About This Chapter
Who's it for?
Anyone who needs help preparing for the math portion of the GMAT will benefit from taking this course. You will be able to grasp the subject matter faster, retain critical knowledge longer and earn better grades. You're in the right place if you:
- Have fallen behind in understanding the definition of a linear equation, as well as how to solve linear equations with literal coefficients.
- Need an efficient way to learn about algebraic linear equations and inequalities.
- Learn best with engaging auditory and visual tools.
- Struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD.
- Experience difficulty understanding your teachers.
- Missed class time and need to catch up.
- Can't access extra math resources at school.
How it works:
- Start at the beginning, or identify the topics that you need help with.
- Watch and learn from fun videos, reviewing as needed.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Submit questions to one of our instructors for personalized support if you need extra help.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Algebraic Linear Equations and Inequalities chapter exam.
Why it works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Algebraic Linear Equations and Inequalities chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any relevant question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students will review:
In this chapter, you'll learn the answers to questions including:
- How do I solve or write a linear equation?
- How do I work with a system of equations?
- What steps should I use to solve a system of equations with two unknowns?
- What is an inequality, and how can I solve a linear inequality?
1. What is a Linear Equation?
Most cars won't be able to run for more than 250,000 miles, so how much longer will your car live? Linear Equations are the most basic kind of algebraic function and can help you answer questions exactly like this. Learn about what they look like, how they come up in your life and why they are powerful tools.
2. How to Write a Linear Equation
Simply knowing how to take a linear equation and graph it is only half of the battle. You should also be able to come up with the equation if you're given the right information.
3. Solving Linear Equations: Practice Problems
With practice, linear equations can be straightforward to solve. In this lesson, we'll define linear equations and learn how to solve them. We'll look at multiple practice problems and walk through solving each one.
4. Solving Linear Equations with Literal Coefficients
In this lesson, we'll literally learn about literal coefficients. We'll look at how to solve linear equations that contain literal coefficients and practice solving several problems.
5. Problem solving using Linear Equations
From sale prices to trip distances, many real life problems can be solved using linear equations. In this lesson, we'll practice translating word problems into linear equations, then solving the problems.
6. What is a System of Equations?
So what happens if we want to compare more than one equation? Welcome to a 'system' of equations! Learn what one is, how to solve them and when they come up in real life.
7. How Do I Use a System of Equations?
There are a few classic algebra word problems, such as the one about two trains traveling at different speeds. In this lesson, you'll learn how to take a word problem and convert it into the system of equations that will allow you to find the answer using either substitution or elimination.
8. Solving a System of Equations with Two Unknowns
When you have two variables and two equations, is solving the problem four times as hard? No! Not when you use the substitution or elimination method to solve systems of equations. We'll practice both in this lesson.
9. Solving Problems Involving Systems of Equations
Did you ever encounter a problem where you seem to have lots of information, but still have a couple of critical numbers missing? In this lesson, we'll practice solving word problems that require us to set up systems of equations.
10. What is an Inequality?
Deciding how to spend your money can be a tricky thing. Should you save it, invest it, or enjoy it? Learn how inequalities can help you make your decision!
11. Solving Linear Inequalities: Practice Problems
Linear inequalities may look intimidating, but they're really not much different than linear equations. In this lesson, we'll practice solving a variety of linear inequalities.
12. Horizontal Asymptotes: Definition & Rules
Given a particular function, there is actually a 2-step procedure we can use to find the horizontal asymptote. Learn what that is in this lesson along with the rules that horizontal asymptotes follow.
13. Linear Inequality: Solving, Graphing & Problems
If you can solve linear equations, you can solve linear inequalities. In this lesson, you will learn how similar the solving processes are. You will also learn the notations you need to use when graphing linear inequalities.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GMAT Prep: Help and Review course
- Basic Arithmetic Calculations: Help and Review
- Rational Numbers: Help and Review
- Decimals and Percents: Help and Review
- Data & Statistics: Help and Review
- Basic Algebraic Expressions: Help and Review
- Exponents: Help and Review
- Algebra - Absolute Value Equations & Inequalities: Help and Review
- Algebra - Polynomials: Help and Review
- Algebra - Rational Expressions: Help and Review
- Perimeter, Area & Volume: Help and Review
- Geometric Properties of Objects: Help and Review
- Geometric Graphing Basics: Help and Review
- Geometric Graphing Functions: Help and Review
- Writing Conventions - Grammar: Help and Review
- Usage in Writing: Help and Review
- Reading Comprehension for Test-Taking: Help and Review
- Critical Reasoning for Test-Taking: Help and Review
- Practical Applications for Test-Taking: Help and Review
- Essay Writing Basics: Help and Review
- Essay Clarity: Help and Review
- Editing Your Writing: Help and Review
- Practicing Analytical Writing: Help and Review
- GMAT Test: General Info
- GMAT Prep Flashcards