About This Chapter
Algebraic Word Problems - Chapter Summary
The engaging video lessons in this chapter will refresh your skills in solving algebraic word problems and perhaps teach you some new strategies for simplifying the process. Instructors explain how to use math manipulatives, coordinate planes and scatter plots with word problems. You'll also practice solving problems using algebraic expressions. After you've studied the chapter's videos, you'll be able to:
- Identify the steps to solving word problems
- Solve more complex word problems involving multiple steps
- Use images and notes to restate word problems
- Increase comprehension by personalizing word problems
- Solve word problems using math manipulatives
- Use a coordinate plane's plotted data to solve word problems
- Answer word problems using scatter plots
- Solve word problems with algebraic addition and subtraction expressions
- Answer problems using algebraic multiplication and division expressions
Typically lasting under 10 minutes, our videos contain a jump feature in the timeline so you can go back and rewatch example problems or explanations. You can also study transcripts of the videos, which highlight key terms and offer an alternative way to learn to solve word problems. Once you're ready, take the multiple-choice lessons quizzes to gauge your comprehension of the material.
1. Solving Word Problems: Steps & Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can solve word problems by following this 3-step process. Learn how to visualize your problem so you fully understand it. Then learn how to write and solve your equations.
2. Solving Word Problems with Multiple Steps
Not all word problems are so straightforward that they only require you to do one operation and you're done. Some are more complicated, requiring several steps. Watch this video lesson to learn how to solve these kinds of problems.
3. Restating Word Problems Using Words or Images
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can use sketches and notes to help you visualize a problem. Watch how easy it becomes to solve your problem once you have visualized it.
4. Personalizing a Word Problem to Increase Understanding
When it comes to word problems, being able to personalize a word problem with more familiar situations will help you a lot in your problem solving. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can restate the word problem in terms you understand.
5. How to Use Math Manipulatives to Answer Word Problems
After watching this video lesson, you will see what a math manipulative is, how you can use almost anything as a math manipulative, and how you can use these manipulatives to help you solve word problems.
6. Solving Word Problems with Plotted Data on a Coordinate Plane
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to solve word problems that involve plotted points on a coordinate plane. Learn how to choose the right points that will answer your question.
7. How to Use Scatter Plots to Solve Word Problems
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can use a scatter plot to help you solve a word problem. You will see how easy it becomes to solve your problem once you have your scatter plot.
8. Solving Word Problems with Algebraic Addition Expressions
After going over this lesson, you will be able to solve addition word problems. You will know how to write an algebraic expression that you can solve to find your answer.
9. Solving Word Problems with Algebraic Subtraction Expressions
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to solve word problems that involve writing out algebraic expressions. Learn what words to look for to help you solve your problem quickly and easily.
10. Solving Word Problems with Algebraic Multiplication Expressions
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can solve word problems that involve the multiplication operation. Learn how to write your expression and then how to solve the expression to find your answer.
11. Solving Word Problems with Algebraic Division Expressions
After watching this video lesson, you will know how to solve word problems that involve the division operator. Learn how to set up your word problem and write an appropriate algebraic expression that you can solve.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Accuplacer Elementary Algebra Test: Practice & Study Guide course
- Performing Basic Arithmetic
- Computation with Integers
- Negative Numbers
- Absolute Value
- Solving & Graphing Rational Numbers
- Operations with Monomials and Polynomials
- Rational Roots
- Working with Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- Simplifying Algebraic Fractions
- Factoring in Algebra
- Solving & Graphing Linear Equations
- Overview of Inequalities
- Quadratic Equations
- Number Line & the Coordinate Graph
- Fundamental Algebraic Expressions
- Algebraic Distribution
- Writing Algebraic Expressions
- Writing & Solving One-Step Equations
- Writing & Solving Multi-Step Equations