About This Chapter
AMA PCM Exam: Advertising, Public Relations & Sales Promotion - Chapter Summary
In this chapter we cover the definition of advertising, strategies for ad campaigns, the effects of advertising on consumer behavior, and the use of testimonials in advertising. The content in this chapter falls under Domain 7: Marketing Communication in the AMA PCM Body of Knowledge, which the exam is designed to test. Other topics covered in this chapter include:
- Celebrity endorsement: pro and con
- Choice of advertising media
- Advertising abuses and regulations
- Public relations management
- Consumer sales promotion
- Sales promotion tools
The video lessons are mostly under ten minutes long. They are accompanied by a topic-searchable timeline that will enable you to go back and review only the parts of the video you want. Text lessons are brief, as well, and feature highlighted vocabulary words. Lesson quizzes and a chapter exam are included for your self-assessment.
1. What is Advertising? - Definition & Examples
The greatest product or service in the world won't make money unless consumers know it exists. In this lesson, you'll learn the definition of advertising, common advertising media, and read some examples of effective advertising.
2. Ad Campaign: Strategy & Examples
Companies must find effective ways to market their products and services to current and potential customers. By following the four steps in this lesson, a business owner can create an effective ad campaign.
3. Effects of Advertising on Consumer Buying Behavior
How does advertising influence the process of consumer buying behavior? What impact does advertising have on a company's market share, and how does this shape the marketing budget? This lesson describes why advertising is so important - particularly for newer companies.
4. Testimonials in Advertising: Definition & Examples
The use of testimonials in advertising is a marketing strategy that relies upon previously satisfied customers' statements of approval to promote a product or service. In this lesson, you will learn what testimonials in advertising are, how they are effective, and where they might be found.
5. Celebrity Endorsements in Advertising: Definition, Benefits & Examples
Companies have various methods of creating convincing advertising campaigns. In this lesson, you will learn the benefits and drawbacks of choosing celebrity endorsements as an advertising method.
6. Advertising Media Choices and Marketing Strategy
There are many different types of advertising media that marketing managers can choose from in order to create a successful marketing strategy. This lesson covers some of those options, including printed media, television and outdoor media.
7. Advertising Abuses & Regulation
Companies do not always act ethically when trying to persuade consumers to purchase their products. In this lesson, we will discuss the various ways in which advertising can be abused and take a look at controversial advertising and regulation of advertising.
8. Public Relations Management: Skills, Activities & Departmental Structure
Companies utilize a public relations team to create mutually beneficial relationships between organizations and stakeholders. In this lesson, you will learn about public relations management, skills, activities, and the departmental structure.
9. Consumer Sales Promotion: Definition and Purpose
Manufacturers offer many kinds of incentives to encourage consumers to buy their products once they reach a retailer. Watch this video to learn more about how consumer sales promotion entices customers to buy.
10. Sales Promotion in the Promotional Marketing Mix
Marketers use a wide range of sales promotion tools to incentivize consumers and intermediaries to buy. Watch this video to learn more about these tools and how they work.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AMA PCM Exam Study Guide - Professional Certified Marketer course
- AMA PCM Exam: Fundamentals of Marketing
- AMA PCM Exam: Marketing Ethics
- AMA PCM Exam: Marketing Analysis
- AMA PCM Exam: Consumer Behavior
- AMA PCM Exam: Business-to-Business Marketing
- AMA PCM Exam: Global Marketing
- AMA PCM Exam: Segment Targeting & Positioning
- AMA PCM Exam: Marketing Research
- AMA PCM Exam: Branding & Packaging Decisions
- AMA PCM Exam: Products & Services
- AMA PCM Exam: Pricing Concepts & Methods
- AMA PCM Exam: Supply Chain & Channel Management
- AMA PCM Exam: Retailing & Multichannel Marketing
- AMA PCM Exam: Integrated Marketing Communications
- AMA PCM Exam: Direct Marketing & CRM
- AMA PCM Exam: Interactive Marketing - Internet/Social Media
- AMA PCM Exam: Interactive Marketing - Personal Selling & Sales Management
- AMA PCM Exam: Marketing Metrics
- AMA PCM Exam Study Guide - Professional Certified Marketer Flashcards