About This Chapter
AMA PCM Exam: Segment Targeting & Positioning - Chapter Summary
Learn about why it is critical to segment the market and identify key targets for marketing efforts. Also explore the five ways that markets can be segmented to increase sales opportunities. The material covered here has relevance to Domain 3: Understanding & Targeting the Marketplace, representing 30% of the AMA PCM Certification Exam. Other topics covered by the instructors include:
- Positioning strategies
- Differentiation of products and brands
- Brand repositioning
- Value proposition in marketing
Our video lessons include an interactive timeline that enables you to search for and jump to any major topic you need to review. Text lessons put key words and phrases in bold type. Additionally, instructors are here to answer your questions via the system interface. Lastly, the lesson quizzes and chapter exam are a great way to make sure you have mastered the material presented.
1. Market Segmentation: Why Market Segments Are Important to Marketers
Marketing managers must understand the importance of segmenting a market and the specific criteria for successful segmentation. Before the 1960's, most companies tried to market products to the masses with declining success. It is important to identify key target markets!
2. Market Segmentation: Geographic, Demographic, Psychographic & More
Marketers must be effective at creating niche segments to promote and sell their products or services. There are five specific ways that markets can be segmented in order to create a successful sales opportunity.
3. Positioning Strategy: Definition & Examples
Manufacturing and service firms need to find a business area that will allow them to be competitive in the marketplace. In this lesson, we will examine different positioning strategies through examples.
4. Positioning and Differentiation in Consumer Marketing
Consumers' perceptions of products and brands are influenced by the marketing and promotional plan. Marketers must identify the key characteristics that are important to the target market and then ensure that their product stands out in the minds of the consumers as the best choice for purchase.
5. Brand Repositioning: Definition, Strategies & Examples
Is your company stuck in a rut? Are sales declining? It may be time for a change - a big change. This lesson reviews strategies a company can use to reposition itself in the marketplace and how to successfully implement them.
6. The Role of the Value Proposition in Marketing
A central strategy for marketers is value proposition, by which companies try to demonstrate why consumers should purchase their goods. This lesson shows how it works, as well as some real-life examples.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AMA PCM Exam Study Guide - Professional Certified Marketer course
- AMA PCM Exam: Fundamentals of Marketing
- AMA PCM Exam: Marketing Ethics
- AMA PCM Exam: Marketing Analysis
- AMA PCM Exam: Consumer Behavior
- AMA PCM Exam: Business-to-Business Marketing
- AMA PCM Exam: Global Marketing
- AMA PCM Exam: Marketing Research
- AMA PCM Exam: Branding & Packaging Decisions
- AMA PCM Exam: Products & Services
- AMA PCM Exam: Pricing Concepts & Methods
- AMA PCM Exam: Supply Chain & Channel Management
- AMA PCM Exam: Retailing & Multichannel Marketing
- AMA PCM Exam: Integrated Marketing Communications
- AMA PCM Exam: Advertising, Public Relations & Sales Promotion
- AMA PCM Exam: Direct Marketing & CRM
- AMA PCM Exam: Interactive Marketing - Internet/Social Media
- AMA PCM Exam: Interactive Marketing - Personal Selling & Sales Management
- AMA PCM Exam: Marketing Metrics
- AMA PCM Exam Study Guide - Professional Certified Marketer Flashcards