About This Chapter
Who's it for?
This unit of our High School Algebra I Homeschool course will benefit any student who is trying to learn about algebraic distribution. There is no faster or easier way to learn about algebra. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who require an efficient, self-paced course of study to learn to distribute negative and positive signs.
- Homeschool parents looking to spend less time preparing lessons and more time teaching.
- Homeschool parents who need an algebra curriculum that appeals to multiple learning types (visual or auditory).
- Gifted students and students with learning differences.
How it works:
- Students watch a short, fun video lesson that covers a specific unit topic.
- Students and parents can refer to the video transcripts to reinforce learning.
- Short quizzes and an algebraic distribution unit exam confirm understanding or identify any topics that require review.
Algebraic Distribution Unit Objectives:
- Learn how to add exponents when multiplying factors.
- Discover how to distribute algebraic expressions with variables and numbers.
- Learn about the distribution of more than one term.
- Give an example of changing a negative exponent to a fraction.
- Discover how to work with fractional powers.
- Add exponents when multiplying factors.
1. Why Do We Distribute in Algebra? - Explanation & Examples
What's the purpose of distribution in algebra? In this lesson, we'll find out why we distribute. We'll also look at examples and sample problems that involve basic distribution.
2. Distributing First vs. Adding First: Differences & Examples
When we need to simplify an expression, how do we know if we should distribute first or add first? In this lesson, we'll look at when this matters and how to make the best decision.
3. Distributing Positive and Negative Signs
It's not just numbers and variables that get distributed. Positive and negative signs can, too. In this lesson, we'll learn how to distribute positive and negative signs correctly.
4. Distributing Algebraic Expressions with Numbers and Variables
So, you can simplify an algebraic expression when you need to distribute a number? Great! But what if you need to distribute a variable or a variable with an exponent? Learn how in this lesson.
5. Changing Negative Exponents to Fractions
A negative exponent isn't like a normal exponent. In this lesson, we'll learn about negative exponents and how they lead us to fractions. We'll practice with numbers and variables.
6. Working With Fractional Powers
If you know what to do with 3 to the second power, then you understand exponents. But what if the exponent is a fraction? Find out what to do with fractional powers in this lesson.
7. Distribution of More Than One Term in Algebra
Once we've mastered distributing a single term, it's time to raise the stakes. In this lesson, we'll learn how about distribution involving two, three and even more terms.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the High School Algebra I: Homeschool Curriculum course
- Basic Arithmetic Review: Homeschool Curriculum
- Solving Math Word Problems: Homeschool Curriculum
- Decimals & Fractions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Percent Notation: Homeschool Curriculum
- Working with Real Numbers: Homeschool Curriculum
- Exponents & Exponential Expressions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Simplifying Square Roots: Homeschool Curriculum
- Algebraic Expressions & Equations: Homeschool Curriculum
- Composing Functions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Matrices & Absolute Value: Homeschool Curriculum
- Working With Inequalities: Homeschool Curriculum
- Properties of Exponents: Homeschool Curriculum
- Imaginary Numbers: Homeschool Curriculum
- Writing Linear Equations: Homeschool Curriculum
- Factoring in Algebra: Homeschool Curriculum
- Graphing & Factoring Quadratic Equations: Homeschool Curriculum
- Properties of Polynomial Functions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Rational Expressions & Equations: Homeschool Curriculum
- Cubic Equations: Homeschool Curriculum
- Solving Quadratics: Homeschool Curriculum
- Measurement & Geometry: Homeschool Curriculum
- Percent & Proportions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Data, Statistics & Probability: Homeschool Curriculum
- Well-Known Equations: Homeschool Curriculum