About This Chapter
Algebraic Functions - Chapter Summary
Watch the short and engaging video lessons in this chapter to examine algebraic functions. Instructors in the lessons review a variety of related concepts, including the distributive property, negative signs, common algebraic equations and addition and multiplication principles. You'll also gain greater insight into how to solve equations using one, two, and multiple steps, as well as how to write and solve linear equations. After watching the video lessons, you should be able to:
- Determine the order of operations in math
- Understand how to combine like terms in algebraic expressions
- Explain negative signs and how to simplify algebraic expressions
- Identify linear, quadratic and other common algebraic equations
- Solve equations using addition and multiplication principles
- Translate words to algebraic expressions
- Understand how to solve one-step algebra equations in word problems
- Exhibit how to solve a system of linear equations in two variables
You can use the video lessons to review algebraic functions or learn the concepts for the first time. Instructors in the videos provide an in-depth overview of the materials, while presenting information in a fun visual format. If you prefer to learn on-the-go, you can watch the videos via your mobile device. Each lesson offers a short self-assessment quiz that can help you determine how much information you've absorbed. A chapter exam is also accessible when you're ready to test your comprehension of all the lessons.
1. What Is The Order of Operations in Math? - Definition & Examples
The order of operations is the steps used to simplify any mathematical expression. In this video, learn how to solve problems using these steps and easy tricks to remember them.
2. The Distributive Property and Algebraic Expressions
The order of operations is great. But sometimes we need to bend the rules to simplify an equation. Fortunately, the distributive property gives us a scenario in which this is okay. Learn all about it in this lesson.
3. Combining Like Terms in Algebraic Expressions
When you have an algebraic expression that's much too long, it would be great if you could simplify it. That's when knowing how to combine like terms comes in. In this lesson, we'll learn the process of combining like terms and practice simplifying expressions.
4. Negative Signs and Simplifying Algebraic Expressions
Don't let negative signs get you down. In this lesson, we'll stay positive as we practice simplifying algebraic expressions that have those tricky negative signs.
5. Expressing Relationships as Algebraic Expressions
What do you do when you don't know what a number is but you do know how it relates to something else? You use an algebraic expression. In this lesson, we'll learn how to express relationships as algebraic expressions.
6. Common Algebraic Equations: Linear, Quadratic, Polynomial, and More
Watch this video lesson to see the kinds of equations that you will come across most often in algebra. Learn to distinguish them by just looking for the identifying components of each equation.
7. Solving Equations Using Both Addition and Multiplication Principles
Most times in algebra, to solve for your variable, you will need to perform more than one operation to get your answer. Watch this video lesson to learn the proper steps to take to solve these equations.
8. Solving Equations Containing Parentheses
When we have parentheses in our equations it changes the way we solve them. Now we have an added step to do to remove those parentheses. Watch this video lesson to learn how it is done.
9. Translating Words to Algebraic Expressions
When it comes to word problems, the easiest way to solve them is to look for keywords and change them into math symbols. Watch this video lesson to find out what keywords you should look for and what math symbols they represent.
10. How to Solve One-Step Algebra Equations in Word Problems
Word problems may be considered the most evil math invention ever, but never fear! Just watch this video lesson and you will know how to methodically translate these word problems into simple math and then to solve it.
11. How to Solve Equations with Multiple Steps
In algebra, when you want to solve an equation for a particular variable, you will need to perform multiple steps that include adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing. Watch this video lesson to learn the order you need to do these steps.
12. How to Write a Linear Equation
Simply knowing how to take a linear equation and graph it is only half of the battle. You should also be able to come up with the equation if you're given the right information.
13. How to Solve a System of Linear Equations in Two Variables
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can solve a system of linear equations in two variables by using the substitution method. Learn how easy it is to use on any linear system in two variables.
14. How to Solve Multi-Step Algebra Equations in Word Problems
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to solve word problems like a pro. Learn how to setup your problem, write your equations and then solve your equations to find your answer.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the OGET Oklahoma General Education Test (CEOE) (174): Practice & Study Guide course
- Reading Comprehension
- Writing Structure & Organization
- Analyzing & Interpreting Literary Passages
- Evaluating Arguments & Reasoning
- Audience & Purpose in Writing
- Parts of Speech in English Grammar
- Sentence Elements & Structure
- Standard Conventions of Essay Writing
- Interpreting & Analyzing Mathematical Data
- Logic & Problem Solving in Math
- Fractions & Mixed Numbers
- Decimals, Percents & Ratios
- Exponents & Scientific Notation
- Geometric Shapes & Properties
- Elements of Punctuation & Grammar
- Developing & Writing an Essay
- Writing Skills Development
- OGET Oklahoma General Education Test (CEOE) (074) Flashcards