About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other GMAT prep work.
- Identify the algebraic linear equations and inequalities concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our GMAT prep tutoring solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn algebraic linear equations and inequalities and prepare for the exam. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding how to write a linear equation, solve a linear equation, use a system of equations, solve linear inequalities or any other algebraic linear equations and inequalities topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their algebra learning
- Prefer learning algebra visually
- Find themselves struggling to prepare for the GMAT
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in preparing for the GMAT
- Don't have access to their GMAT prep instructor outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning algebraic linear equations and inequalities simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live GMAT tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn algebraic linear equations and inequalities on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Define and learn to write linear equations.
- Discover how to solve linear equations, including those with literal coefficients.
- Complete practice problems with linear equations.
- Define and explain how to use a system of equations, including those with two unknowns.
- Solve problems with inequalities and linear inequalities.
1. What is a Linear Equation?
Most cars won't be able to run for more than 250,000 miles, so how much longer will your car live? Linear Equations are the most basic kind of algebraic function and can help you answer questions exactly like this. Learn about what they look like, how they come up in your life and why they are powerful tools.
2. How to Write a Linear Equation
Simply knowing how to take a linear equation and graph it is only half of the battle. You should also be able to come up with the equation if you're given the right information.
3. Solving Linear Equations: Practice Problems
With practice, linear equations can be straightforward to solve. In this lesson, we'll define linear equations and learn how to solve them. We'll look at multiple practice problems and walk through solving each one.
4. Solving Linear Equations with Literal Coefficients
In this lesson, we'll literally learn about literal coefficients. We'll look at how to solve linear equations that contain literal coefficients and practice solving several problems.
5. Problem solving using Linear Equations
From sale prices to trip distances, many real life problems can be solved using linear equations. In this lesson, we'll practice translating word problems into linear equations, then solving the problems.
6. What is a System of Equations?
So what happens if we want to compare more than one equation? Welcome to a 'system' of equations! Learn what one is, how to solve them and when they come up in real life.
7. How Do I Use a System of Equations?
There are a few classic algebra word problems, such as the one about two trains traveling at different speeds. In this lesson, you'll learn how to take a word problem and convert it into the system of equations that will allow you to find the answer using either substitution or elimination.
8. Solving a System of Equations with Two Unknowns
When you have two variables and two equations, is solving the problem four times as hard? No! Not when you use the substitution or elimination method to solve systems of equations. We'll practice both in this lesson.
9. Solving Problems Involving Systems of Equations
Did you ever encounter a problem where you seem to have lots of information, but still have a couple of critical numbers missing? In this lesson, we'll practice solving word problems that require us to set up systems of equations.
10. What is an Inequality?
Deciding how to spend your money can be a tricky thing. Should you save it, invest it, or enjoy it? Learn how inequalities can help you make your decision!
11. Solving Linear Inequalities: Practice Problems
Linear inequalities may look intimidating, but they're really not much different than linear equations. In this lesson, we'll practice solving a variety of linear inequalities.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GMAT Prep: Tutoring Solution course
- Basic Arithmetic Calculations: Tutoring Solution
- Rational Numbers: Tutoring Solution
- Decimals and Percents: Tutoring Solution
- Data & Statistics: Tutoring Solution
- Basic Algebraic Expressions: Tutoring Solution
- Exponents: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra - Absolute Value Equations & Inequalities: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra - Polynomials: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra - Rational Expressions: Tutoring Solution
- Perimeter, Area & Volume: Tutoring Solution
- Geometric Properties of Objects: Tutoring Solution
- Geometric Graphing Basics: Tutoring Solution
- Geometric Graphing Functions: Tutoring Solution
- Conventions in Writing - Grammar: Tutoring Solution
- Usage Conventions in Writing: Tutoring Solution
- Reading Comprehension for Test-Taking: Tutoring Solution
- Critical Reasoning for Test-Taking: Tutoring Solution
- Practical Applications for Test-Taking: Tutoring Solution
- Essay Writing Basics: Tutoring Solution
- Essay Clarity: Tutoring Solution
- Editing Your Writing: Tutoring Solution
- Practicing Analytical Writing: Tutoring Solution