About This Chapter
Who's it for?
This unit of our High School Algebra I Homeschool course will benefit any student who is trying to learn about algebraic expressions and equations. There is no faster or easier way to learn about algebra. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who require an efficient, self-paced course of study to learn to simplify algebraic expressions by combining like terms.
- Homeschool parents looking to spend less time preparing lessons and more time teaching.
- Homeschool parents who need an algebra curriculum that appeals to multiple learning types (visual or auditory).
- Gifted students and students with learning differences.
How it works:
- Students watch a short, fun video lesson that covers a specific unit topic.
- Students and parents can refer to the video transcripts to reinforce learning.
- Short quizzes and an algebraic expressions and equations unit exam confirm understanding or identify any topics that require review.
Algebraic Expressions and Equations Unit Objectives:
- Define an algebraic expression.
- Explain how to evaluate an algebraic expression.
- Learn to write equations with inequalities.
- Solve equations that include parentheses.
- Explain the difference between common algebraic equations.
- Define and translate one-step equations.
- Solve equations with the multiplication principle.
1. What is the Correct Setup to Solve Math Problems?: Writing Arithmetic Expressions
When it comes to solving math word problems, there is a correct way of setting up the problem and labeling the various parts of the problem so that you can solve the problem easily. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can do it.
2. Understanding and Evaluating Math Formulas
With all the formulas out there, how do you know which one to pick? And how do you read formulas anyways? Watch this video lesson and you will find the answers to these questions.
3. Expressing Relationships as Algebraic Expressions
What do you do when you don't know what a number is but you do know how it relates to something else? You use an algebraic expression. In this lesson, we'll learn how to express relationships as algebraic expressions.
4. Evaluating Simple Algebraic Expressions
In this lesson, we'll learn how to evaluate algebraic expressions, which involves substituting numbers for variables and following the order of operations. By the end of the lesson, you'll be an algebraic expression expert.
5. Combining Like Terms in Algebraic Expressions
When you have an algebraic expression that's much too long, it would be great if you could simplify it. That's when knowing how to combine like terms comes in. In this lesson, we'll learn the process of combining like terms and practice simplifying expressions.
6. Practice Simplifying Algebraic Expressions
In this lesson, we'll practice simplifying a variety of algebraic expressions. We'll use two key concepts, combining like terms and the distributive property, to help us simplify.
7. Negative Signs and Simplifying Algebraic Expressions
Don't let negative signs get you down. In this lesson, we'll stay positive as we practice simplifying algebraic expressions that have those tricky negative signs.
8. Writing Equations with Inequalities: Open Sentences and True/False Statements
After watching this video lesson you will be able to write open sentences and true or false statements that use inequalities. You will also be able to solve and/or determine whether a particular inequality is true or false.
9. Common Algebraic Equations: Linear, Quadratic, Polynomial, and More
Watch this video lesson to see the kinds of equations that you will come across most often in algebra. Learn to distinguish them by just looking for the identifying components of each equation.
10. Defining, Translating, & Solving One-Step Equations
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can write a simple math equation when you are given a word problem. Learn how to translate words into math symbols. Learn the shortcuts to remember.
11. Solving Equations Using the Addition Principle
In algebra, we have certain principles that we use to help us solve equations quickly and easily. The addition principle is one of them. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can apply it to solve your equations.
12. Solving Equations Using the Multiplication Principle
When it comes to solving equations in algebra, one of the essential skills you need is the ability to multiply. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can use the multiplication principle to isolate your variable.
13. Solving Equations Using Both Addition and Multiplication Principles
Most times in algebra, to solve for your variable, you will need to perform more than one operation to get your answer. Watch this video lesson to learn the proper steps to take to solve these equations.
14. Collecting Like Terms On One Side of an Equation
When you are using algebra to solve your problems, one of your biggest and most often used methods is that of collecting like terms. Watch this video lesson to see how it is done.
15. Solving Equations Containing Parentheses
When we have parentheses in our equations it changes the way we solve them. Now we have an added step to do to remove those parentheses. Watch this video lesson to learn how it is done.
16. Solving Equations with Infinite Solutions or No Solutions
In algebra, there are two scenarios that give us interesting results. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can distinguish problems that have no answers and problems that have an infinite number of answers.
17. Translating Words to Algebraic Expressions
When it comes to word problems, the easiest way to solve them is to look for keywords and change them into math symbols. Watch this video lesson to find out what keywords you should look for and what math symbols they represent.
18. How to Solve One-Step Algebra Equations in Word Problems
Word problems may be considered the most evil math invention ever, but never fear! Just watch this video lesson and you will know how to methodically translate these word problems into simple math and then to solve it.
19. How to Solve Equations with Multiple Steps
In algebra, when you want to solve an equation for a particular variable, you will need to perform multiple steps that include adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing. Watch this video lesson to learn the order you need to do these steps.
20. How to Solve Multi-Step Algebra Equations in Word Problems
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to solve word problems like a pro. Learn how to setup your problem, write your equations and then solve your equations to find your answer.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the High School Algebra I: Homeschool Curriculum course
- Basic Arithmetic Review: Homeschool Curriculum
- Solving Math Word Problems: Homeschool Curriculum
- Decimals & Fractions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Percent Notation: Homeschool Curriculum
- Working with Real Numbers: Homeschool Curriculum
- Exponents & Exponential Expressions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Simplifying Square Roots: Homeschool Curriculum
- Composing Functions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Matrices & Absolute Value: Homeschool Curriculum
- Working With Inequalities: Homeschool Curriculum
- Properties of Exponents: Homeschool Curriculum
- Imaginary Numbers: Homeschool Curriculum
- Algebraic Distribution: Homeschool Curriculum
- Writing Linear Equations: Homeschool Curriculum
- Factoring in Algebra: Homeschool Curriculum
- Graphing & Factoring Quadratic Equations: Homeschool Curriculum
- Properties of Polynomial Functions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Rational Expressions & Equations: Homeschool Curriculum
- Cubic Equations: Homeschool Curriculum
- Solving Quadratics: Homeschool Curriculum
- Measurement & Geometry: Homeschool Curriculum
- Percent & Proportions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Data, Statistics & Probability: Homeschool Curriculum
- Well-Known Equations: Homeschool Curriculum