical expressions correctly, they have to be written in their simplest form. This lesson will show you how to simplify expressions containing numbers and variables inside a square root.
5. Radicands and Radical Expressions
It's easy to see that funky radical symbol and panic just a little bit. There are so many rules that go along with it, it's hard to keep up with them all. This lesson will help by describing what you should do when you are faced with a square root.
6. Evaluating Square Roots of Perfect Squares
Squares and square roots are inverse, or opposite, operations involving radicals. Learn how to determine the square root of perfect squares in this lesson.
7. Factoring Radical Expressions
Watch this video lesson to learn how to apply the product rule to your radical expressions. Learn how this product rule actually helps you to simplify your radicals as well.
8. Simplifying Square Roots of Powers in Radical Expressions
Simplifying radical expressions that contain powers can be tricky. There are a few simple rules that will help you perform these simplifications with ease. This lesson will teach you how.
9. Multiplying then Simplifying Radical Expressions
Multiplying 2 or more radical expressions uses the same principles as multiplying polynomials, with a few extra rules for dealing with the radicals. This lesson will teach you how to multiply and then simplify radical expressions.
10. Dividing Radical Expressions
When dividing radical expressions, we use the quotient rule. This lesson will describe the quotient rule and how to use it to solve these radical expressions.
11. Simplify Square Roots of Quotients
The quotient rule can be used to simplify square roots of quotients. This lesson will define the quotient rule and show you how it is used to simplify square roots.
12. Rationalizing Denominators in Radical Expressions
Radical expressions containing denominators are not simplified completely unless the denominator is free of radical symbols. This lesson will teach you how to remove a radical from the denominator of a fraction through a process called rationalizing the denominator.
13. Addition and Subtraction Using Radical Notation
There are specific rules governing adding and subtracting radical expressions. This lesson will describe these rules and give examples of how they are used.
14. Multiplying Radical Expressions with Two or More Terms
Multiplying radical expressions with more than two terms can be confusing. This lesson will take some of the confusion away by giving clear steps for multiplying these expressions. It will also provide some examples to help solidify the steps.
15. Solving Radical Equations: Steps and Examples
Solving radical equations is not any more difficult than solving other algebraic equations. This lesson will show you how to solve equations containing a square root and give some real-world examples.
16. Solving Radical Equations with Two Radical Terms
Solving equations with two radical terms takes some patience and care, but it really is not difficult. This lesson will show you the steps to solve these more complicated equations plus give you some examples to follow.
17. Cube Root: Definition, Formula & Examples
In this lesson, we're going to discover the world of cube roots! By the time we're done, you should be able to define what a cube root is, explain how to solve for the cube root of a number, and be familiar with several common cube roots.
18. Radicand: Definition & Concept
A radicand is the number under a radical symbol (√). This lesson will describe the radicand in more detail and give some examples of problems involving radicands.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the High School Algebra II: Help and Review course
- Algebra II - Basic Arithmetic Review: Help and Review
- Algebra II - Algebraic Expressions: Help & Review
- Algebra II - Real Numbers: Help and Review
- Algebra II - Complex and Imaginary Numbers Review: Help and Review
- Exponents & Exponential Expressions in Algebra: Help & Review
- Algebra II - Properties of Functions Review: Help and Review
- Algebra II - Linear Equations Review: Help and Review
- Algebra II - Systems of Linear Equations: Help and Review
- Algebra II - Inequalities Review: Help and Review
- Algebra II - Matrices and Determinants: Help and Review
- Algebra II - Absolute Value Review: Help and Review
- Algebra II - Polynomials: Help and Review
- Algebra II - Factoring: Help and Review
- Algebra II Quadratic Equations: Help and Review
- Algebra II - Rational Expressions: Help and Review
- Algebra II - Graphing and Functions: Help and Review
- Algebra II - Quadratic Equations: Help and Review
- Algebra II - Exponential and Logarithmic Functions: Help and Review
- Algebra II - Conic Sections: Help and Review
- Algebra II - Sequences and Series: Help and Review
- Algebra II - Sets: Help and Review
- Algebra II - Combinatorics: Help and Review
- Algebra II Ratios & Proportions: Help & Review
- Algebra II - Statistics: Help and Review
- Algebra II - Trigonometry: Help and Review