About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the Algebraic Distribution chapter into a 5-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday||Purpose of distribution; comparison of distributing first and adding first||Distributive property, constant and variables|
|Tuesday||Distribution of negative and positive signs||Distributive property, positive signs and negative signs|
|Wednesday||Distribution of algebraic expressions with variables and numbers||Distributive property and distribution of exponents|
|Thursday||Conversion of negative exponents to fractions||Exponent, negative exponents, inverse of a number and denominator|
|Friday||Fractional powers and distribution of more than one term||Distributive property, multiplication, fractional exponents and terms|
1. Why Do We Distribute in Algebra? - Explanation & Examples
What's the purpose of distribution in algebra? In this lesson, we'll find out why we distribute. We'll also look at examples and sample problems that involve basic distribution.
2. Distributing First vs. Adding First: Differences & Examples
When we need to simplify an expression, how do we know if we should distribute first or add first? In this lesson, we'll look at when this matters and how to make the best decision.
3. Distributing Positive and Negative Signs
It's not just numbers and variables that get distributed. Positive and negative signs can, too. In this lesson, we'll learn how to distribute positive and negative signs correctly.
4. Distributing Algebraic Expressions with Numbers and Variables
So, you can simplify an algebraic expression when you need to distribute a number? Great! But what if you need to distribute a variable or a variable with an exponent? Learn how in this lesson.
5. Changing Negative Exponents to Fractions
A negative exponent isn't like a normal exponent. In this lesson, we'll learn about negative exponents and how they lead us to fractions. We'll practice with numbers and variables.
6. Working With Fractional Powers
If you know what to do with 3 to the second power, then you understand exponents. But what if the exponent is a fraction? Find out what to do with fractional powers in this lesson.
7. Distribution of More Than One Term in Algebra
Once we've mastered distributing a single term, it's time to raise the stakes. In this lesson, we'll learn how about distribution involving two, three and even more terms.
8. Distributive Property: Definition, Use & Examples
After completing this lesson, you will be able to state the distributive property and apply it to various types of problems. You will also be able to accurately perform the mathematical operations that are involved with the distributive property.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Algebra I Curriculum Resource & Lesson Plans course
- Basic Arithmetic in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Decimals & Fractions in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Percent Notation in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Real Numbers in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Exponents & Exponential Expressions in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Radical Expressions in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Algebraic Expressions & Equations Lesson Plans
- Properties of Functions in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Matrices & Absolute Value in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Working with Inequalities in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Properties of Exponents in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Complex & Imaginary Numbers in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Linear Equations in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Factoring in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Quadratic Equations in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Polynomial Functions in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Rational Expressions in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Cubic Equations in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Measurement & Geometry in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Lesson Plans for Calculations, Ratios, Percent & Proportions
- Data, Statistics, & Probability Lesson Plans
- Well-Known Equations in Algebra Lesson Plans