About This Chapter
Algebra Lesson Plans - Chapter Summary
Our instructors created this chapter as a way for teachers to enhance their ability to develop effective algebra lesson plans. When you finish this chapter, you will be familiar with lesson material and have an arsenal of lesson planning resources for:
- Absolute value
- Definition and examples of slope-intercept form
- Definition and simplifying of combining like terms
- Use of subtraction, addition, division and multiplication in solving inequalities
Use the information we present here to lead class discussions on algebra topics and plan group activities that can help your class better understand these concepts.
How It Helps
- Take less time to prepare lesson plans: Use the resources in this chapter to quickly select the lesson topics you want to present.
- Improves lesson plan content: See examples and sample lesson plans on algebra topics like absolute values and solving inequalities.
- Get students more involved: Take advantage of activity suggestions to increase students' interest in learning the subject matter.
How It Works
This helpful resource offers teachers lesson plan outlines with relevant tools to make planning algebra lessons easy.
- Find lesson plans for specific algebra topics you want to cover in class.
- Formulate your algebra class outline using the suggested classroom tools offered in the lesson plans.
- Share the related algebra lessons for each lesson plan with students in class to make learning fun and engaging.
- Use related lesson quizzes to ensure your students understand the most important algebra concepts from the lessons.
- Engage your students with relevant algebra-related activities, discussion questions or other materials found in the lesson plan outline.
1. Algebra Essential Questions
Essential questions can help keep students and teachers alike focused on what's really important. Here are some possible essential questions for an algebra class.
2. Absolute Value Lesson Plan
Teaching absolute value in mathematics can be tricky, so use this lesson plan to solidify concepts. An video guides students through the concepts and shows how to notate and solve problems with absolute zero. Practice activity is included.
3. What is an Absolute Value?
When we're talking and comparing numbers, we often don't care whether its positive or negative, just how big it is. This is often called the magnitude of a number and we find it by taking the absolute value. Learn all about it here!
4. Combining Like Terms Lesson Plan
A solid understanding of combining like terms is essential for math students. A video lesson walks students through the basics and a worksheet allows ample practice. Related lessons and additional activities are included for further study.
5. Combining Like Terms: Definition, Simplifying & Practice
Combining like terms is a mathematical process used to simplify an expression or to add or subtract polynomials. Learn how to recognize like terms and combine them in this lesson, then check your knowledge with a quiz.
6. Distributive Property: Definition, Use & Examples
After completing this lesson, you will be able to state the distributive property and apply it to various types of problems. You will also be able to accurately perform the mathematical operations that are involved with the distributive property.
7. Arithmetic Sequence Lesson Plan
Working on arithmetic sequences? Use this video-based lesson plan to teach the formula an arithmetic sequence. Students then learn reasons the formula makes working with an arithmetic sequence easier. Apply concepts during and after the lesson.
8. How and Why to Use the General Term of an Arithmetic Sequence
Watch this video lesson to learn the formula for the general term of an arithmetic sequence. Also learn why this formula makes working with an arithmetic sequence much easier.
9. Algebra Activities with Tiles
Are your students not understanding the concepts in your algebra classes? Algebra tiles are a fantastic tool to help you reach multiple learning modalities in your lessons. This lesson describes how you can make algebra tiles and provides several activities to get you started.
10. Algebra 1 Projects
Mathematics is important in every facet of life, so it makes sense to teach and reinforce it through projects. Here are several ideas for projects appropriate for Algebra 1 students.
11. Algebra 2 Projects
If you are a high school math teacher looking to make your instruction more interesting, projects might be the answer. This lesson offers ideas for projects to incorporate into algebra 2 courses.
12. Math Drills for Algebra
Math drills are a great way to give your students consistent algebra practice that doesn't feel quite so repetitive. There are many options for math drills; check out some of these ideas.
13. Word Problem Lesson Plan
How can the process of solving word problems in math be simplified? This lesson plan features an informative video lesson to do just that while an activity gives students a chance to practice what they learned.
14. Solving Word Problems: Steps & Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can solve word problems by following this 3-step process. Learn how to visualize your problem so you fully understand it. Then learn how to write and solve your equations.
15. Constant Term Lesson Plan
Help your students learn about constants, variables and how to turn variables into constants with this lesson plan which includes a text lesson, discussion questions and a fun classroom activity to reinforce the concept.
16. What is a Constant Term in Math?
Read this lesson to learn all about constants and how you can easily locate them in formulas and in math problems. Learn how constants behave and how even some letters that look like variables can be constants.
17. Associative Properties Lesson Plan
With this lesson plan, students will watch a video lesson that defines and explains the associative and commutative properties. They will then participate in a fun practice game as well as a small group activity. An exit quiz will check understanding.
18. The Commutative and Associative Properties and Algebraic Expressions
The order of operations is important and useful, but a few mathematical properties highlight cases where order doesn't matter. In this lesson, we'll learn about the commutative and associative properties, which may save you time and effort.
19. Synthetic Division Lesson Plan
Use this lesson plan to teach your students about synthetic division. A video lesson guides students through the definition and steps to perform synthetic division, using plenty of examples to make sure they're getting it. Fun guided and independent practice make concepts stick, and a quiz tests understanding.
20. Synthetic Division: Definition, Steps & Examples
This lesson is about synthetic division. Synthetic division helps us work out polynomial division when the divisor is simple. It also is a great shortcut to finding roots of polynomials.
