About This Chapter
Algebraic Distribution - Chapter Summary
Learn how to distribute terms and simplify equations with the video lessons and quizzes included in this chapter. Our instructors can help get you ready for algebra questions on the math portion of the GED exam with lessons on:
- Distributing signs
- Distributing expressions with numbers and variables
- Changing negative exponents to fractions
- Working with fractional powers
- Distribution of more than one term
Our chapter on algebraic distribution can be used to affirm your mastery of this subject or brush up on areas requiring more practice, whether it be multiplying fractions with exponents or distributing terms over polynomials. Instructors teaching the video lessons make the material accessible and entertaining. You can also read the transcripts for access to supplementary text lessons on key terms and take multiple-choice quizzes to get extra practice solving algebraic expressions.
Algebraic Distribution - Chapter Objective
Use this chapter's lessons and quizzes on algebraic distribution to study for the GED exam's math portion. This part of the test lasts 115 minutes and includes 46 questions. Just over half of them will assess your algebraic problem-solving skills through a series of multiple-choice, hot spot, matching and fill-in-the-blank question formats.
Success on this part of the exam along with passing scores on the English, social studies and science portions will earn you a high school equivalency diploma that can be used to meet an employer's education requirements or gain entry into a postsecondary training program.
1. Why Do We Distribute in Algebra? - Explanation & Examples
What's the purpose of distribution in algebra? In this lesson, we'll find out why we distribute. We'll also look at examples and sample problems that involve basic distribution.
2. Distributing First vs. Adding First: Differences & Examples
When we need to simplify an expression, how do we know if we should distribute first or add first? In this lesson, we'll look at when this matters and how to make the best decision.
3. Distributing Positive and Negative Signs
It's not just numbers and variables that get distributed. Positive and negative signs can, too. In this lesson, we'll learn how to distribute positive and negative signs correctly.
4. Distributing Algebraic Expressions with Numbers and Variables
So, you can simplify an algebraic expression when you need to distribute a number? Great! But what if you need to distribute a variable or a variable with an exponent? Learn how in this lesson.
5. Changing Negative Exponents to Fractions
A negative exponent isn't like a normal exponent. In this lesson, we'll learn about negative exponents and how they lead us to fractions. We'll practice with numbers and variables.
6. Working With Fractional Powers
If you know what to do with 3 to the second power, then you understand exponents. But what if the exponent is a fraction? Find out what to do with fractional powers in this lesson.
7. Distribution of More Than One Term in Algebra
Once we've mastered distributing a single term, it's time to raise the stakes. In this lesson, we'll learn how about distribution involving two, three and even more terms.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the STAAR Algebra I: Test Prep & Practice course
- Working with Polynomials
- Arithmetic & Geometric Sequences
- Understanding Square Roots
- Exponential Expression Math
- Basics of Solving Word Problems
- Understanding Coordinate Graphs
- Understanding Linear Equations
- The Basics of Functions
- Graphing Linear Functions & Equations
- Exponential Functions
- Calculating & Graphing Inequalities
- Overview of Algebraic Expressions
- Overview of Algebraic Equations
- Solving Quadratic Equations
- Using a Graphing Calculator
- About the STARR Tests
- STAAR Algebra I Flashcards