About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other high school algebra II work.
- Identify the sequences and series concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our high school algebra II tutoring solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn sequences and series and earn better grades. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding finite and infinite sequences, factorial notation, summation notation, geometric sequences, arithmetic series, recursive rules, mathematical induction or any other sequences and series topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their math learning
- Prefer learning math visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their sequences and series unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in high school algebra II
- Don't have access to their math teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning about sequences and series simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live algebra II tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn about sequences and series on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Provide examples of finite and infinite series.
- Explain the process of using factorial notation.
- Understand when it is appropriate to use summation notation.
- Define arithmetic sequences.
- Learn how to use the formula for the general term of an arithmetic sequence.
- Find the sum of the first n terms of an arithmetic sequence.
- Provide examples of arithmetic series in algebra.
- Define geometric sequences.
- Explain the purpose of using the general term of a geometric sequence.
- Learn how to find the sum of the first n terms of a geometric sequence.
- Describe the uses of the formula for finding the sum of an infinite geometric series.
- Understand how to use recursion formulas.
- Use sigma notation to represent the sum of a series.
- Know when and how to use mathematical induction.
- Determine the value of an annuity.
- Expand a binomial using the binomial theorem.
- List some special sequences and understand how they are generated.
1. Introduction to Sequences: Finite and Infinite
In this video lesson, we will learn about the many patterns that are possible in sequences. See how some sequences stop after a while and how some sequences never stop.
2. How to Use Factorial Notation: Process and Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn about factorial notation. Understand what it means so that you can handle it like a pro. Also see what happens when we divide factorials.
3. How to Use Series and Summation Notation: Process and Examples
Have you ever seen a sideways M on a math test and wondered what it meant? In this video lesson, learn about the notation that we use to show that we want to sum something up. Learn how to use it and see some examples of it in use.
4. Arithmetic Sequences: Definition & Finding the Common Difference
Watch this video lesson to learn the pattern that defines an arithmetic sequence. Learn how to identify arithmetic sequences as well as find the pattern easily. You will also learn the formula you can use to write any number in your sequence.
5. How and Why to Use the General Term of an Arithmetic Sequence
Watch this video lesson to learn the formula for the general term of an arithmetic sequence. Also learn why this formula makes working with an arithmetic sequence much easier.
6. The Sum of the First n Terms of an Arithmetic Sequence
In this video lesson, you will learn an easy to use formula for summing an arithmetic sequence. Watch as we use the formula in action and then get a chance to use it yourself as you follow along.
7. Understanding Arithmetic Series in Algebra
In this video lesson, we will learn about arithmetic series and how they work. Learn also how to find the pattern of an arithmetic sequence along with finding the sum.
8. Working with Geometric Sequences
In this video lesson, we'll learn how to recognize when a sequence of numbers is a geometric sequence, how to find the common ratio and how to expand a sequence to as many numbers as we want!
9. How and Why to Use the General Term of a Geometric Sequence
Watch this video lesson to learn the formula for the general term of a geometric sequence. You will learn how to write your own general term given a particular geometric sequence as well as the reason for doing this.
10. The Sum of the First n Terms of a Geometric Sequence
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can find the total of a geometric sequence up to a certain point. Learn the formula that you can use to help you find your answer.
11. Understand the Formula for Infinite Geometric Series
Watch this video lesson to learn how to calculate the sum of an infinite geometric series. Learn about the interesting thing that happens when your common ratio is less than one.
12. Using Recursive Rules for Arithmetic, Algebraic & Geometric Sequences
When dealing with sequences in math, both algebraic and geometric, we come across recursive rules. Watch this video lesson to learn how recursion works and how you can use a recursive rule to get to your next number using a previous number.
13. Using Sigma Notation for the Sum of a Series
In math, we have a notation for a lot of things. When you need to sum up a series, we also have a notation for that. You will learn about this notation, called Sigma notation, in this video lesson.
14. Mathematical Induction: Uses & Proofs
Watch this video lesson to learn about mathematical induction and how you can use it to prove mathematical statements. See how it is similar to falling dominoes.
15. How to Find the Value of an Annuity
Want to see how much money you will have in the future if you make a set payment every month towards your annuity? Then watch this video lesson for the formula and how to use it.
16. How to Use the Binomial Theorem to Expand a Binomial
In this video lesson, you will see what the binomial theorem has in common with Pascal's triangle. Learn how you can use Pascal's triangle to help you to easily expand a binomial.
17. Special Sequences and How They Are Generated
Sequences are interesting things in math and in nature. The most interesting thing is that these sequences have a pattern to how they are generated. We will learn about a few of them in this video lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the High School Algebra II: Tutoring Solution course
- Algebra II - Basic Arithmetic Review: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Algebraic Expressions and Equations Review: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Real Numbers: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Complex and Imaginary Numbers Review: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Exponents and Exponential Expressions Review: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Properties of Functions Review: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Linear Equations Review: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Systems of Linear Equations: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Inequalities Review: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Matrices and Determinants: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Absolute Value Review: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Polynomials: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Factoring: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Graphing and Factoring Quadratic Equations Review: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Rational Expressions: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Graphing and Functions: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Roots and Radical Expressions Review: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Quadratic Equations: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Exponential and Logarithmic Functions: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Conic Sections: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Sets: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Combinatorics: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Calculations, Ratios, Percent & Proportions Review: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Statistics: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra II - Trigonometry: Tutoring Solution