21. Geometric Sequence Lesson Plan
This lesson plan introduces geometric sequences by comparing it with previous work, the arithmetic sequence. Students will compare patterns of arithmetic and geometric sequences, and then use the geometric sequence formula to solve practice problems.
22. Geometric Sequence: Formula & Examples
After completing this lesson, you will be able to recognize a geometric sequence. You will also be able to use the general formula for finding a term in a geometric sequence and will be able to write a custom formula for a given geometric sequence.
23. Rate of Change Activities
Rate of change is usually understood as the change in one quantity in relation to the change in another quantity. This lesson offers activities that help your students make sense of rate of change.
24. Modular Arithmetic Lesson Plan
Modular numbers are simply numbers following a different pattern than the typical 0 to 9 we know well. This lesson plan guides you through teaching modular arithmetic to students using discussion, examples, and activities.
25. Algebraic Distribution Activities for High School
When students learn algebraic distribution they can solve complex algebraic problems involving multiple variables. These activities will help students use the distributive property, combine like terms, and solve real-world problems.
26. Solving Word Problems: Teaching Strategies for High School
Word problems can sometimes be intimidating to students. In this lesson, we will discuss strategies to make solving word problems more manageable for those students who may struggle with them.
27. Fundamental Counting Principle Lesson Plan
As students study probability, consider using this lesson to help them understand the fundamental counting principle. Students will visit different centers to apply the fundamental counting principle in the context of real-world scenarios.
28. Rational Roots Theorem Lesson Plan
In this lesson, students will learn the Rational Roots Theorem method for generating a list of possible solutions to a polynomial. They will apply their understanding to create an infographic with a description, example, and history of the Theorem.
29. Sequences & Series Activities for High School Math
Teaching sequences and series, how to understand them, and why they matter is an important part of high school math. This lesson offers activities that will help your students better comprehend sequences and series.
30. Logic Activities for High School Math
As you teach geometry and algebra at the high school level, logic is part of what you will be working on with your students. This lesson offers activities that make logic accessible to high school mathematicians.
31. Sets Activities for High School Math
This lesson offers engaging activities to keep your students interested in practicing concepts related to mathematical sets. Active, group, and independent activities are included.
32. Higher-order Determinants Lesson Plan
Educate your students on higher-order determinants with this helpful lesson plan. They will watch a video lesson, take part in a hands-on activity, and take a related lesson quiz on higher-order determinants.
33. Solving Word Problems with Multiple Steps Lesson Plan
This lesson plan will help your students learn how to solve word problems with several steps. Students will watch a video lesson and work with their peers to solve word problems and justify their answers.
34. Solving Word Problems with Multiple Steps
Not all word problems are so straightforward that they only require you to do one operation and you're done. Some are more complicated, requiring several steps. Watch this video lesson to learn how to solve these kinds of problems.
35. Distributive Property Lesson Plan
Use Study.com's video lesson on the distributive property to introduce the concept and lead an interactive discussion on the topic. By the end of the lesson, students should now how this basic mathematical concept can help them with money management.
36. Solving Equations Project Ideas
Solving equations involves finding the value of all missing information in an algebraic expression. These projects check students' conceptual understanding of solving equations through multiple representations.
37. Quadratic Equation Project Ideas
Quadratic equations are used in every day life to calculate area, profit, speed, and many other things. This asset contains some projects that help students identify the relevance of understanding quadratic equations.
38. Linear Function Project Ideas
Are you finishing a unit on linear functions? The projects offered here are great for allowing your students to showcase all they have learned about linear functions in a fun and engaging way. Both independent and collaborative projects are included.
39. Logarithm Project Ideas
Logarithms are a way of working with exponential data in science, technology, and finance. These projects explore logarithms and a few of their real-world applications.
40. Introduction to Linear Functions Lesson Plan
Teachers, use this lesson plan to introduce, or reactivate prior learning of, linear functions. Students will watch a video, answer discussion questions, calculate and graph linear functions and play a game to demonstrate understanding.
41. Simplifying Radical Expressions Lesson Plan
Teachers, use this engaging lesson plan to introduce simplifying radicals. Students will read a lesson, answer discussion questions and calculate examples, then play a game to demonstrate learning.
42. Simplifying Rational Expressions Lesson Plan
There are many ways to simplify rational expressions. This lesson plan guides teachers through instructing students on simplifying rational expressions by using factoring. Class discussion, engaging activities, and paper-based assessment are offered.
43. Pythagorean Theorem Project Ideas
Does the phrase Pythagorean theorem strike fear into the hearts of your students? The projects offered here will help your students lose that fear through familiarity. The projects can be completed independently or collaboratively.
44. Conic Sections Project Ideas
Conic sections are the geometric shapes that can be derived by slicing a cone. The projects in this asset may be used in high school geometry classes to further learning about conic sections.
45. Functions Unit Plan
Functions are the relationships between two sets of numbers. This asset provides algebra teachers with a guide for planning an instructional unit about functions.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Algebra Lesson Plans & Activities course
- Order of Operations Lesson Plans & Games
- Function Properties Lesson Plans & Activities
- Polynomials & Quadratics Lesson Plans
- Equations & Inequalities in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Proportions & Ratios in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Squares & Square Roots in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Exponents & Logarithms Lesson Plans