About This Chapter
Algebraic Concepts of Groups & Sets - Chapter Summary
Our informative lessons outline the algebraic concepts of groups and sets. You'll review the definition of groups and sets and, specifically, how they're used in algebra. After completing this chapter, you should be ready to:
- Give an overview of groups and sets in algebra
- Explain what algebraic power sets are
- Use set builder notation to write sets
When you use our learning materials to study, you can have confidence knowing you're reviewing the most accurate information provided in an easy-to-follow way. Between the informative and easy-to-navigate video lessons, the printable lesson transcripts and the multiple-choice quizzes, you have a variety of tools to use to catch up in class or finish your homework.
1. Introduction to Groups and Sets in Algebra
As an introduction to the algebraic concepts of sets and groups, this lesson covers the difference between the two concepts and how to determine if a set is a group. To complete this lesson, we'll take a look at some practice examples.
2. Recognizing Power Sets in Algebra
This lesson will give students a very brief introduction to sets and subsets as a lead into how to determine if a set is actually a power set. Through the use of examples and trials, students will learn to identify true power sets.
3. How to Write Sets Using Set Builder Notation
Set builder notation allows the user to indicate specific items that are to be included within a set. In this lesson, we will learn how to write sets using set builder notation.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Contemporary Math: Help and Review course
- Mathematical Reasoning & Problem-Solving: Help and Review
- How to Solve Word Problems: Help and Review
- Statistics Overview: Help and Review
- Probability Overview: Help and Review
- Understanding Discrete Probability Distributions: Help and Review
- The Normal Curve & Continuous Probability Distributions: Help and Review
- The Mathematics of Voting: Help and Review
- The Mathematics of Apportionment: Help and Review
- Graph Theory: Help and Review
- Operations with Basic Algebraic Expressions
- Conics in Algebra
- Notation, Sequences & Series
- Matrices and Determinants in Algebra
- Fractions, Decimals & Mixed Numbers
- Approaches to Math Word Problems
- Performing Basic Arithmetic
- Operations with Monomials and Polynomials
- Number Line & the Coordinate Graph