About This Chapter
AMA PCM Exam: Consumer Behavior - Chapter Summary
Familiarity with the consumer decision-making process is essential when developing products and devising marketing and advertising campaigns. Learn more about the topic before you go on to sit for the AMA PCM Exam. Review the key components and influences of consumer behavior through these insightful video lessons that explore concepts like:
- Identifying consumer decision-making processes and strategies for utilizing them in marketing
- Comparing functional and psychological needs
- Determining control and risk factors that influence information search
- Preventing cognitive dissonance in the post-purchase process
- Distinguishing the factors that affect consumer buying decisions
- Using consumer involvement to influence the decision-making process
After being thoroughly guided through the information in these engaging video lessons by expert instructors, utilize the lesson quizzes and practice exam to assess your AMA PCM Exam-readiness on these topics. These multiple-choice assessments are available online and in a printable version, along with full video transcripts for a comprehensive studying experience. Direct links are placed throughout the quizzes to redirect you to specific points within the videos to allow for easy and quick review of any number of topics.
1. Understanding the Consumer Decision-Making Process: A Marketing Must
In this lesson, you'll see how a consumer moves through a decision making process in order to purchase a product or service. Learn what methods marketers use to take advantage of this process.
2. Functional & Psychological Needs: Definition & Differences
People shop to fulfill two different needs. Some consumers have functional needs that are satisfied when the purchase makes logical sense. Psychological needs are met when the product can be connected with emotion.
3. Information Search: Control & Risk Factors
There are various control and risk factors involved in the information search stage of the consumer buying process. These control and risk factors will affect a buyer's final decisions. Every marketing professional should be familiar with the specific controls and risks of their target market.
4. Cognitive Dissonance & Post-Purchase Process
Have you ever second-guessed a major purchase? Watch this video to understand what cognitive dissonance is and how marketers can keep us from experiencing it.
5. Influences on Consumer Buying Decisions: Cultures, Values & More
External influences are all around us and play a large role in our buying decisions. Watch this video to see how cultures, values and other influences shape our purchases.
6. Consumer Involvement in the Decision-Making Process
How involved are you when purchasing a new product or service? This lesson will take a look at the different levels of consumer involvement in the decision-making process.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AMA PCM Exam Study Guide - Professional Certified Marketer course
- AMA PCM Exam: Fundamentals of Marketing
- AMA PCM Exam: Marketing Ethics
- AMA PCM Exam: Marketing Analysis
- AMA PCM Exam: Business-to-Business Marketing
- AMA PCM Exam: Global Marketing
- AMA PCM Exam: Segment Targeting & Positioning
- AMA PCM Exam: Marketing Research
- AMA PCM Exam: Branding & Packaging Decisions
- AMA PCM Exam: Products & Services
- AMA PCM Exam: Pricing Concepts & Methods
- AMA PCM Exam: Supply Chain & Channel Management
- AMA PCM Exam: Retailing & Multichannel Marketing
- AMA PCM Exam: Integrated Marketing Communications
- AMA PCM Exam: Advertising, Public Relations & Sales Promotion
- AMA PCM Exam: Direct Marketing & CRM
- AMA PCM Exam: Interactive Marketing - Internet/Social Media
- AMA PCM Exam: Interactive Marketing - Personal Selling & Sales Management
- AMA PCM Exam: Marketing Metrics
- AMA PCM Exam Study Guide - Professional Certified Marketer Flashcards